Are they using real-time pitch fix?

Old December 30th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Default Are they using real-time pitch fix?

John Williamson wrote:
> On 27/12/2018 01:25, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Brassplyer* > wrote:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

>> They might just be good.* It used to be a lot of performers were that
>> good,
>> because they had to be.* On the other hand, maybe they are lipsynching in
>> concert, which is a very, very common thing today.
>> --scott
>>

> Just looking at the video, there's no mic, pickup or connection visible
> from here for that perfectly balanced acoustic guitar, so that makes sense.
>
> Though it may be that there is a bridge pickup and a hidden radio pack.

The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw a very
small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the guitar strap.
It went by very quickly and could have just been a reflection or the
guitar strap itself.

You can hide a wireless transmitter with a guitar strap.

Gad, that intro is horrible.

--
Les Cargill
Old December 30th 18, 08:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 30 Dec 2018, Les Cargill > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw
> a very small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the
> guitar strap. It went by very quickly and could have just been a
> reflection or the guitar strap itself.

There is a red cable plugged into the end pin, visible at 2:27 and
4:22. The cable wraps around behind the guy, presumably to a wireless
pack on his belt or guitar strap.

I don't hear any obvious vocal pitch correction, which doesn't mean
there isn't any, of course. If there is, it's tastefully done. The
whole thing sound very well-mixed and balanced... almost too good to be
true. I think this group has a lot of money behind it, so I suppose
they have the best, most expensive electronic and human resources
available.

Old December 30th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_]

Nil > said...news:XnsA9C89F82EF6B8nilch1
@wheedledeedle.moc:

> On 30 Dec 2018, Les Cargill > wrote in
> rec.audio.pro:
>
>> The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw
>> a very small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the
>> guitar strap. It went by very quickly and could have just been a
>> reflection or the guitar strap itself.

> There is a red cable plugged into the end pin, visible at 2:27 and
> 4:22. The cable wraps around behind the guy, presumably to a wireless
> pack on his belt or guitar strap.
>
> I don't hear any obvious vocal pitch correction, which doesn't mean
> there isn't any, of course. If there is, it's tastefully done. The
> whole thing sound very well-mixed and balanced... almost too good to be
> true. I think this group has a lot of money behind it, so I suppose
> they have the best, most expensive electronic and human resources
> available.

My vote is for "they are THAT good."

I have to wonder how many times they've performed this song since it was
first released. They've had plenty of time to get beyond any electronic
tuning if there ever was any IMHO. It did sound like they had a click
track, though.

david

---

Old January 2nd 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

david gourley wrote:
> Nil > said...news:XnsA9C89F82EF6B8nilch1
> @wheedledeedle.moc:
>
>> On 30 Dec 2018, Les Cargill > wrote in
>> rec.audio.pro:
>>
>>> The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw
>>> a very small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the
>>> guitar strap. It went by very quickly and could have just been a
>>> reflection or the guitar strap itself.

>> There is a red cable plugged into the end pin, visible at 2:27 and
>> 4:22. The cable wraps around behind the guy, presumably to a wireless
>> pack on his belt or guitar strap.
>>
>> I don't hear any obvious vocal pitch correction, which doesn't mean
>> there isn't any, of course. If there is, it's tastefully done. The
>> whole thing sound very well-mixed and balanced... almost too good to be
>> true. I think this group has a lot of money behind it, so I suppose
>> they have the best, most expensive electronic and human resources
>> available.
>>

> My vote is for "they are THAT good."
>
> I have to wonder how many times they've performed this song since it was
> first released. They've had plenty of time to get beyond any electronic
> tuning if there ever was any IMHO. It did sound like they had a click
> track, though.
>
> david
>
> ---

Probably.

Somebody would have to explain the concept behind that kik part in the
intro. It just sounds poorly played but it's that way throughout.

--
Les Cargill
Old January 9th 19, 08:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2

On 12/30/2018 9:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:

> Those harmonies aren't so perfect as to be not live. They sound
> Autotuney in that there's a bit of triangle wave to 'em but people
> sing like that now.

Ain't that the truth! I can certainly vouch for that...
My neighbor kid grew up listening to the early (bad) auto-tuned vocals.
He was so constantly exposed to the dreaded artifacts that he actually
learned to sing that way. To listen to him sing live with no
electronics....it was eerie. I keep checking his neck to see if he had
a USB port on there.

The good news was, it was fairly easy for him to just drop the
"undesirable artifact" part of his style and keep the "locked on pitch"
so he is actually a really good singer now.

Old January 9th 19, 10:08 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/01/2019 9:23 PM, Dr2 wrote:
> On 12/30/2018 9:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
>
>> Those harmonies aren't so perfect as to be not live. They sound
>> Autotuney¬* in that there's a bit of triangle wave to 'em but people
>> sing like that now.
>>

> Ain't that the truth!¬* I can certainly vouch for that...
> My neighbor kid grew up listening to the early (bad) auto-tuned vocals.
> ¬*He was so constantly exposed to the dreaded artifacts that he actually
> learned to sing that way.¬*¬* To listen to him sing live with no
> electronics....it was eerie.¬*¬* I keep checking his neck to see if he had
> a USB port on there.¬*
>
> The good news was, it was fairly easy for him to just drop the
> "undesirable artifact" part of his style and keep the "locked on pitch"
> so he is actually a really good singer now.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

The nasal effect.

Old January 11th 19, 05:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Olhsson[_2_]

A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.

My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using Out-A-Tuna than without.
Old January 12th 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Bob Olhsson wrote:
> A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.
>
> My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using Out-A-Tuna than without.

"In tune" is kind of a myth. It's possible to be a eighth tone flat and
sound better than you would right on top of the pitch. It's the
strangest thing.

Pianos might be ET but our ears are still Pythagorean.

--
Les Cargill
Old January 12th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Les Cargill" wrote in message ...

Bob Olhsson wrote:
> A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.
>
> My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using
> Out-A-Tuna than without.

"In tune" is kind of a myth. It's possible to be a eighth tone flat and
sound better than you would right on top of the pitch. It's the
strangest thing.

Pianos might be ET but our ears are still Pythagorean.

+1

Poly the piano tuner ;-)

---