A Hosking

Default Interconnects

Is there an 80-20 rule in interconnects (80% of the result for 20% of
the effor i.e. a bike that costs £100 might be twice the wieght of a
bike that costs £1000 but a bike that costs £200 may be only 20%-30%
heavier than one that costs £1000) , what I mean is as long as they
are they are thick and not like the the cheap crap ones that come as
standard are they likely to be much better?
---MIKE---

Unless the "cheap crap" is shorted or open, it should not sound any
different than the expensive cables. Save your money for more CDs.

---MIKE---

campdog

hee, thats good. actually, as with bikes, you have diminishing
returns. the first few levels of upgrading provide substancial
improvements but as the cash outlay continues the improvements
diminish. soon you find yourself laying out huge sums for small
improvements. this is where the true purist's find themselves
balancing their bank accounts vs. minimal benefits. just how far are
you willing to go to get the ultimate results?

so, yes, there are improvements usually (not always). you have to say
'when' sometime. another factor is what kind of system you have. some
speakers will show up a difference better than others. i made the
mistake of borrowing some very high-dollar cables from a guy to see if
i could hear a difference with my klipschorns. i hated to give them
back because i could hear a noticable difference. i had been using
monster cables i got at radio shack. if i had never tried them i never
would have known the difference. i probably should have said 'when'
before i tried them. so now i keep thinking i may have to spend
another $200.00 on super cables whenever i get too much money...(like
that would happen). again it makes me think of the bikes; if you are
at an elite level of training, the $20,000 bike might be what you would
really want. otherwise most appreciate something for well under $1000.

still and all, i was surprised how much of a difference really good
cables and connectors can make.
Ban

A Hosking wrote:
Is there an 80-20 rule in interconnects (80% of the result for 20% of
the effor i.e. a bike that costs £100 might be twice the wieght of a
bike that costs £1000 but a bike that costs £200 may be only 20%-30%
heavier than one that costs £1000) , what I mean is as long as they
are they are thick and not like the the cheap crap ones that come as
standard are they likely to be much better?

How do you know the standard interconnects are cheap crap? I found them to
do the job just as well as the bigger ones with the additional advantage
that they do not shear off the receptacles, are much more flexible and you
can even unplug them later. The rule is, that they all work the same. If you
want to impress your buddies, invest in better speakers or a subwoofer.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

"i made the mistake of borrowing some very high-dollar cables from a
guy to see if i could hear a difference with my klipschorns. i hated
to give them back because i could hear a noticable difference. i had
been using monster cables i got at radio shack. if i had never tried
them i never would have known the difference. i probably should have
said 'when' before i tried them. so now i keep thinking i may have to
spend another $200.00 on super cables whenever i get too much

Do yourself a favor, borrow them again and do a blind test to see if you
can hear a difference, put your mind to rest. This response is one the
marketers/publishers of wire want, the wire is better on the
friend's/stores's shelf then the one I have, especially if it causts
substantially more. Based on listening alone tests there is yet to be
demonstrated differences in wire of similar rcl values.
hasenpfeffer

I wouldn't put $200 cables in the "super cable" category. "Super", used in
conjunction with "cable", usually means that the cost of the cable is
superior, the performance is the same. Could it be that your old cables had
corroded or loose connections, that, when cleaned and tightly connected
again, would have had the same effect on the sound as you have heard?

"campdog" wrote in message
[...]

All I did was buy some really thick "oxgen free" Copper cabels with
Gold plated Ends for a tenner!
campdog

well, this is very interesting. it's amazing how much disinformation
is out there. because i noticed an improvement in the sound the guy i
borrowed the cables from was able to convince me that what i was using
was totally inferior. i probably do just need to chack the connections
again and make sure everything is tight and uncorroded. truth be
known, after i hooked the old cables back in they seemed to sound
better to me than they had. i should have suspected at the time i
might have had a bad connection or something like that. one thing i
noticed about those more expensive connectors was they have very
heavily plated with gold and they ofcourse are much heavier guage
cable. add the strain relief coils and all that stuff and they are
quite impressive but i dont go for the idea of spending big bucks on a
false premise.

thanks for the advice!

" hee, thats good. actually, as with bikes, you have diminishing
returns. the first few levels of upgrading provide substancial

improvements but as the cash outlay continues the improvements
diminish. soon you find yourself laying out huge sums for small
improvements. this is where the true purist's find themselves
balancing their bank accounts vs. minimal benefits. just how far are
you willing to go to get the ultimate results?"

There is a several thousand dollar prize for anyone who can demonstrate by
listening alone to hear a difference in wire. If wire can produce an
audible difference in degrees, then using the extreems should make getting
the prize a snap.

Johan Wikberg

There is a several thousand dollar prize for
anyone who can demonstrate by listening
alone to hear a difference in wire.

Where? This is interesting/hilarious, and I'd love to read more about it!

Look at the archives of this newsgroup as a starter, it has been a topic
many times and no doubt will generate some comment this time round. Some
here have done/participated in such listening tests and no difference in
ability to hear a difference in wire was found. Fyi, there is a similar
one for amps also.

There is a several thousand dollar prize for
anyone who can demonstrate by listening
alone to hear a difference in wire.

Where? This is interesting/hilarious, and I'd love to read more about it!

MylesJ

Thick cables don't mean anything. Some of the high end foil cables are
minimal. Some of the very expensive Nordost cables don't fall in the thick
category. I've built several I/C cable designs and I find that I prefer the
ones with a single 33 gauge wire for the hot pin to the various thicker
cables I have bought and made, as long as they are not too long. If I have
to go more than a few feet, then a single 24 gauge sounds better to me than
stranded cables unless you go into the Litz cables. These are small gauge
stranded cables with the individual strands insulated. If you don't have any
RF problems, some of the inexpensive skinny cables with very little metal in
the RCA connectors sound pretty good.

Myles

Ban

MylesJ wrote:
Thick cables don't mean anything. Some of the high end foil cables are
minimal. Some of the very expensive Nordost cables don't fall in the
thick category. I've built several I/C cable designs and I find that
I prefer the ones with a single 33 gauge wire for the hot pin to the
various thicker cables I have bought and made, as long as they are
not too long. If I have to go more than a few feet, then a single 24
gauge sounds better to me than stranded cables unless you go into the
Litz cables. These are small gauge stranded cables with the
individual strands insulated. If you don't have any RF problems, some
of the inexpensive skinny cables with very little metal in the RCA
connectors sound pretty good.

Myles

They sound all the same, Litz or not is not important for Audio frequencies.
They will not solve any "RF-problems" whatever that might be. 33 or 24 or
even thicker has no impact at all with normal length of 6 feet or less. Most
of the things you mention will apply to satellite dish RF-cables but are
completely irrelevant for audio frequencies.
Another matter is the interior cabling in turntables, especially to moving
coil pickups. Here a good shielding, flexibility and solderability are of
importance together with defined capacitance. The same might apply to guitar
cables, which usually are of substancial length.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy