Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default CD Production in Audition 1.5

Last night I was trying to help a friend make a CD using Audition. The
job got done, but it wasn't as simple as I had expected. Part of this
post is going to be my usual gripe about how nonsensical a DAW can be
when you know what you want to do and how you want to do it, but it's
also a request for help, if there's a way to do what I was hoping I
could do and we just didn't find the right button.

She's a radio broadcaster, good at setting up mics for live recordings,
smart enough to set and ride levels, and a whiz at editing, even on a
computer although she grew up on tape. But she doesn't do well with
computer software documentation (and honestly, neither do I). Her
station has a site license for Audition, so that's the program she has
installed on her computer at home, and it's the program that she wants
to use, so we stuck with it.

The project was pretty straightforward. She has a concert recording
(actually about 100 of them, about 30 years of recordings of a local
contemporary classical music group) and wants to make a CD with a track
index for each piece. Not a big deal. She's transferred the DAT source
to the computer using Audition and has a 68 minute file that she cleaned
up with a little editing to remove long portions of dead air and
annoying noises. What she needed help with was inserting the track
markers so that they'd show up on the CD.

I was expecting that Audition supported this feature in a similar way to
programs I use for that function - Nero (most often), CD Architect,
Wavelab, and Spin It Again. In those programs, I can place markers in
the large file, tell it to (virtually) split it into CD tracks, and then
burn the CD. With the stereo waveform view on the screen, I found the CD
Track Mark function in Audition, inserted six markers at the appropriate
places, and then went to the CD view, hoping to find either 7 tracks in
front of me or a command somewhere that would create tracks at the
marked points. But I couldn't find that function anywhere. All I had was
a single entry on the CD View screen, one track 68 minutes long.

The real question - Did I miss the memo? Is there a button on there that
does this, or is that function simply not available in Audition 1.5? We
had no printed manual, only the HTML documentation. That seemed to
suggest that what I was trying to do was possible, but it didn't go far
enough to explain exactly how to do it.

We eventually accomplished the job by using the markers as an aid to
selecting portions of the long file and using the (something like)
"Insert on the CD track list" function which I think came up with
right-clicking on the selection. That was a fairly quick process, but it
was one more set of steps that I was hoping to avoid. When all the
sections were on the CD View track list, a CD was burned without a
hitch. It just seemed that it should be easier than that.

Another thing that I was surprised that I couldn't find a way to do was
to play the tracks from the CD view, as if I was using a CD player or CD
player program. We wanted to do this just to be sure we had the
selections in the correct order. Is there a way to do that?

All in all, a very frustrating evening, but with ultimate success after
doing what the program would allow me to do. Audition has a good
reputation, so it's hard for me to believe that it's missing a simple
way to separate a long progrma into CD tracks. Not to say (yet) that it
doesn't have this feature, just that we couldn't find it. It could be
just a matter of not knowing this particular program's vocabulary, but I
think we tried everything within reason.

Help, anyone?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:06:20 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Last night I was trying to help a friend make a CD using Audition. The
job got done, but it wasn't as simple as I had expected. Part of this
post is going to be my usual gripe about how nonsensical a DAW can be
when you know what you want to do and how you want to do it, but it's
also a request for help, if there's a way to do what I was hoping I
could do and we just didn't find the right button.

I haven't got an early copy of Audition handy. But in Audition 3 it's
CTRL-F8 for an Index marker, CTRL-SHIFT-F8 for a Track marker.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

[...]

Once you have inserted track marks in Audition/CEP, you need to save the
file as individual tracks.

That's a two-step process:

(1) Open the Cue List (View, Show Cue List), and Merge the Track Marks,
producing a track list.
(a) Ensure there are track marks at the beginning and end of the
tracks you wish to save.
Usually that means one at t=0, and one at t=max.
(b) Open the Cue List and select all of the track marks you wish to
Merge.
(c) Press the Merge button and note that every selected entry on
the cue list now has both start and end times.

(2) Press the Batch button and watch Audition save the tracks.
Note that you may have to change the folder the tracks are saved
into,
and that you have the option to set the prefix for their names.

Now start your burning software. Specify that it is an Audio CD with no
silence between tracks (or Disk-At-Once). Add all the tracks making sure the
order is what you want, and burn.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 19, 8:27 am, Laurence Payne wrote:

I haven't got an early copy of Audition handy. But in Audition 3 it's
CTRL-F8 for an Index marker, CTRL-SHIFT-F8 for a Track marker.

That's what it is in the version my friend has. The problem we had was
that inserting the markers didn't seem to do anything for the CD view,
so there was no evidence that the long file would be indexed on the CD
at the marked points.

I suppose we could have tried burning a CD that looked (from
Audition's screen) as if it was only a single track and seen what came
out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 19, 9:10 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Once you have inserted track marks in Audition/CEP, you need to save the
file as individual tracks.

That's not what I expected to hear about a program that has built-in
CD burning capability, but you're the Audition expert.

[chop totally non-obvious process]

Now start your burning software.

But the intent was that Audition has a CD burning function, it IS the
burning software.

Like the example I keep giving about setting up an auxiliary send in a
DAW, I just expected this process to be more automatic, or at least
more transparent. For example, in the version of Nero that I have, I
put markers in the long file where I want the CD tracks to be, then
select "split at markers" and the "burn" list then has as many tracks
as I had divided sections. That's the kind of operation that I was
hoping for in Audition.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 19, 9:10 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

(2) Press the Batch button and watch Audition save the tracks.
Note that you may have to change the folder the tracks are saved
into,
and that you have the option to set the prefix for their names.

Oh, yeah, that was the other thing. After burning a successful CD, I
wanted to save everything, including the location of the track markers
and the CD track list that appears in the CD view. I figured that
"Save All" would do it but that was grayed out on the File menu. So I
just did a Save, figuring it knew what to do.

When closing the program, a message came up about having files ready
to burn on CD and that if I closed the program I couldn't un-do
whatever was lost. After closing and re-opening, neither the track
markers nor the CD track list were there.

Surprise!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

On Sep 19, 9:10 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Once you have inserted track marks in Audition/CEP, you
need to save the file as individual tracks.

That's not what I expected to hear about a program that
has built-in CD burning capability, but you're the
Audition expert.

Your comments, which I may have misinterpreted, suggested that you were
using external software to do the burning.

[chop totally non-obvious process]

Now start your burning software.

But the intent was that Audition has a CD burning
function, it IS the burning software.

Follow the procedure in the Help file. ;-)

Like the example I keep giving about setting up an
auxiliary send in a DAW, I just expected this process to
be more automatic, or at least more transparent. For
example, in the version of Nero that I have, I put
markers in the long file where I want the CD tracks to
be, then select "split at markers" and the "burn" list
then has as many tracks as I had divided sections. That's
the kind of operation that I was hoping for in Audition.

CEP 2.1 is the closest version of CEP to Audition 1.5 that I ever used. In
CEP 2.1 you would simply put track marks into the file, open the CD burning
window, copy the tracks you wanted to burn to a subwindow of tracks that
were to be burned, and burn them.

I have only Audition 2.0 installed, which is generally a vastly different
program than Audition 1.5 so I must bow out of the discussion at this time.
I never upgraded to 1.5, I went straight to 2.0.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

Your comments, which I may have misinterpreted, suggested that you were
using external software to do the burning.

Too easy. If we were going to use a different program to burn the CD it
would have been one that I know would make the job simple for her.

Follow the procedure in the Help file. ;-)

And that's where we reached the dead end.

CEP 2.1 is the closest version of CEP to Audition 1.5 that I ever used. In
CEP 2.1 you would simply put track marks into the file, open the CD burning
window, copy the tracks you wanted to burn to a subwindow of tracks that
were to be burned, and burn them.

I didn't see anything like a subwindow in the CD burning window, but
then I wasn't looking for one. There was only one track, not tracks,
there. The marks seemed to do nothing, at least in the views that I knew
to look for.

Personally I'd be willing to accept that this was simply the wrong
program to get the job done in the simplest and most intuitive manner.
It already exceeded my One Hour Software Rule (If I can't figure out how
to do what I want to do in an hour,the program goes), But my friend is
even a worse pigheaded luddite than I am (she just replaced her 1987
Chevy Malibu, wihch replaced her 1968 Saab, with a 2003 Taurus because
she didn't want to buy a foreign-branded car) and she's intent to use
Audition because that's the station's program. Unless someone comes up
with a more straightforward procedure, I'll try to get her into a
different program for this job.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Jancauskas Tom Jancauskas is offline

[...]

On the other different program list:

The Master version of Samplitude would be right up her alley. It will let
you do all of these things & more right from the main window.

She can also get the "prosumer" (Samplitude Music Studio) version at Best
Buy & the like for around $80.

There is a demo available at samplitude.com, or the magix.com (prosumer
version).

Mike I know you have used various samplitude versions before.

I have recommended this program to others & was was able to get them up &
running in about a half hour of training on it from me, using projects they
needed to get done.

The documentation is pretty well done.

YMMV

- Tom
--
Tom Jancauskas
Imedia

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

Good gawd! Makes me appreciate the old OS9 version of Waveburner Pro
that I still use.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 19, 11:02 am, Tom Jancauskas wrote:

Mike I know you have used various samplitude versions before.

I have Sequoia that I use pretty rarely, and I've wished that it had a
better manual, but once I figure out their name for what I want to do,
it's pretty intuitive. Come to think of it, I have made CDs with
tracks from a single CD-length audio file using the "mark it as such
and it will be so" method.

What I'd rather get her into is a program like Nero Version 5 that I
have. It's not too bloated, very straightforward, and does what needs
to be done. The only problem with it is that they stopped adding
drives to the list that it works with by the time that DVD drives came
along so it won't recognize her drive (nor a couple that I have,
either). I keep a couple of old CD drives working so I can continue to
use the program as long as I can stand it.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't yet come up with a freeware version
yet. CDBurnerXP looks and works very much like Nero, but it lacks the
"Indexes and Splits" function.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nowhere Man Nowhere Man is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Last night I was trying to help a friend make a CD using Audition. The
job got done, but it wasn't as simple as I had expected. Part of this
post is going to be my usual gripe about how nonsensical a DAW can be
when you know what you want to do and how you want to do it, but it's
also a request for help, if there's a way to do what I was hoping I
could do and we just didn't find the right button.

snip details

In Audition 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or the original CoolEditPro, to save
index and/or track markers you MUST tick the little box
which says "Save extra audio information" which is in the SAVE AS
dialogue pane.

If you subsequently re-open the file, you'll see the markers preserved.

The only gripe I have, and it is a minor one really, is that if you
later move or delete a marker, the program does not logically resequence
the numbers. This of course makes no difference to your burning
software, it should insert a track each time it encounters a marker,
regardless of the marker's number in Audition.

HTH

--
Peter C
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Gould wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
Last night I was trying to help a friend make a CD using
Audition. The job got done, but it wasn't as simple as I had
expected. Part of this post is going to be my usual gripe about
how nonsensical a DAW can be when you know what you want to do
and how you want to do it, but it's also a request for help, if
there's a way to do what I was hoping I could do and we just
didn't find the right button.

snip details

In Audition 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or the original CoolEditPro, to save
index and/or track markers you MUST tick the little box which says
"Save extra audio information" which is in the SAVE AS dialogue
pane.

If you subsequently re-open the file, you'll see the markers
preserved.

I realize that the CD burning option in CEP 2.1 was considered
incomplete, but it has always worked reliably for me, so I haven't
loaded the "upgrade" to Audition on my DAW. Has Adobe removed the
option to save the CD burning session, as CEP 2.1 allowed? If not,
one advantage to this approach is that the track information is
separate from the master WAV file, so different versions can be
loaded quickly by simply openning the CD burning session.

My workflow doesn't include preparing to burn using Adobe's "CD Project"
facility as I find it long-winded. In particular, I like to add CD-Text
for those players which can display Disc Name and Track Names. I find
this easier to do using NERO, having first electronically catalogued my
disc and track contents. These data can be copied from my database and
pasted into NERO, which saves time duplicating entries, and then the
disc burned.

The Help file with #1.5 says :

=============================

"You can assemble the tracks for a CD all at once, or you can insert
individual tracks as you finish editing the audio. After you insert
tracks, you can also change their order or remove them.

When you assemble audio for a CD, you'll probably want to fine tune
the individual tracks so that they form a cohesive whole. This
process--known as mastering--often involves cropping files, adjusting
dynamics (compressing), and comparing the audio for continuity levels
and EQ. (See About the mastering process and Normalizing groups of
files.)

