Robert Morein

Default Best interconnects under $100 ?

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

Schizoid Man

Robert Morein wrote:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

What's your budget? Cardas, Audioquest, MIT and Transparent are all
fairly affordable.
w.elison

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

How about something like 6-meters of Monster Interlink 400 MkII, which costs
about $75.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Best regards,
John Elison

Margaret von B.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Canare or Apogee from the world of pro audio. There is also EXTREMELY good
and inexpensive cables made by the same - I think- Latvian company that
makes the wonderful Blue and Mouse microphones. The mics are available in
the US but I don't know about the cables. They are definitely worth chasing
down as I consider them a true audio bargain.

Cheers,

Margaret

Margaret von B.

"Margaret von B." wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Canare or Apogee from the world of pro audio. There is also EXTREMELY good
and inexpensive cables made by the same - I think- Latvian company that
makes the wonderful Blue and Mouse microphones. The mics are available in
the US but I don't know about the cables. They are definitely worth
chasing down as I consider them a true audio bargain.

Cheers,

Margaret

http://www.bluemic.com/

Ahem...as I said, the company is Blue and the Mouse is one of their
mics......

Cheers,

Margaret

severian

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

Why aren't you rolling your own? Pick up some decent connectors, and some
Beldin or Canare shielded twisted pair. I usually have the best results wrt
hum/noise by grounding the shield at the source end. Twenty feet shouldn't
be a problem, but if you're worried about hum go balanced.

Robert Morein

"severian" wrote in message
news

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced

run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

Why aren't you rolling your own? Pick up some decent connectors, and some
Beldin or Canare shielded twisted pair. I usually have the best results

wrt
hum/noise by grounding the shield at the source end. Twenty feet shouldn't
be a problem, but if you're worried about hum go balanced.

It's tempting, but in the past, I've had difficult making durable
connections to the ends. It seems that molded strain reliefs do a better
job.
Currently, I'm using Radio Shack Gold. Nothing could have convinced me that
cable makes a difference, until I heard three feet of something with a
twisted pair embedded in Kapton that sounded much different from three feet
of something else.
I wonder if there are any reasonable offerings that provide foamed teflon
dielectrics, which exhibit less nonlinear behavior than polyvinylchloride.

Sander deWaal

"Robert Morein" said:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

RG58U coax with WBT locking connectors.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Robert Morein

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" said:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

RG58U coax with WBT locking connectors.

Interesting idea.
I'm not familiar with "WBT".
They twist/solder directly onto 58 ?

Sander deWaal

"Robert Morein" said:

RG58U coax with WBT locking connectors.

Interesting idea.
I'm not familiar with "WBT".
They twist/solder directly onto 58 ?

http://www.wbtusa.com/RCAplugs.html
Both soldering and crimping plugs.

The nice part is that the plugs can be locked in place by twisting the
bush around.

RG58U is the most underrated audio cable ever.
Can even be used for digital! ;-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Robert Morein

"Robert Morein" said:

RG58U coax with WBT locking connectors.

Interesting idea.
I'm not familiar with "WBT".
They twist/solder directly onto 58 ?

http://www.wbtusa.com/RCAplugs.html
Both soldering and crimping plugs.

The nice part is that the plugs can be locked in place by twisting the
bush around.

RG58U is the most underrated audio cable ever.
Can even be used for digital! ;-)

I agree.
It does require that the mating equipment have sturdy chassis mounted RCA's.

Robert Morein

"w.elison" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced

run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

How about something like 6-meters of Monster Interlink 400 MkII, which

costs
about $75.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Best regards,
John Elison

This is actually very close to standard coaxial cable, similar to Radio
Shack products. The common feature is PEX (polyurethane expanded foam)
dielectric. I'm not putting it down, because this is what I consider
conventionally good construction. Part of my inquiry is to see if there are
alternative engineering approaches.

Robert Morein

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced

run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

What's your budget? Cardas, Audioquest, MIT and Transparent are all
fairly affordable.

It's a price/performance ratio

Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced

run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

What's your budget? Cardas, Audioquest, MIT and Transparent are all
fairly affordable.

I think part of the argument has to be, what does any particular selection
offer over Radio Shack Gold, which uses standard foamed insulation
dielectric.

George M. Middius

Robert Morein said:

I think part of the argument has to be, what does any particular selection
offer over Radio Shack Gold, which uses standard foamed insulation
dielectric.

Those are butt-ugly, they have no markings, and they're 'borg-approved. A
man of your education should have better taste.

w.elison

"John Elison" wrote in message

[...]

Well, this is not really coax. It is a shielded twisted pair with the
shield
grounded at one end, only. I'm not too familiar with Radio Shack wire,
but I've been using Monster Cable for years and it works for me.
Actually, I use M-1000i and SP-1000 for my balanced connections and
M-550i for my unbalanced connections. I've tried other wires, but
Monster seems to work well for me.

Good luck,
John Elison

Robert Morein

"w.elison" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the clarification. Worth a look.

Sander deWaal

"Robert Morein" said:

http://www.wbtusa.com/RCAplugs.html
Both soldering and crimping plugs.

The nice part is that the plugs can be locked in place by twisting the
bush around.

RG58U is the most underrated audio cable ever.
Can even be used for digital! ;-)

I agree.
It does require that the mating equipment have sturdy chassis mounted RCA's.

Not necessarily.
When the outer bush is turned loose, the plug comes off very easily.
However, a good quality RCA receptacle is recommended.

BTW RG58 sounds good (enough) to me.
I had the chance to compare my home made sets of interconnects to
various expensive RCA cables in the past, and in no way they were of
lesser quality, except visually. who cares when they're on the back of
the equipment, out of sight?

Yeah, I know, constructor's ear. ;-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
mike m

Robert Morein wrote:

Your opinions, please?
What would be the most transparent solution for a 20 foot unbalanced run?
I'm attracted to Litz/Kapton construction, but doubt I can afford it.

Don't bother me with "use out of the box" crap. Those cables don't even
shield against hum very well.

Try this web site.
http://www.wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/
looks good
Mike M

Robert Morein wrote:

Interesting idea.
I'm not familiar with "WBT".
They twist/solder directly onto 58 ?

Try reading things like audioXpress, you'll see ad for WBT in nearly
every issue.