Giles Patterson

Default Interconnects, help

I have just completed building some lowther folding horns for a desgin
technology A-level project, i have a Arcam cd-72t cd player and an old
armstrong valve amp, the problem is that when the armstrong was first
around turntables gave out a lot less current than cd players do now,
therefore when i plug my cd player in i get an extremely loud volume
even when the amp is almost on 0 volume, seing as the amp only gives
out 15wpc there must be some problem, is there a resistive cable or
other simular device that i can get hold of if so where!

Please help

Cossie

"Giles Patterson" wrote in message
I have just completed building some lowther folding horns for a desgin
technology A-level project, i have a Arcam cd-72t cd player and an old
armstrong valve amp, the problem is that when the armstrong was first
around turntables gave out a lot less current than cd players do now,
therefore when i plug my cd player in i get an extremely loud volume
even when the amp is almost on 0 volume, seing as the amp only gives
out 15wpc there must be some problem, is there a resistive cable or
other simular device that i can get hold of if so where!

Please help

I'm not familiar with the Armstrong amp. Is it specifically made for phono
playback with a single input directly into an internal phono preamp? If so,
you are simply using the wrong tool for the job, as aside from input level
discrepancies you would be running your cd player's output through the eq
curve meant to be applied to phono signals.

If not, I would look elsewhere, like your amp-speaker combination. Do you
have the impedance right? Try a set of off-the-shelf speakers in place of
your custom made ones and see if you have the same problem.

Bill Balmer

Harry Lavo

"Giles Patterson" wrote in message
I have just completed building some lowther folding horns for a desgin
technology A-level project, i have a Arcam cd-72t cd player and an old
armstrong valve amp, the problem is that when the armstrong was first
around turntables gave out a lot less current than cd players do now,
therefore when i plug my cd player in i get an extremely loud volume
even when the amp is almost on 0 volume, seing as the amp only gives
out 15wpc there must be some problem, is there a resistive cable or
other simular device that i can get hold of if so where!

Please help

It sounds like you may be putting the input from the cd player into the
phono input. If this is the case, don't. Plug it into an input marked Tuner
or Aux. The phone inputs are designed to take very low level signals from
phono cartridges and amplify them much more than the so-called line-level
inputs (Tuner or Aux). Let us know how you make out.

Harry

Glenn Booth

Hi,

In message xrvnb.50510$e01.126834@attbi_s02, Giles Patterson
writes
I have just completed building some lowther folding horns for a desgin
technology A-level project, i have a Arcam cd-72t cd player and an old
armstrong valve amp, the problem is that when the armstrong was first
around turntables gave out a lot less current than cd players do now,
therefore when i plug my cd player in i get an extremely loud volume
even when the amp is almost on 0 volume, seing as the amp only gives
out 15wpc there must be some problem, is there a resistive cable or
other simular device that i can get hold of if so where!

First of all, you aren't plugging the CD player into a phono (turntable)
input are you? That wouldn't be a good idea. Ensure you are Using a line
level input on the Armstrong. A phono input will have way too high a
sensitivity, and may also subject the input to unwanted RIAA
equalisation.

Also, I would suggest that you post the question to uk.rec.audio. One of
the regular and highly knowledgeable posters there was, I believe, a
designer for Armstrong, and may know if it is possible to use a simple
component change to achieve the desired attenuation on a line level
input.

Failing that, a couple of plug-in attenuators may be all you need - most
electronics and audio stores should have something to suit. I guess you
are in the UK so try Maplin. At a pinch, have a look at
www.audiophilecandy.co.uk, though I suspect they will be very expensive.

--
Regards,
Glenn Booth