Related Subtopics:

Inserting tracks Selecting tracks Rearranging tracks Removing tracks"

=================================

All this suggests that the information can be saved. I've not dug into
the Help file for Audition 2.0 as I rarely run the program, but I doubt
that the preparation and burning of CDs has changed. I'm too lazy to dig
out the user handbook for Audition 2.0. :-)

HTH

--
Peter C
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nowhere Man wrote:

In Audition 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or the original CoolEditPro, to save
index and/or track markers you MUST tick the little box
which says "Save extra audio information" which is in the SAVE AS
dialogue pane.

I think I may have done that, giving it a different name than what we
started with, but I didn't notice the "extra audio information" part. r
maybe I did and didn't think there was any extra audio information.

The only gripe I have, and it is a minor one really, is that if you
later move or delete a marker, the program does not logically resequence
the numbers. This of course makes no difference to your burning
software, it should insert a track each time it encounters a marker,
regardless of the marker's number in Audition.

Well, the problem (remember - the problem) is that Audition WAS my
burning software, and the markers (neither Index nor Track - I tried
both) caused the CD View to change from a single long track.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Gould wrote:

I realize that the CD burning option in CEP 2.1 was considered incomplete,
but it has always worked reliably for me, so I haven't loaded the "upgrade"
to Audition on my DAW.

Does your version create tracks in its CD view (if it even has a CD
view) at the times where markers were placed in the full length file?
That's what I was expecting ot happen, and I couldn't make it happen.

Has Adobe removed the option to save the CD burning
session, as CEP 2.1 allowed?

I didn't notice. I was expecting that to be included in the Save All but
Save All was grayed out so I couldn't do it anyway.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nowhere Man wrote:

My workflow doesn't include preparing to burn using Adobe's "CD Project"
facility as I find it long-winded. In particular, I like to add CD-Text
for those players which can display Disc Name and Track Names. I find
this easier to do using NERO

Nero makes a lot more sense to me, too, particularly for a simple job
like this one. The way things are going with this thread, I guess I
should convince her that the experts find that Audition 1.5 isn't really
suitable for the job. I'm disappointed that it isn't, but I guess it's
intended more for the user who records individual songs, usually
multitrack, and then mixes them in the program, so he has one file per
song. That's just as easy to handle in Audition as any other CD burning
program. But I guess it may not be capable of treating a single long
file with markers as if it were separate files, even though the
documentation suggests that it can.

But I'm still waiting for someone to say "It does, you dummy" and then
tell me how to do it so we can try it again with someone else's
instructions.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Nero makes a lot more sense to me, too, particularly for a simple job
like this one. The way things are going with this thread, I guess I
should convince her that the experts find that Audition 1.5 isn't
really suitable for the job.

It isn't. Download Feurio and use that. It aged but the guys lawyers have
adviced him not to release the new version due to changes in copyright laws
caused by record industry lobbying. It is very good and very logical. Very
.... O;-)

I'm disappointed that it isn't, but I
guess it's intended more for the user who records individual songs,
usually multitrack, and then mixes them in the program, so he has one
file per song. That's just as easy to handle in Audition as any other
CD burning program. But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

But I'm still waiting for someone to say "It does, you dummy" and then
tell me how to do it so we can try it again with someone else's
instructions.

You can use it, but you can't save the CD project as I recall things ... not
really useful except for making a rush to listen to on the living room
stereo.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

In Audition 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or the original CoolEditPro, to save
index and/or track markers you MUST tick the little box
which says "Save extra audio information" which is in the SAVE AS
dialogue pane.

I think I may have done that, giving it a different name than what we
started with, but I didn't notice the "extra audio information" part. r
maybe I did and didn't think there was any extra audio information.

That IS where the marker info is!

The only gripe I have, and it is a minor one really, is that if you
later move or delete a marker, the program does not logically
resequence the numbers. This of course makes no difference to your
burning software, it should insert a track each time it encounters a
marker, regardless of the marker's number in Audition.

Well, the problem (remember - the problem) is that Audition WAS my
burning software, and the markers (neither Index nor Track - I tried
both) caused the CD View to change from a single long track.

I never use the CD view.

Principally, I either mix separate tracks to a finished stereo pair,
or I "archive" radio broadcasts, recording direct into Audition. These
result in a single long file. It is sometimes necessary to define
"tracks" so as to allow location on a final CD, and this is done in
the "Edit" view by inserting markers.

The file with markers is then saved, with the "Extra Audio Information"
box ticked. In fact, it is my default, I never untick it. NERO will
ignore any markers unless I tell it otherwise. For some reason, NERO
treats the Audition track markers as Indexes, but will split into tracks
regardless.

