Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default $30K Altec Speakers?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

"Collector's items" - from a time in history.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 04 Sep 2014, "Sean Conolly" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

I do like the cabinets.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sean Conolly wrote:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

People have all kinds of curated museums.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

I wonder why he bought 2 in 1946.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/09/2014 4:09 p.m., Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

I wonder why he bought 2 in 1946.

Gary Eickmeier

Had a premonition !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Sean Conolly wrote:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

The Japanese in the 1980s started getting heavily into the big Altec horn
systems, in part I think because land is expensive in Japan and having a
pair of A-7s in your living room is basically saying "I have so much money
and so big a house that I need A-7s for my living room."

Since then the fad for all things Altec and Western Electric in Japan has
gone crazy, and it has dramatically boosted prices for that gear everywhere
in the world. I needed some cheap 12" full-range Altec 600B drivers to
fix the surrounds at a local theatre, and I offered $25 each to a couple of
people who told me that was crazy and they could get $500 for them in Japan.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/09/2014 12:56 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sean Conolly wrote:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

The Japanese in the 1980s started getting heavily into the big Altec horn
systems, in part I think because land is expensive in Japan and having a
pair of A-7s in your living room is basically saying "I have so much money
and so big a house that I need A-7s for my living room."

In Japan an Altec could just about double as a living room !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 5/09/2014 5:55 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/09/2014 4:09 p.m., Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Sean Conolly" wrote in message
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4648919110.html

1946 Altec Lansing 'Big Red' speakers for the low price of $30K. I'd
probably go $300 for the cool art deco cabs, but that's it.

Just curious if these are supposed to be magical in some way.

Sean

I wonder why he bought 2 in 1946.

Had a premonition !

If they were purchased by a radio station, they may well have been in
different studio's originally.

Trevor.