receiver and center channel speaker

Old April 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
fogdog

Default receiver and center channel speaker

Can you put the center channel on top of a receiver? Is it not
recommended? The receiver and speaker are both made by onkyo and are
def not high end.
Old April 3rd 05, 02:57 AM
TCS

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:59:15 -0500, fogdog > wrote:
>Can you put the center channel on top of a receiver? Is it not
>recommended? The receiver and speaker are both made by onkyo and are
>def not high end.

It's a great idea if you want to focus dialog to seem to be coming out
of your receiver.
Old April 3rd 05, 11:22 AM
Joakim Wendel

In article
TCS > wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:59:15 -0500, fogdog > wrote:
> >Can you put the center channel on top of a receiver? Is it not
> >recommended? The receiver and speaker are both made by onkyo and are
> >def not high end.

> It's a great idea if you want to focus dialog to seem to be coming out
> of your receiver.

Your center speaker is most likely shielded but still, since most
designs for receivers include all sorts of anti-vibration measures, it's
a bad idea.

I'm sure it will not do any harm as long as the speaker IS shielded and
if You can't hear a degradation of sound there You decide!
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu
Old April 4th 05, 05:12 AM
TCS

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:22:43 +0200, Joakim Wendel > wrote:
>In article
>,
> TCS > wrote:

>> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:59:15 -0500, fogdog > wrote:
>> >Can you put the center channel on top of a receiver? Is it not
>> >recommended? The receiver and speaker are both made by onkyo and are
>> >def not high end.

>> It's a great idea if you want to focus dialog to seem to be coming out
>> of your receiver.

>Your center speaker is most likely shielded but still, since most
>designs for receivers include all sorts of anti-vibration measures, it's
>a bad idea.

>I'm sure it will not do any harm as long as the speaker IS shielded and
>if You can't hear a degradation of sound there You decide!

The center speaker should be above or below the TV. Putting it anywhere
completely defeats the point of localizing dialog.

If you can't put the center speaker @ the tv, it is better to do without
it. At least you won't hear all the dialog coming from the vicinity
of your receiver.
Old April 4th 05, 07:45 AM
Joakim Wendel

In article
TCS > wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:22:43 +0200, Joakim Wendel >
> wrote:
> >In article
> >,
> > TCS > wrote:

> >> It's a great idea if you want to focus dialog to seem to be coming out
> >> of your receiver.

> >Your center speaker is most likely shielded but still, since most
> >designs for receivers include all sorts of anti-vibration measures, it's
> >a bad idea.

> >I'm sure it will not do any harm as long as the speaker IS shielded and
> >if You can't hear a degradation of sound there You decide!

> The center speaker should be above or below the TV. Putting it anywhere
> completely defeats the point of localizing dialog.
>
> If you can't put the center speaker @ the tv, it is better to do without
> it. At least you won't hear all the dialog coming from the vicinity
> of your receiver.

There was no suggestion of a TV in the OP...(Nowadays there are plasma's
and procection and whathaveyounot)
But i would like to add that IF You decide to put Your center on the
receiver make sure that You allow for air to pass through the receiver.

Old April 4th 05, 06:50 PM
fogdog

Joakim Wendel wrote:
> In article
> >,
> TCS > wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:22:43 +0200, Joakim Wendel >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

>>>Your center speaker is most likely shielded but still, since most
>>>designs for receivers include all sorts of anti-vibration measures, it's
>>>a bad idea.

>>>I'm sure it will not do any harm as long as the speaker IS shielded and
>>>if You can't hear a degradation of sound there You decide!

>>The center speaker should be above or below the TV. Putting it anywhere
>>completely defeats the point of localizing dialog.
>>
>>If you can't put the center speaker @ the tv, it is better to do without
>>it. At least you won't hear all the dialog coming from the vicinity
>>of your receiver.

> There was no suggestion of a TV in the OP...(Nowadays there are plasma's
> and procection and whathaveyounot)
> But i would like to add that IF You decide to put Your center on the
> receiver make sure that You allow for air to pass through the receiver.