Once in the NERO track assembly window, you can add CD-text etc. If you
require no pause between tracks, just set all but the first track pause
length to zero, and CD players will play across the track boundary,
incrementing the TNO. A Red Book pause of 2 seconds is mandatory for the
first track - NERO will complain if you forget and set zero length
pause for TNO#1.

For example, I routinely record BBC broadcasts of Choral Evensong.
Once a chorister, always a chorister! That results in an hour long file.
I mark the individual components of the Evensong service with track
markers, enter up details in my database track by track. The file is
saved, imported into NERO and split using the markers. Zero-length
pauses are used. Text from my database is then copied and pasted as
required into NERO. The CD is burned, usually on TY media for reliability.

Within an hour of broadcast, I can have a finished CD-R, catalogued and
housed in a jewel-box complete with printed label, inlays giving
contents details (again copied from my database) and a nice front cover.
The latter is designed by me using Paint Shop Pro, and printed on 260
gsm photo inkjet paper on a photo-quality printer. Photos of locations
are taken from my own personal collection or public sources located
using websites or Google Image search. This is entirely for my personal
archive, not for commercial purposes although I sometimes prepare copies
for musician friends who would have an interest in a location, a
specific choir, or the music content.

When "ripping", you can make Audition rip multiple tracks to a single
long file, but I've never used it to separate a marked file into
individual tracks; I don't know if any version will do this. No doubt
other posters will confirm yes or no as to this function. Failing that,
I can dig out the user handbook for 2.0. I'm not sure I still have one
for the earlier versions.

On the odd occasion I've needed to extract a segment from a long file,
I've just defined a selection area, used Copy To New, topped & tailed as
necessary and saved that segment as a separate track.

--
Peter C
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Neil Gould wrote:

In CEP 2.1 there is a marker control function available in the WAV file view
that allows you to define the marker types.

There's a choice between Track and Index marker in the version that my
friend has.

The CD burning applet uses the
open WAV file, and if you have placed track markers, there is an option to
select those markers as tracks.

That's either not present in this version or we didn't find it. Where is
that option located (menu? check box?)

The option to save the CD burning session is in the applet, not in the
general menu of CEP.

OK, we'll look for it there. I just pulled down the File menu at the top
of the page.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

OK, so your procedure is to record in Audition (or whatever) and then
use Nero. Like I say, I'm fighting pigheadedness here so another CD
burning program isn't an easy solution for this person, particularly
when she sees "CD Burning" as a function in Audition.

Seems like the consensus, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

OK, so your procedure is to record in Audition (or whatever) and then
use Nero.

Feurio, but that's just my preference.

Like I say, I'm fighting pigheadedness here so another CD
burning program isn't an easy solution for this person, particularly
when she sees "CD Burning" as a function in Audition.

Tell the person to update to 3.0 then. In 1.5 it was an option, but CD
projects wasn't. My understanding is that it has so been since 2.0, but take
somebody elses word for it or download the demo and verify.

Seems like the consensus, though.

If the person wants to stick to 1.5 yes. I haven't gotten around to
upgrading 2.0 to 3, and I'm not gonna stop using Feurio, so I never really
bothered to check what 2.0 and 3.0 can do in terms of CD projects, I just
disable that view and plain never been there since.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Gould wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it
would be a major departure from CEP to do otherwise.

My recollection is that it was removed from 1.0, coming from CE2k that never
had I never missed it.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:

I realize that the CD burning option in CEP 2.1 was considered
incomplete, but it has always worked reliably for me, so I haven't
loaded the "upgrade" to Audition on my DAW.

Does your version create tracks in its CD view (if it even has a CD
view) at the times where markers were placed in the full length file?
That's what I was expecting ot happen, and I couldn't make it happen.

In CEP 2.1 there is a marker control function available in the WAV file view
that allows you to define the marker types. The CD burning applet uses the
open WAV file, and if you have placed track markers, there is an option to
select those markers as tracks. Other marker types are not available for
creating tracks in the CD, though there are other options available for
doing so such as from time (A) to time (B), which seems like a hard way to
do it to me. It's likely that these functions and/or methods have changed in
Adobe Audition.

Has Adobe removed the option to save the CD burning
session, as CEP 2.1 allowed?

I didn't notice. I was expecting that to be included in the Save All
but Save All was grayed out so I couldn't do it anyway.

The option to save the CD burning session is in the applet, not in the
general menu of CEP. It creates a small, separate file with marker
information, so if you had more than one of them associated with a single
WAV file, you'd only have to open the burning session file to use a
different set of markers.

--
Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Gould wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it
would be a major departure from CEP to do otherwise.

My recollection is that it was removed from 1.0, coming from CE2k
that never had I never missed it.

Audition 1.x was Adobe's version of CoolEditPro 2.1, not CoolEdit
2000.

I didn't say anything to the contrary.

Anyway, the marker functions were not new to CEP 2, and they
seemed pretty integral to the core app. Since Audition 1.x was
basically a new wrapper on CEP 2.1, I don't know why that function
would have been removed.

An external license to some part of it comes to mind as a potential credible
reason.

OTOH, the CD Burning applet was an add-on that was considered an
incomplete release at the time of CEP 2.1, and as I understand it was
not included in the first versions of Audition,

Thank you for confirming, saves me powering the old box up to verify.

which is one reason
why, even though I did receive a copy I never bothered to load it on
my DAW.

Quite many users were dissatisfied with it missing.

Neil

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it would be
a major departure from CEP to do otherwise. If you can place markers (and
from your comments, it seems that you can do this), then the issue to me
would seem to be defining those markers as track markers vs. some other
type. What I don't know is how the CD burning was translated from CEP to
Audition, so I can't help you much, there.

But I'm still waiting for someone to say "It does, you dummy" and then
tell me how to do it so we can try it again with someone else's
instructions.

Look for a marker control palette. I have long ago placed that on the tool
bar, so I don't remember where it was before that.

--
Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Norbert Hahn[_2_] Norbert Hahn[_2_] is offline

"Neil Gould" wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it would be
a major departure from CEP to do otherwise.

I migrated from CEP to Audition 1.0 and later to 1.5 which I'm still
using. AA 1.0 had no CD burning function at all. It was re-introduced
with version 1.5.
Unfortunately AA 1.5 has no function to save a cue sheet or what ever
it uses internally to keep the CD layout.

As I stick to AA 1.5 I don't know if later version of Audition are
better at CD burning. I don't like to upgrade as the layout of the
windows, the operating and even worse, the storage of parameters
and preferences have changed. While all versions of CoolEdit and
Audition 1.x store all setups and preferences in a readable/editable
config file newer version stores everything in the registry of windows.

For everyday work I use Feurio to burn CDs but from time to time I
use Audition when the files aren't PCM 44.1/16. Audition converts
them silently before burning a CD.

Norbert
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it
would be a major departure from CEP to do otherwise.

My recollection is that it was removed from 1.0, coming from CE2k
that never had I never missed it.

Audition 1.x was Adobe's version of CoolEditPro 2.1, not CoolEdit 2000.
Anyway, the marker functions were not new to CEP 2, and they seemed pretty
integral to the core app. Since Audition 1.x was basically a new wrapper on
CEP 2.1, I don't know why that function would have been removed.

OTOH, the CD Burning applet was an add-on that was considered an incomplete
release at the time of CEP 2.1, and as I understand it was not included in
the first versions of Audition, which is one reason why, even though I did
receive a copy I never bothered to load it on my DAW.

Best,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom McCreadie Tom McCreadie is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

But I'm still waiting for someone to say "It does, you dummy" and then
tell me how to do it so we can try it again with someone else's
instructions.

Check out the AA 1.5 CD Burning tips from:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb4075e

I burn CD's with AA2 & AA3 (never had AA 1.5. having vaulted from CEP
2.1 and AA 1.0).

Outside of Audition, my goto method, is to playback the wav with
CDRCue while punching in the track- or index markers. This generates a
correctly structured cue file that can be handled by Cdrwin (my
choice), Nero. etc..
--
Tom McCreadie

Live at The London Palindrome - ABBA
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom McCreadie wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

But I'm still waiting for someone to say "It does, you dummy" and then
tell me how to do it so we can try it again with someone else's
instructions.

Check out the AA 1.5 CD Burning tips from:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb4075e

Thanks for the link!

Norbert

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Norbert Hahn wrote:
"Neil Gould" wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...] But I guess it may not be capable of treating a
single long file with markers as if it were separate files, even
though the documentation suggests that it can.

