Ned Carlson

Default Conn organ is humming wildly,..

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 05:41:40 +0000, spudrick wrote:

It doesn't know the words? It's old and dusty. When plugged in it just
makes a loud humming sound from the speakers but doesn't pass signal.
Working the volume pedal doesn't change how loud it hums. Nothing happens
when you press the keys. It doesn't smell bad or make excessive heat. Any
idea where to start? It has a 0A3 regulator tube that glows real bright.
I've never seen a gas tube reg before so I don't know if that's normal but
it's bright red. I haven't made any measurements yet. It has kind of a
cool looking tremolo thing and a bunch of tubes to support it. An 8 inch
box with two small speakers pointing into the inside of the box at right
angles. Has anyone see this before or know roughly how it works?
Output is two 6L6's. 4 12V6GT's, I think this is the tremolo circuit.
Usual 12AX7's for preamp stages. It also has, get this- 54, count them, 54
12AU7's, made in Great Britain for the keyboard tiers with a bunch of
weird relays. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I would pull the tubes and the amp chassis, peddle them on Ebay, and
use the remains for target practice. Hitting the cabinet on a Conn organ ought
to give you a good idea of the pattern on a 12 gauge.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL USA
www.triodeelectronics.com

Jon Yaeger

I would pull the tubes and the amp chassis, peddle them on Ebay, and
use the remains for target practice. Hitting the cabinet on a Conn organ ought
to give you a good idea of the pattern on a 12 gauge.

Seriously, what's the matter with Conn?

Ned Carlson wrote:
[...]

Come on, Ned, how do you feel, REALLY.
;-)

LOL
-Robert
"Don't forget to pull the Leslie assembly." (If it's got one.)

The cute little glass 0A3 will glow violet in normal operation. The
pwr supply filters are hosed & you may have hosed the 0A3 by now, too.
(why do people "plug it in to see it it works"?? - and THEN post for
help...)

Phil Nelson

"spudrick" wrote in message
I assumed it worked because it has a receipt for work done 3 years ago
stating it worked fine; general clean, one 12au7 replaced and a bill
for $78. Thanks for the info about the 0A3.

You can read about capacitor replacement at
http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm . The filter capacitors may have been on
their last legs when that work was done, and conked out since then. They
deteriorate just from sitting around, even if the device is not used. I
would replace them first and then worry about the 0A3 regulator tube.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Ned Carlson lives in Chicago and is a blues nazi who thinks all organs
but oil-leaking farting Hammonds suck. (Harley Biker mentality.) Your
Conn is monetarily not valuable but you need to learn good
technicianship and will sound good for its intended purposes when you
fix it. It has a real organ manual with overhanging keys as an organ
should and will provide many hours of enjoyment to a small church, old
people's home or some family with kids that can't afford a piano.

I like Hammonds too but the sun does not shine out the ass of Laurens
Hammond, Don Leslie, or especially that asshole Jimmy Smith.

I don't hate his music, I just think there is too much emphasis on his
jazz style vis-a-vis other kinds of organ music, plus he was a dick.

Sander deWaal

"Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE" said:

.... who thinks all organs
but oil-leaking farting Hammonds suck.

A Hammond (Harley, Citroen, MG, etc) doesn't leak, it just beacons its
territory.

ROTFL
This sure is sig-fodder. May I?

Be my guest, it's not my line, I heard it somewhere else.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005