Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Neil Youn's Pono music

Les Cargill wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Jay Ts" wrote in message ...

Another reason I don't like the quote is that it assumes a lot
about things like musical instruments and sound reproduction
equipment. Maybe someone tomorrow will invent a microphone
and speaker that can accurately reproduce sound at much higher
frequencies. Who knows? I think if the industry standards don't
support using them, that would really suck. Let's not make
assumptions about the future based on things from the past.

Condenser mics and planar speakers (EM and electrostatic) can easily get
well-past 20kHz. This has been true for years.

The real point is that the standards for digital recording, processing
and distribution have the effect of setting the status quo. Once a
standard is set, everything in the future is limited by it. So rather
than set the standard to a minimum, isn't it better to have them set
higher?

Captain Obvious speaks!

Many animals have the ability to make and perceive sounds with
frequencies above 20 KHz, and if scientists want to study them,
they will need equipment that supports frequencies much higher
than humans can hear.

B&K has made ultrasonic lab microphones for decades.

To 100Khz even decades ago, but the noise figures there are not
generally suitable for recording work.

I am thinking this could be an arrangement technique for Cage's 4:33.

Maybe. I suspect specially designed preamps might be needed, built
around sortaconductors.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

Neil Young Bret L Audio Opinions 2 January 14th 10 03:15 PM
Neil Levenson Jenn High End Audio 0 May 25th 05 12:54 AM