Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jim Landers

Default EL84(6BQ5) Canadian-made Mullard tubes made for Rogers.

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into trying a set of Rogers
EL84's. They were apparently made in Canada by Mullard years ago. Does
anybody have experience with this brand? Thanks. jrl
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Canada? Mullard?

To my knowledge, Canada made no tubes whatsoever. With all due respect
to our northern neighbors. As I understand it, Philips was the tube
maker.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison

"Doug Bannard"

Rogers actually built all of their own vacuum tubes in Toronto, Ontario
until they were bought by Philips in the 1950s. The 6BQ5s under
discussion would have been supplied by Philips and are probably marked
"Holland" on their envelopes. These should be high quality tubes in my
own experience.

** They could also * very easily * be gassy and hence useless junk.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ned Carlson

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:58:04 GMT, Jim Landers wrote:

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into trying a set of Rogers
EL84's. They were apparently made in Canada by Mullard years ago. Does
anybody have experience with this brand? Thanks. jrl

Legally, in Canada the origin of tubes at one time had to be stamped on the
outside of the box. (I've seen enough NOS Canadian stuff to know this)
Rogers, as someone else noted, has been part of Philips for a long
time, so was Mullard (bought by Philips in 1927). So there was no good
reason for Mullard to build tubes in Canada.

Tubes certainly were made in Canada, however I've never seen
*6BQ5* made in Canada. If they were made there, the word "CANADA"
should be etched in the glass, or at least stamped on the box.
If not, they may be Russian or other eastern European goods, which
Canadian vendors have often sold. If they're genuine Canadian goods,
no reason for them to hide it.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Stewart

Jim Landers wrote:

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into trying a set of Rogers
EL84's. They were apparently made in Canada by Mullard years ago. Does
anybody have experience with this brand? Thanks. jrl

For anyone interested, a very good reference is Gerald F J Tynes 'Saga of
the Vacuum Tube'. It does list several Canadian manufacturers.

Cheers, John Stewart

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Doug, et.al.

Thanks for the additional information on Canadian-made tubes. I have
learned something.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Doug Bannard

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:42:44 -0500, Doug Bannard wrote:

I have no doubt forgotten others.

Yup, what about Northern Electric?

http://www.tubeworld.com/215a.jpg
http://www.tubeworld.com/396ane.jpg

Yes, thanks for including Northern Electric. It was remiss of me to
forget them...particularly in view of the fact that I worked for them
for 23 years!

Best Regards : Doug Bannard
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Stewart

Doug Bannard wrote:

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:42:44 -0500, Doug Bannard wrote:

I have no doubt forgotten others.

Yup, what about Northern Electric?

http://www.tubeworld.com/215a.jpg
http://www.tubeworld.com/396ane.jpg

Yes, thanks for including Northern Electric. It was remiss of me to
forget them...particularly in view of the fact that I worked for them
for 23 years!

Best Regards : Doug Bannard

In my stash I have two (2) NE 416B's. They are s/n 305 & s/n 687. Both are
stamped 'Made in Canada' around the rim.

Cheers, John Stewart

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jim Landers

John Stewart wrote:
Doug Bannard wrote:

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:42:44 -0500, Doug Bannard wrote:

I have no doubt forgotten others.
Yup, what about Northern Electric?

http://www.tubeworld.com/215a.jpg
http://www.tubeworld.com/396ane.jpg

Yes, thanks for including Northern Electric. It was remiss of me to
forget them...particularly in view of the fact that I worked for them
for 23 years!

Best Regards : Doug Bannard

In my stash I have two (2) NE 416B's. They are s/n 305 & s/n 687. Both are
stamped 'Made in Canada' around the rim.

Cheers, John Stewart

This is a follow-up to my question about Rogers EL84's. I bought the
pair in question and they are very smooth and sweet. I don't know how
they would compare to Mullards or Telefunkens of the same vintage, but
IMHO they are much better than the Electro Harmonix they replaced. FWIW.
jrl
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Cowley

Jim Landers wrote:

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into trying a set of Rogers
EL84's. They were apparently made in Canada by Mullard years ago. Does
anybody have experience with this brand? Thanks. jrl

Almost certainly made by Philips Electronics Industries
at Ontario. Check out the etched codes on the glass, a
lower case 'r' is the Canadian mark, see :-

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/oheinone...vm-coding.html
http://www.triodeel.com/philipsfactorycodes.jpg
http://www.triodeel.com/images/philipstubecodes.pdf

for the layout and the other codes.

I've also seen Rogers 12AX7s made in Eindhoven or Heerlen,
where the Amperex 'Bugle Boys' were made. Philips exported
components all over the place so they could print 'Made in
xxxxxx' on them. All that was done, at most, was final
assembly and pumping. Philips were notoriously dishonest
about the true sources of their products. Many of the
'Mullard' valves in the UK before the war were imported
from Holland and marked as made in the U.K, so that
Mullard could remain members of the BVA cartel.

These should be every bit as good as Mullards or Bugle Boys
of a similar date. Very late Mullards etc were often made in
Eastern Europe or Japan.

best

Andy