Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matthias Matthias is offline

Default Siemens V72 Pre-Amp - why are they so expensive ?

Hi Pros,

just saw an auction for a Siemens V72 Pre-Amp spare parts (!) ending at
about USD 270.-

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What makes these things that expensive ?
They were built in and around 1960's (?) or even 50's.

Is there a REAL reason, why one will pay that much money even for the
spare parts ?

AFAIR, I saw a complete working unit go for about US$ 650.- a couple of
month ago.

I was offered these back in the beginning eightees at about USD 10.- per
piece. Hey THIS would have been a REAL good investment : 650% in 25 years

Matthias
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Matthias wrote:
What makes these things that expensive ?
They were built in and around 1960's (?) or even 50's.

They were cheap console modules that were very common in Europe, but
basically not seen in the US at all.

Then in the early nineties, some producers discovered that they were
cheap and sounded good, and there was a huge rush on them. They still
sound good, but they aren't cheap any more.

Is there a REAL reason, why one will pay that much money even for the
spare parts ?

Because insert famous producer's name here used it on insert album
here.

I was offered these back in the beginning eightees at about USD 10.- per
piece. Hey THIS would have been a REAL good investment : 650% in 25 years

Yes, but back in the eighties was before the whole bizarre vintage equipment
fad began. I was offered Fairchild 670s for $50 each and I didn't take
them because I figured they weren't worth the trouble. For a while they
were selling for around $25,000 in Japan although the Asian currency crisis
seems to have dropped prices to around half that now.

Right now anything that has a tube in it can be sold for big money, whether
or not it works or is useful. Look at what Bogen PA amps are selling for
on Ebay. It's shameful.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey schrieb:
They still
sound good, but they aren't cheap any more.

So I better keep it and try to see if it's still working

Is there a REAL reason, why one will pay that much money even for the
spare parts ?

Because insert famous producer's name here used it on insert album
here.

ok, I see ...

Right now anything that has a tube in it can be sold for big money, whether
or not it works or is useful. Look at what Bogen PA amps are selling for
on Ebay. It's shameful.

So I'll tell my wife : NO, I'm not going to throw this insert old audio
equipment here away ....... wasn't there an old Orange amp somewhere in
the barn ........ ?

Who was the one I sold my Vollmer tape machines to ?
With a tube mixer and 'light meters' ?
For a couple of hundred bucks ......

Matthias
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Matthias wrote:

So I'll tell my wife : NO, I'm not going to throw this insert old audio
equipment here away ....... wasn't there an old Orange amp somewhere in
the barn ........ ?

Right. Don't ever throw anything away. It's weird looking at some of the
absolute and total crap that is currently very fashionable and very valuable.

For God's sake, the TR-808 is now worth big money...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2 Aug 2006 11:35:59 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

For God's sake, the TR-808 is now worth big money...
--scott

Yeah. And I had trouble getting the shop to accept mine in p/x when I
bought my first drum box that SOUNDED vaguely like drums :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] psychodave.thomas@gmail.com is offline

A local studio has a couple of the Telefunken V72s. Not sure we're
talking the same critter here, but I've played my bass through them at
a couple of session and they sound great to me. Last time I checked
Ebay V72 pairs were going in the $2000.00 range.

DaveT

Matthias wrote:
Hi Pros,

just saw an auction for a Siemens V72 Pre-Amp spare parts (!) ending at
about USD 270.-

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What makes these things that expensive ?
They were built in and around 1960's (?) or even 50's.

Is there a REAL reason, why one will pay that much money even for the
spare parts ?

AFAIR, I saw a complete working unit go for about US$ 650.- a couple of
month ago.

I was offered these back in the beginning eightees at about USD 10.- per
piece. Hey THIS would have been a REAL good investment : 650% in 25 years

Matthias

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
A local studio has a couple of the Telefunken V72s. Not sure we're
talking the same critter here, but I've played my bass through them at
a couple of session and they sound great to me. Last time I checked
Ebay V72 pairs were going in the $2000.00 range.

Right. They sound good, and when they were ten bucks, they were well worth
picking up. But $2000? You gotta be crazy.