My problem is I have limited space to put all the components I have.
Check this pic out
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg270h/receiver_setup.jpg

I have a rackmount tascam dat player coming that I am going to add to
the line-up. Where do you think everything should go? My main problem
is that I am not tall enough to reach the record player so I would like
to move it down to a lower level.
Old April 4th 05, 07:31 PM
TCS

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:50:56 -0400, fogdog > wrote:
>Joakim Wendel wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> TCS > wrote:
>>

>>>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:22:43 +0200, Joakim Wendel >
>>>wrote:
>>>

>> There was no suggestion of a TV in the OP...(Nowadays there are plasma's
>> and procection and whathaveyounot)
>> But i would like to add that IF You decide to put Your center on the
>> receiver make sure that You allow for air to pass through the receiver.

>My problem is I have limited space to put all the components I have.
>Check this pic out
>http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg270h/receiver_setup.jpg

Why don't you just put the center speaker on top of the tv?
I can't really tell from the picture if it's a flatscreen, or a tube.
If it's a tube, put the speaker on top; if it's a flatscreen, leave the
speaker on top of the DVD. If there's too much vibration -- the dvd
skips -- then perhaps another shelf just for the speaker.

Old April 4th 05, 09:08 PM
fogdog

TCS wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:50:56 -0400, fogdog > wrote:
>
>>Joakim Wendel wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

>>>There was no suggestion of a TV in the OP...(Nowadays there are plasma's
>>>and procection and whathaveyounot)
>>>But i would like to add that IF You decide to put Your center on the
>>>receiver make sure that You allow for air to pass through the receiver.

>>My problem is I have limited space to put all the components I have.
>>Check this pic out
>>http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg270h/receiver_setup.jpg

> Why don't you just put the center speaker on top of the tv?
> I can't really tell from the picture if it's a flatscreen, or a tube.
> If it's a tube, put the speaker on top; if it's a flatscreen, leave the
> speaker on top of the DVD. If there's too much vibration -- the dvd
> skips -- then perhaps another shelf just for the speaker.
>

>>I have a rackmount tascam dat player coming that I am going to add to
>>the line-up. Where do you think everything should go? My main problem
>>is that I am not tall enough to reach the record player so I would like
>>to move it down to a lower level.

It is a tube however there are lots of drunkards that frequent my room
and the top of the tube tv is slanted so the center speaker would not be
very secure.
Old April 5th 05, 07:38 AM
Joakim Wendel

In article >,
fogdog > wrote:

> TCS wrote:

> >,

> >>My problem is I have limited space to put all the components I have.
> >>Check this pic out
> >>http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg270h/receiver_setup.jpg

> > Why don't you just put the center speaker on top of the tv?
> > I can't really tell from the picture if it's a flatscreen, or a tube.
> > If it's a tube, put the speaker on top; if it's a flatscreen, leave the
> > speaker on top of the DVD. If there's too much vibration -- the dvd
> > skips -- then perhaps another shelf just for the speaker.
> >

> >>I have a rackmount tascam dat player coming that I am going to add to
> >>the line-up. Where do you think everything should go? My main problem
> >>is that I am not tall enough to reach the record player so I would like
> >>to move it down to a lower level.

> It is a tube however there are lots of drunkards that frequent my room
> and the top of the tube tv is slanted so the center speaker would not be
> very secure.

There is a perfect solution for You! A little center speaker stand that
is designed for putting a center on a TV just like Yours.

See picture;
http://194.132.118.17/item_img/se/large/l095363f.jpg

It's a bad idea to put anything directly on top of a component like Your
DVD player.

Expect a bit boomy bass from Your center since it is located in a corner.

Old April 5th 05, 07:48 PM
fogdog

Joakim Wendel wrote:
> In article >,
> fogdog > wrote:
>

>>TCS wrote:

>,

>>>Why don't you just put the center speaker on top of the tv?
>>>I can't really tell from the picture if it's a flatscreen, or a tube.
>>>If it's a tube, put the speaker on top; if it's a flatscreen, leave the
>>>speaker on top of the DVD. If there's too much vibration -- the dvd
>>>skips -- then perhaps another shelf just for the speaker.

>>It is a tube however there are lots of drunkards that frequent my room
>>and the top of the tube tv is slanted so the center speaker would not be
>>very secure.

> There is a perfect solution for You! A little center speaker stand that
> is designed for putting a center on a TV just like Yours.
>
> See picture;
> http://194.132.118.17/item_img/se/large/l095363f.jpg
>
> It's a bad idea to put anything directly on top of a component like Your
> DVD player.
>
> Expect a bit boomy bass from Your center since it is located in a corner.

Where might one purchase something of this nature from?