I'm sure that this capability was maintained in Audition 1.x, as it
would be a major departure from CEP to do otherwise.

I migrated from CEP to Audition 1.0 and later to 1.5 which I'm still
using. AA 1.0 had no CD burning function at all. It was re-introduced
with version 1.5.
Unfortunately AA 1.5 has no function to save a cue sheet or what ever
it uses internally to keep the CD layout.

I stand corrected, and surprised, as the cue sheet seemed to be core to CEP,
rather than the experimental CEP 2.1 CD burning applet.

--
Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tom McCreadie wrote:

Outside of Audition, my goto method, is to playback the wav with
CDRCue while punching in the track- or index markers. This generates a
correctly structured cue file that can be handled by Cdrwin (my
choice), Nero. etc..

I hadn't thought of CDRWin for years! How are the current versions of this
app?

--
Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

, "Neil Gould" wrote:

I hadn't thought of CDRWin for years! How are the current versions of this
app?

v4.0C from March 2006, with WinXP. still meets my needs, so I've no
experience with later VISTA-ready versions, e.g. 4.0G from March 2008.
But I expect those will retain the cdrwin traits - lean yet powerful.
--
Tom McCreadie

Live at The London Palindrome - ABBA
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Last night I was trying to help a friend make a CD using Audition. The
job got done, but it wasn't as simple as I had expected. Part of this
post is going to be my usual gripe about how nonsensical a DAW can be
when you know what you want to do and how you want to do it, but it's
also a request for help, if there's a way to do what I was hoping I
could do and we just didn't find the right button.

Try Vegas then, and see how easy and sensical using a DAW can be !

(.... althought hey don't even call Vegas a DAW anymore - more a NLE ,
albeit with gtreat DAW capabilitiy).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Nowhere Man wrote:

I never use the CD view.

Out of interest, can any other DAW app burn a DAO (or TAO) CD directly from
the main multitrack timeline with track media being any mix of audio files
and specs, and a 'project' sample rate/bit depth (anything) other than
16/44k1 ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Try Vegas then, and see how easy and sensical using a DAW can be !
(.... althought hey don't even call Vegas a DAW anymore - more a NLE ,
albeit with gtreat DAW capabilitiy).

I think she does have Vegas that she got from the station, but she's
never tried it, and in fact, other than a quick look at its original
release, neither have I. I always associated it with video and
loop-based music construction rather than audio recording, mixing, and
CD burning. But I know how these things grow up fast to try to become
everything to anybody. That's when they get too complicated for simple
tasks.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
Neil Gould wrote:

In CEP 2.1 there is a marker control function available in the WAV
file view that allows you to define the marker types.

There's a choice between Track and Index marker in the version that my
friend has.

The CD burning applet uses the
open WAV file, and if you have placed track markers, there is an
option to select those markers as tracks.

That's either not present in this version or we didn't find it. Where
is that option located (menu? check box?)

The option to save the CD burning session is in the applet, not in
the general menu of CEP.

OK, we'll look for it there. I just pulled down the File menu at the
top of the page.

Based on what others have contributed, I don't think that the features of
CEP's CD burning were translated to Audition. That would certainly drive me
to some other application for CD creation if the general recording & mixing
functions are acceptable enought that there isn't a desire to move to a
newer version of Audition.

--
Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
geoff wrote:

Try Vegas then, and see how easy and sensical using a DAW can be !
(.... althought hey don't even call Vegas a DAW anymore - more a NLE
, albeit with gtreat DAW capabilitiy).

I think she does have Vegas that she got from the station, but she's
never tried it, and in fact, other than a quick look at its original
release, neither have I. I always associated it with video and
loop-based music construction rather than audio recording, mixing, and
CD burning. But I know how these things grow up fast to try to become
everything to anybody. That's when they get too complicated for simple
tasks.

Years ago was a DAW ( though not MIDI) and possiblly the most power and
easy-to-use/understand application. Vegas at one stage split out to Video
and Audio versions, but then re-homogenised into the one.

Now is classified as a NLE for noth audio and video. Same easy to use (
conventional Win paradigm for all actions), and is my audio platform of
choice. Acid has been repositioned as the DAW app, but I find Vegas Pro
still best for my audio purposes. Plus I get the preeminent video
functionality as an 'extra'.

Try it - it's free (to try) :
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

geoff