Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Windscreens

Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58? I'm really tired of people getting too close to
the mic. Alternatively, has anyone invented a force field that will send a deadly charge to anyone whose lips try to
penetrate it?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:21:45 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58? I'm really tired of people getting too close to
the mic. Alternatively, has anyone invented a force field that will send a deadly charge to anyone whose lips try to
penetrate it?

Just tape a long sharp spike to the mic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
mcp6453 wrote:
Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58?
I'm really tired of people getting too close to the mic. Alternatively,
has anyone invented a force field that will send a deadly charge to
anyone whose lips try to penetrate it?

Always thought it odd that a mic specifically designed to be 'swallowed'
pops with the supplied windshield.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Tabasco sauce.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58?
I'm really tired of people getting too close to the mic. Alternatively,
has anyone invented a force field that will send a deadly charge to anyone
whose lips try to penetrate it?

Put two mics on the stand, one slightly further forwards than the other.
Use the back one and turn the front one off. (I've done it when one
particularly loud performer overloaded an electret mic at a noisy.
venue, it worked very well and the performer wasn't aware of what I had
done.)

An alternative is to make your own windshield from green nylon scouring
pads and the strong organic-solvent type of latex glue. Use a broom
handle or any expendable object the same size as the mic and wrap a pad
around it to form a cylinder or tube. Cut the pad to size so that, when
the two edges are glued together to form a butt joint, it is an easy fit
over the head of the mic. Hold it in place with elastic bands until the
glue has set.

Wrap another pad around the first, but projecting forward by the
thickness of one pad so as to give a hollow in the top of the cylinder.
Rotate it so the joint is on the opposite side from the previous one,
cut to size and glue. (You can also glue the top and bottom edges of
the two cylinders together, but try not to block too many of the other
pores with glue.)

Cut two circles from a third pad; a smaller one to fit into the hollow
and a larger one to fit over the top. Glue them into place, trying not
to block too many pores.

Finally trim the whole thing to a pleasant shape with scissors or mount
it on a short length of broom handle in a lathe and sculpt it with an
angle grinder.

For greater effect you could try putting a layer of cloth between the
two cylinders and across the top between the discs, but you would have
to experiment to find out how much this affected the sound quality.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58?
I'm really tired of people getting too close to the mic. Alternatively,
has anyone invented a force field that will send a deadly charge to anyone
whose lips try to penetrate it?

Put two mics on the stand, one slightly further forwards than the other.
Use the back one and turn the front one off. (I've done it when one
particularly loud performer overloaded an electret mic at a noisy.
venue, it worked very well and the performer wasn't aware of what I had
done.)

That IS a good trick.

That said, there is a company called Olsen or Olson, I forget which, which
makes excellent large windscreens for very little money. They are 75% of
a Rycote for 5% of the cost. They make some six-inch balls that fit the
Schoeps mikes, and I seem to recall they make a similar one that will fit
an SM-57. If they don't, a few minutes with a hot knife would enlarge the
hole to fit the SM-57.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/13/2014 8:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
That said, there is a company called Olsen or Olson, I forget which, which
makes excellent large windscreens for very little money. They are 75% of
a Rycote for 5% of the cost. They make some six-inch balls that fit the
Schoeps mikes, and I seem to recall they make a similar one that will fit
an SM-57. If they don't, a few minutes with a hot knife would enlarge the
hole to fit the SM-57.

I wish you could remember where you saw the six inchers. I can't find them, and that sounds like what I want if I can't
get a lethal force field.

The two-mic trick will not work for this application for a number of reasons, but it is a good trick.

A Rode Procaster is almost impossible to pop, but it's USB only, and it sounds terrible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/13/2014 8:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
On 9/13/2014 8:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
That said, there is a company called Olsen or Olson, I forget which, which
makes excellent large windscreens for very little money. They are 75% of
a Rycote for 5% of the cost. They make some six-inch balls that fit the
Schoeps mikes, and I seem to recall they make a similar one that will fit
an SM-57. If they don't, a few minutes with a hot knife would enlarge the
hole to fit the SM-57.

I wish you could remember where you saw the six inchers. I can't find them, and that sounds like what I want if I can't
get a lethal force field.

The two-mic trick will not work for this application for a number of reasons, but it is a good trick.

A Rode Procaster is almost impossible to pop, but it's USB only, and it sounds terrible.

Make that Rode Podcaster. The Procaster's not so bad, but it's quite dark.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/13/2014 8:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I wish you could remember where you saw the six inchers. I can't find them, and that sounds like what I want if I can't
get a lethal force field.

The Olsen wind screens that Scott is referring to is now WindTech
http://www.windtech.tv/WindTech_Windcreens_Home_Pa.php

I don't see any 6" diameter wind screens, but they have a "high wind"
series that's greater than 3" in diameter. One of those might work. Or
tape a sharp pencil to the mic.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12-09-2014 20:21, mcp6453 wrote:

Does anyone make a LARGE foam windscreen that can be used with an SM58?

Yes, standard MI store product. I think thomann.de has them online.

I'm really tired of people getting too close to
the mic. Alternatively, has anyone invented a force field
that will send a deadly charge to anyone whose lips try to
penetrate it?

No sane musician touches the mic with the lips.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/13/2014 9:59 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
No sane musician touches the mic with the lips.

Lack of sanity never stopped some people from making music, at least not
until they kiss a "hot" mic in a system with improper grounding and get
electrocuted.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro