dimset

Default Industrial Caps

I had the thought of saving some money by buying a capacitor (1 farad)
from an Industrial supply store rather than a nice looking stupid
expensive one from a store. It's going in the trunk sub-floor so I
don't care what it looks like, as long as it performs.

I would think these caps would be of higher tolerances than the car
audio caps (I haven't compared specs, I'm just assuming.), but could
this have the potential to cause more distortion? Might not be the same
plates and dialectric inside, but obviously still holds charge..

Has anyone tried this before?
Mark Zarella

A cap, being used in the manner that you're suggestion, cannot introduce
noticable distortion. Yes, you can do this. Just make sure that the
voltage limitations of the cap isn't exceeded by the car's electrical
system.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, dimset wrote:

I had the thought of saving some money by buying a capacitor (1 farad)
from an Industrial supply store rather than a nice looking stupid
expensive one from a store. It's going in the trunk sub-floor so I
don't care what it looks like, as long as it performs.

I would think these caps would be of higher tolerances than the car
audio caps (I haven't compared specs, I'm just assuming.), but could
this have the potential to cause more distortion? Might not be the same
plates and dialectric inside, but obviously still holds charge..

Has anyone tried this before?

John Laney

check the esr and compare it to a Car Audio Cap...The car audio cap will
probably have lower esr.

"dimset" wrote in message
I had the thought of saving some money by buying a capacitor (1 farad) from
an Industrial supply store rather than a nice looking stupid expensive one
from a store. It's going in the trunk sub-floor so I don't care what it
looks like, as long as it performs.

I would think these caps would be of higher tolerances than the car audio
caps (I haven't compared specs, I'm just assuming.), but could this have
the potential to cause more distortion? Might not be the same plates and
dialectric inside, but obviously still holds charge..

Has anyone tried this before?

wima tropifol m polyester film caps -- will they degrade after 40 years?? maxdm Tech 2 August 2nd 04 08:07 AM
why dose everyone hate Pyramid? charlie Car Audio 56 June 2nd 04 02:15 AM
Which caps to use? R. Foote Pro Audio 42 March 13th 04 08:05 PM
33uF MKT caps on DC line near power stages on power amp Fabio De Robertis Tech 6 September 29th 03 11:24 PM
P&G Fader caps Josh Snider Tech 0 September 1st 03 12:07 AM