Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Dead SM-48s

Story and minor rant:

I was asked to do sound for karaoke at a local VFW.
I pulled out some old SM-48s .. figured they'd be
adequate for that job.

When I checked them out they were all dead, no
sound what so ever.

[OK, I got the job done with other mic's ]

Anyway, later I pulled the top off the the 48's
and found the foam had turned to sticky goo.
Cleaned out the goo as best I could .. but still
dead.

So... I figured I could just replace the capsules.
Looked up the price and found they'd cost more
than new SM-48's!

Duh, this just doesn't seem right!

Anyway, I have a few nice SM-48 bodies,
hate to just throw them out .. any suggestions?

~~
OK, just lightly venting. End of minor rant.

--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Klay Anderson[_3_] Klay Anderson[_3_] is offline

Send them back to Shure. Theyll give you new ones for the price of repair or better.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 7:15:44 PM UTC-6, Ron C wrote:

Anyway, later I pulled the top off the the 48's
and found the foam had turned to sticky goo.
Cleaned out the goo as best I could .. but still
dead.

So... I figured I could just replace the capsules.
Looked up the price and found they'd cost more
than new SM-48's!

Welcome to the economics of the modern microphone business.

Have you checked whether there's a break in the inteqrnal wiring?

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 12/1/2018 6:35 PM, PStamler wrote:
On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 7:15:44 PM UTC-6, Ron C wrote:

Anyway, later I pulled the top off the the 48's
and found the foam had turned to sticky goo.
Cleaned out the goo as best I could .. but still
dead.

So... I figured I could just replace the capsules.
Looked up the price and found they'd cost more
than new SM-48's!

Welcome to the economics of the modern microphone business.

Have you checked whether there's a break in the inteqrnal wiring?

Peace,
Paul

Yes, I've checked .. no problems there.
Heck, the mic's are 20++ years old, so I guess
I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

I understand that electrets can become depolorized
but never thought dynamics would/could go bad just
sitting in a box. Live and learn.
--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron C wrote:

Have you checked whether there's a break in the inteqrnal wiring?

Peace,
Paul

Yes, I've checked .. no problems there.

** Hang on - you say the internal wiring is all OK ( not corroded) and the mics are both dead ? Have you checked the voice coil with a DMM ?? A reading at the XLR of about 250 ohms shows it is intact.

Heck, the mic's are 20++ years old,

** Still within the useful lifespan for Shure vocal mics that get low usage.

so I guess
I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

** I disagree and think the foam wind sock disintegration is a separate issue to the mics going silent.

I understand that electrets can become depolorized
but never thought dynamics would/could go bad just
sitting in a box. Live and learn.

** Fine copper wire, as normally used for voice coils on mic diaphragms, corrodes under damp conditions and develops opens.

However, Shure mics like the SM57 & SM58 use much thicker wire for the voice coils followed by a step up transformer which goes a long way to extending these mics lives.

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 12/2/2018 6:55 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Ron C wrote:

[...]

Damn, I hadn't thought to check for an open voice coil.
Yep, they both measure as open. Corrosion of the super
fine wire is quite the logical explanation.

Thanks.
--
==
Later...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ron C wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

** Not a lot else makes a dynamic mic go silent.

Yep, they both measure as open. Corrosion of the super
fine wire is quite the logical explanation.

** I think Klay Anderson's advice is worth taking.

" Send them back to Shure. Theyll give you new ones for the price of repair or better. "

Shure may just send you two new SM-48s.

.... Phil

Grateful Dead Engineer Owsley Stanley Dead at 76 david correia Pro Audio 19 March 23rd 11 03:33 AM
RAO is dead MINe 109 Audio Opinions 1 July 21st 06 07:52 PM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 3 May 30th 04 02:22 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM