Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default XLR connectors may be too large.

geoff wrote:

On 19/09/2014 10:49 p.m., Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

A couple of further advantages when working in the field:

1) If anyone is tempted to nick any of my kit, they will soon realise
they can't use it or sell it

2) If anyone is tempted to plug in anything that I haven't approved (by
providing them with an adaptor or interface box), they won't be able to
do it.

Any discerning thief wouldn't been seen dead with anything with DIN
connectors ! (I take it you mean the horrible 3 and 5 pin DIN
connectors that were common on hifi gear in the olden days ....), as

opposed to the more sophisticated DIN specified connectors.

Good security principle: Make it look as though nobody would want it.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
geoff wrote:
Any discerning thief wouldn't been seen dead with anything with DIN
connectors ! (I take it you mean the horrible 3 and 5 pin DIN
connectors that were common on hifi gear in the olden days ....), as

opposed to the more sophisticated DIN specified connectors.

Possibly the worst thing about those domestic DINs was the plastic melting
at such a low temperature. Hardly ideal for a solder connector.

The ones made by Hirschman don't show any tendency to melt, they use a
compound a bit like Bakelite but less brittle - in fact it can prove
quite difficult to melt-out and remove unwanted pins to make 'specials'.

And I
dunno what the pins were plated with, but it sure corroded easily even
indoors.

I've never had much of a problem with the pins, but I wouldn't want to
rely on the shells for any sort of long-term contact, even though they
are fitted with earthing spring leafs.

But 'Touchel' which shared the same basic pin spacing etc is a decent
enough connector. For some things.

There is very little that is as robust as an XLR; but if you need to
keep the size and price down, my experience suggests that well-made DIN
connectors are the next best thing.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Somebody mentioned that XLRs are festival-proof. They're also pretty much drunk-proof, an issue in the real world.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 20/09/2014 6:07 a.m., PStamler wrote:
Somebody mentioned that XLRs are festival-proof. They're also pretty much drunk-proof, an issue in the real world.

Peace,
Paul

.... and interface perfectly to the end of a hand-held mic.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

PStamler wrote:
Somebody mentioned that XLRs are festival-proof. They're also pretty much drunk-proof, an issue in the real world.

I am surprised that I have to point it out, but there is a very strong
connection between festivals and drunks.

sub amp connectors [email protected] Car Audio 9 July 5th 05 05:14 PM
FS: XLR Connectors Molly Burke Pro Audio 0 March 2nd 04 10:19 PM
DIN Connectors? Sean Elble Car Audio 2 October 3rd 03 11:33 PM
SINGLE Large ADVENT & New Large ADVENT Speakers Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 September 8th 03 01:19 AM
Using Y connectors Scott Johnson Car Audio 0 August 19th 03 08:49 PM