Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] adrian_h_hudson@yahoo.com is offline

Default Sony TC-366 Mains selection.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the correct, North American, position for the
voltage selector on my Sony TC-366 tape recorder? The label that
should guide me is detached!

Appreciated

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

Can anyone advise me on the correct, North American, position for the
voltage selector on my Sony TC-366 tape recorder? The label that
should guide me is detached!

Two position? If so, try both. It won't run well on the 240 V setting. If it
has lights, the brightest setting.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 23:16:48 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

Can anyone advise me on the correct, North American, position for the
voltage selector on my Sony TC-366 tape recorder? The label that
should guide me is detached!

Two position? If so, try both. It won't run well on the 240 V setting. If it
has lights, the brightest setting.

I once made an amplifier very unhappy by plugging it inadvertently to
a dimmer-controlled circuit on stage. Is it possible that, as it
couldn't have the volts, it tried to suck the amps instead? Anyway,
it got very hot and let smoke out.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Russ_Verdon Russ_Verdon is offline

I have one here in oz. There are 6 positions on the voltage selector

With the plug inserted with the notch upward ie at 12 oclock it is 100v .
The next position to the right ie clockwise or 2o clock is 110 V. The plate
above the selector lists the range of voltages right around to 240 at 10
oclock.

Russell

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the correct, North American, position for the
voltage selector on my Sony TC-366 tape recorder? The label that
should guide me is detached!

Appreciated

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

wrote:

Can anyone advise me on the correct, North American, position for the
voltage selector on my Sony TC-366 tape recorder? The label that
should guide me is detached!

Two position? If so, try both. It won't run well on the 240 V setting. If
it
has lights, the brightest setting.

I once made an amplifier very unhappy by plugging it inadvertently to
a dimmer-controlled circuit on stage. Is it possible that, as it
couldn't have the volts, it tried to suck the amps instead? Anyway,
it got very hot and let smoke out.

Much more likely that it didn't like the chopped up "area under the curve"
waveform that the dimmer was giving it, I would have thought ...

Arfa

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:46:44 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I once made an amplifier very unhappy by plugging it inadvertently to
a dimmer-controlled circuit on stage. Is it possible that, as it
couldn't have the volts, it tried to suck the amps instead? Anyway,
it got very hot and let smoke out.

Much more likely that it didn't like the chopped up "area under the curve"
waveform that the dimmer was giving it, I would have thought ...

Could be. Funny thing was, it worked OK. No hum or noise. I didn't
know anything was wrong until I smelt the hot. Rather a coincidence
if it just picked that day to fail. Something was being stressed by
the under-voltage (or maybe the supply waveform)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Russ_Verdon wrote:
I have one here in oz. There are 6 positions on the voltage selector

With the plug inserted with the notch upward ie at 12 oclock it is 100v .
The next position to the right ie clockwise or 2o clock is 110 V. The plate
above the selector lists the range of voltages right around to 240 at 10
oclock.

Russell

Thank you Sir. You have solved my problem.

Adrian.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message

I once made an amplifier very unhappy by plugging it inadvertently to
a dimmer-controlled circuit on stage. Is it possible that, as it
couldn't have the volts, it tried to suck the amps instead?

No.

Electronics aren't a resistive load and won't work off solid state dimmers.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Russ_Verdon" rverdonATetherwaveDOTcomDOTau wrote in message

I have one here in oz. There are 6 positions on the voltage selector

With the plug inserted with the notch upward ie at 12 oclock it is 100v .
The next position to the right ie clockwise or 2o clock is 110 V. The
plate
above the selector lists the range of voltages right around to 240 at 10
oclock.

He'd need the 120 V setting in that case. Two to the right of vertical?