Mara Machines

Old October 12th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Mara Machines

I've always wanted a rebuilt ATR-102 to transfer all of my reels, but
the $10K price tag is hard to swallow. Now there's an option at half the
price: The Mara Machines 2-track 1/4" is $5,000. They rebuild MCI
machines. What do you think? I thought about buying one, using it for a
year or two, and selling it. However, things I buy tend to depreciate
rapidly.

http://maramachines.com/machines/
Old October 12th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 10/12/2018 10:04 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
> I've always wanted a rebuilt ATR-102 to transfer all of my reels, but
> the $10K price tag is hard to swallow. Now there's an option at half the
> price: The Mara Machines 2-track 1/4" is $5,000. They rebuild MCI
> machines. What do you think? I thought about buying one, using it for a
> year or two, and selling it. However, things I buy tend to depreciate
> rapidly.

Mara will be at the AES show next week. Go there and check them out.
Advance registration closes after this weekend, so the Exhibits Plus
pass is still free with a promo code. AES18NOW is a good one.

http://www.aes.org/events/145/registration

I'm sure Mara will sell you a good JH-110, but that's no ATR-102.

I think this is a fad and in a couple of years, you'll have a hard time
selling it, but I could be wrong. There are lots of nutty people in this
business. Will it make you enough money so you can afford a loss or not
selling it at all? Or is this your midlife crisis Ferrari and you don't
care how much you lose as long as you're having fun? Frankly, I think
you'd have more fun and learn more with an easier-to-maintain 16- or
24-track like an Ampex MM1200, and for probably less money.

Old October 20th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>I've always wanted a rebuilt ATR-102 to transfer all of my reels, but
>the $10K price tag is hard to swallow. Now there's an option at half the
>price: The Mara Machines 2-track 1/4" is $5,000. They rebuild MCI
>machines. What do you think? I thought about buying one, using it for a
>year or two, and selling it. However, things I buy tend to depreciate
>rapidly.
>
>http://maramachines.com/machines/

I saw the folks at the AES show. What they are selling is a beautifully
rebuilt MCI JH-110 with Mara logos glued on the front. It's a nice job,
but it's still just a JH-110. Honestly, $5000 for a JH-110? I don't
care how nice it looks, it's a JH-110.

The JH-110 is a decent broadcast-grade machine, but really.
Old October 20th 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote: "The JH-110 is a decent broadcast-grade machine, but really.
--scott"

If I could run signal through a kitchen toaster
and it sounded great at the other end, why
not?
Old October 20th 18, 11:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >,
> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote: "The JH-110 is a decent broadcast-grade machine, but really.
>--scott"
>
>If I could run signal through a kitchen toaster
>and it sounded great at the other end, why
>not?

That's fine but I'm not paying $5k for a toaster even if it makes me sound
like Jascha Heifitz.
Old December 15th 18, 02:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

On 10/20/2018 3:37 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> mcp6453 > wrote:
>> I've always wanted a rebuilt ATR-102 to transfer all of my reels, but
>> the $10K price tag is hard to swallow. Now there's an option at half the
>> price: The Mara Machines 2-track 1/4" is $5,000. They rebuild MCI
>> machines. What do you think? I thought about buying one, using it for a
>> year or two, and selling it. However, things I buy tend to depreciate
>> rapidly.
>>
>> http://maramachines.com/machines/

> I saw the folks at the AES show. What they are selling is a beautifully
> rebuilt MCI JH-110 with Mara logos glued on the front. It's a nice job,
> but it's still just a JH-110. Honestly, $5000 for a JH-110? I don't
> care how nice it looks, it's a JH-110.
>
> The JH-110 is a decent broadcast-grade machine, but really.
> --scott

What machine would you suggest as an alternative? It has to be something
with excellent tape handling since a lot of these tapes are old and
brittle. And they are broadcast tapes, for the most part.
Old December 15th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>What machine would you suggest as an alternative? It has to be something
>with excellent tape handling since a lot of these tapes are old and
>brittle. And they are broadcast tapes, for the most part.

Revox B77 or PR99. Watch out for the button assembly on the front panel,
they are not repairable and if the plastic is brittle, wait for another
unit.

The Revox machines are unbelievably light on tape compared with the studio
machines. They do have a lot of fixed surface area in contact with the
tape so they have more issues with sticky tapes than an ATR-100. The
flutter is higher than on an ATR-100 but no worse than a 440. They are a
major pain to align but for playback only you don't care.

I don't know who is doing refurbs on Revoxes but they have to be out there.
Jon Hall used to do very good work. They are easy machines to work on
and everything is modular. If the heads are good and the buttons are good,
buy the machine and put a new pinch roller on it as soon as you get it.

The A77 is as good a machine, and they don't have the button issues, but
they are a good bit older and parts are harder to find.

Watch out that some of these machines were quarter track/7.5 ips, and not
only don't you want one of those but you don't want a machine that was badly
converted to high speed because there are some of those out there. If the
capstan area has been crudely drilled out, stay away.

If you're looking for a studio machine, the JH-110 is not a bad one, nor
is the Ampex 440. Both can be had for a few hundred dollars in good shape.
Ask on the Ampex Mailing List or the equivalent MCI list. But if I were
dealing with tapes in poor condition I'd go the Revox route.

Old December 15th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

On 12/15/2018 10:13 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> mcp6453 > wrote:
>> What machine would you suggest as an alternative? It has to be something
>> with excellent tape handling since a lot of these tapes are old and
>> brittle. And they are broadcast tapes, for the most part.

> Revox B77 or PR99. Watch out for the button assembly on the front panel,
> they are not repairable and if the plastic is brittle, wait for another
> unit.
>
> The Revox machines are unbelievably light on tape compared with the studio
> machines. They do have a lot of fixed surface area in contact with the
> tape so they have more issues with sticky tapes than an ATR-100. The
> flutter is higher than on an ATR-100 but no worse than a 440. They are a
> major pain to align but for playback only you don't care.
>
> I don't know who is doing refurbs on Revoxes but they have to be out there.
> Jon Hall used to do very good work. They are easy machines to work on
> and everything is modular. If the heads are good and the buttons are good,
> buy the machine and put a new pinch roller on it as soon as you get it.
>
> The A77 is as good a machine, and they don't have the button issues, but
> they are a good bit older and parts are harder to find.
>
> Watch out that some of these machines were quarter track/7.5 ips, and not
> only don't you want one of those but you don't want a machine that was badly
> converted to high speed because there are some of those out there. If the
> capstan area has been crudely drilled out, stay away.
>
> If you're looking for a studio machine, the JH-110 is not a bad one, nor
> is the Ampex 440. Both can be had for a few hundred dollars in good shape.
> Ask on the Ampex Mailing List or the equivalent MCI list. But if I were
> dealing with tapes in poor condition I'd go the Revox route.
> --scott

Fascinating. Back when I had Revoxes, I "Jonesed" for an AG440, 280B, or
J110.

If anyone finds a good PR99, I would appreciate the referral.

Sony Antiquated PCM Machines JackA Pro Audio 11 July 11th 16 02:53 AM
OT answering machines again [email protected] Pro Audio 0 December 29th 04 12:00 AM
OT answering machines again U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles Pro Audio 20 December 29th 04 12:00 AM
drum machines.. Iceman Pro Audio 2 August 15th 03 04:41 AM
low-rent 1/4" machines Robert Orban Pro Audio 13 July 16th 03 06:48 AM