Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tom Scholz on Why Digital Sucks ... again

"david correia" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"david correia" wrote in message

"Endless anal-retentive studio twiddling" applies to
just about any serious recording engineer.

Within reason.

What does reason have to do with art?

A great deal .

**** reason.

That's a choice you get to make.

One thing about Tom is he knows exactly what he likes,
and that's what he wants. Period. I find this a good
quality to have in this biz.

I seem to recall that he spent so much time in the
studio polishing a sequel album that he:

(1) Frustrated innumerable fans, reviewers and record
company executives to or beyond their mental limits.

(2) Twiddled away immeasurable momentum in the
marketplace.

So what??

His gun, his bullet, his foot.

It's his career, his life? Same goes for the royalty checks.

Sure he has the right to make whatever (legal) choices he wishes to make,
and even maybe a few illegal ones. Doesn't mean that everybody should
worship him.

If he was a slut, the guy would've banged out an album
every year back then. The other side of the coin says it
showed integrity. Or stupidity. Choose what you like.

I made my choice from that list. You seem to have problems with me making my
choice and expressing it.

(3) Filled the world with record company executives and
promoters who ran the other way when they saw him coming.

Maybe this is a good thing. ;

Agreed. ;-)

(4) Created a body of work that was somewhat
disappointing, given 1-3 above.

Ya, his early stuff is what people listen to.

I prefer artists who grow over the long haul.

I only listen to radio in the car - I usually listen to
WEEI, the sports radio for everything
Pats/Sox/Celts/not-much-Bruins - and while clicking
around I still hear those early Boston songs. To me that
is quite impressive. Cuz my ride to work is not very far.

Like him/his music or not, his twiddling certainly has
paid off.

Within bounds that he created by not knowing when to
stop fiddling.

There's that word again - reason. And "bounds".

If an artist's art is just for him, then I obviously could care less. If an
artist's work is for other people to enjoy, then reason and bounds can quite
easily intrude.

To me, this is the bottom line: If he knew "when to stop
fiddling", we likely would never have heard of TS.

That could be true, or not. He obviously stopped at about the right time for
the early work.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
Romeo Rondeau wrote:

I can tell you that my dealings with him were the opposite of asshole.

You didn't eat any meat in front of him, did you? lol

I really liked having all the excellent veggie food around. I ate my
last hamburger in 1973.

OK, Well I guess we are all getting the wrong impression of him from all
of the snobby bull**** he writes and all of the stupid **** he says in
interviews. Not to mention the stupid T-shirts the guy wears. Go figure.
You must be an exceptional human being indeed to deal with him and not
think he's an asshole. Hat's off to you, you are truly superior. :-)

In my 28 years, I can think of only 2 people I had to deal with that I
would call assholes. One was an advertising exec from NYC, the other a
classical pianist who lived a chunk of her life in NYC. (Do we see a
pattern here ???)

I've always got along real well with wackos ahem musicians. Hell,
Holden Caulfield was my role model in high school.

What's nice is I own the biz, and can tell anyone to take a walk.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:
In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:47:43 +1200, "geoff"
wrote:

I posted an interview with Scholz on this subject a few years ago.
Taken from a new interview, this comment made me scratch my head: "The
combinations of only 16-bit resolution and only a 44.1-kHz sampling
rate absolutely demolishes any part of the signal above 10k."

In your experience, is that true?

It is a pity that fools get accorded 'airplay' on a subject that they
clearly understand little about, because of some other subject that they
may
have some skill in.

Who's Tom Scholz anyway?

he's a musician famous for soulless guitar sounds (later packaged into an FX
box), endless
anal-retentive studio twiddling, and his band 'Boston', which was at the
vanguard of the
corporate, reverb-bathed hard/prog hybrid 'arena' rock that became way too
popular in the
mid-70s.

"Endless anal-retentive studio twiddling" applies to just about any
serious recording engineer.

Do they typically take as long as Scholz has, to finish work on an album?
Or are they more 'serious' the longer they take?

(Is Axel Rose really, really, REALLY serious?)

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"