Posted to rec.audio.tech
CLM in ND CLM in ND is offline

Default Headphones from industrial ear protectors

Last year I built a pair of headphones from a pair of industrial ear
protectors, rated @ 30db. I use them to listen to music if the noises
of nieghbors or traffic, etc... get to be too much. I also use them
sometimes to fall asleep. They are fantastic! I wish I would have
thought of this years ago. I could have spared myself alot of
aggrevation & awkward confrontations if I had done this a long time
ago.

I bought a brand new pair of ear protectors & used a pair of JVC
lightweight headphones that came with a minidisc player. They work
great! You just have to turn down the treble a bit, or they sound too
tinny.

Cameron

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

CLM in ND wrote:

Last year I built a pair of headphones from a pair of industrial ear
protectors, rated @ 30db. I use them to listen to music if the noises
of nieghbors or traffic, etc... get to be too much. I also use them
sometimes to fall asleep. They are fantastic! I wish I would have
thought of this years ago. I could have spared myself alot of
aggrevation & awkward confrontations if I had done this a long time
ago.

I bought a brand new pair of ear protectors & used a pair of JVC
lightweight headphones that came with a minidisc player. They work
great! You just have to turn down the treble a bit, or they sound too
tinny.

Interesting idea.

Do you have any pics of what you did ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote ...
CLM in ND wrote:

Last year I built a pair of headphones from a pair of industrial ear
protectors, rated @ 30db. I use them to listen to music if the
noises
of nieghbors or traffic, etc... get to be too much. I also use them
sometimes to fall asleep. They are fantastic! I wish I would have
thought of this years ago. I could have spared myself alot of
aggrevation & awkward confrontations if I had done this a long time
ago.

I bought a brand new pair of ear protectors & used a pair of JVC
lightweight headphones that came with a minidisc player. They work
great! You just have to turn down the treble a bit, or they sound
too
tinny.

Interesting idea.

Do you have any pics of what you did ?

I've got a pair of Sony MDR-7506 that got stepped-on.
I'm going to try putting the elements into a pair of David
Clark ear protectors.

This is actually available as a commercial product....
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/produ...cat=109&page=1
but I'm too cheap to pay that price. :-)

To be fair, the commercial product reputedly does something
(electrical?, physical?) to fix the change in frequency response
resulting from the significantly different environment of those
closed-cavity ear shells. This may be the kind of thing that
"CLM" observed.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote ...
CLM in ND wrote:

[...]

The back chamber must be sealed inside, otherwise your
going to get a high shift.

Personally, I would buy one of the best headphones and have quality
http://www.rapresentin.com/urban-sto...mId/B000E9VKUQ

I don't know the dB outside rejection these give.

greg