[CM] Headphones

Old April 23rd 17, 11:09 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

Default [CM] Headphones -> Hearing aids

On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:56:44 +1200, geoff > wrote:
> On 22/04/2017 8:29 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 11:12:31 -0400, Dan Espen > wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone with hearing loss would do well to continue with annual
>>> hearing evaluations.
>>>
>>> My audiologist uses some Windows based software to access
>>> the hearing aids,

>> I'm sorry to hear that. Pity they couldn't have used a
>> less mediocre platform.

> Given that the operating system would have absolutely no bearing on the
> quality of the software, the operation of it, or the results, why ?
>

> Or must serious applications only be used by iDiots or Lidiots ?

Seeing your comment about Bose in this thread, and the
complaint about Bose phoning home, I wonder what you think about
Billyware phoning home? You know it does don't you.

That's the bearing on the quality of the OS.

HTH

--
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Old April 23rd 17, 11:48 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech

On 24/04/2017 10:09 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:56:44 +1200, geoff > wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to hear that. Pity they couldn't have used a
>>> less mediocre platform.

>> Given that the operating system would have absolutely no bearing on the
>> quality of the software, the operation of it, or the results, why ?
>>

>> Or must serious applications only be used by iDiots or Lidiots ?

> Seeing your comment about Bose in this thread, and the
> complaint about Bose phoning home, I wonder what you think about
> Billyware phoning home? You know it does don't you.
>
> That's the bearing on the quality of the OS.

]No. That's the bearing of OS-snob elitists who feel the need to attemp
tomake their own candle burn brighter by (attempting to) blowing out the
candles of others.

My reference to Bose was WRT their bull**** marketing and hype.

Old April 24th 17, 01:23 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Larry Sheldon

On 4/23/2017 04:02, geoff wrote:
> On 23/04/2017 2:28 PM, Trevor wrote:
> .
>>
>> I must have missed where ANYONE suggested otherwise?

> I got the impression that your whole angle in this topic was to
> trivialise the value of the input of the audiology profession.

Well it might have been. Years ago I spent a fortune on a hearing aid
(to try and silence family members trained to taunt me about my vanity)
that did no good from day one, and did no good a bunch of (a thousand?)
dollars later. (My reports of feeling pressure in that ear did finally
trigger some defensive medicine but I decided to separate myself and
save everybody good money by not sending it after bad.)

Years later, in another panic medicine episode I stumbled and the
cardiologist went full panic, and that eventually led to a
claustrophobes nightmare (MRI) that disclosed a tumor
(schwasomething-or-other) that had destroyed, irrevocably, the nerve in
that ear. An that destruction had almost certainly occurred when the
materials in the hearing aid were still undisturbed in some bucolic
countryside somewhere.

--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal
Old April 24th 17, 07:16 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:48:19 +1200, geoff > wrote:
> On 24/04/2017 10:09 AM, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> Given that the operating system would have absolutely no bearing on the
>>> quality of the software, the operation of it, or the results, why ?
>>>

>>> Or must serious applications only be used by iDiots or Lidiots ?

>> Seeing your comment about Bose in this thread, and the
>> complaint about Bose phoning home, I wonder what you think about
>> Billyware phoning home? You know it does don't you.
>>
>> That's the bearing on the quality of the OS.

> No. That's the bearing of OS-snob elitists who feel the need to attemp
> tomake their own candle burn brighter by (attempting to) blowing out the
> candles of others.
>
> My reference to Bose was WRT their bull**** marketing and hype.

Yet the commebt was about their software phoning home.
Something that Billyware does. Something that does nothing to
improve the the working of the product, but is part of the
bull**** marketing and hype.

--
"Microsoft's just er... it's McDonald's, and that's what saddens me."
- Steve Jobs 1995 TV interview
Old April 24th 17, 08:45 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 23/04/2017 7:05 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 22/04/2017 4:54 AM, Johnny B Good wrote:
>> frequency. Continuous exposure to high SPLs accelerates this reduction in
>> the maximum frequency limit of hearing in each individual's case. It's
>> quite important to tailor a hearing aid's frequency response and gain so
>> as to avoid needlessly doing more harm than good.

> I don't know enough about it to have an opinion other that the concept
> of boost level at various frequencies could do immense more harm.
>
> .... like if I'm 20dB down at 14kHz, boosting that 14kHz by 20dB would
> seem more likely to destroy whatever was left around there real quick !

Good luck finding a hearing aid with response to 14kHz let alone one
that allows you to boost that frequency by 20dB! Most audiograms and
most hearing aid adjustments stop at 8kHz.

Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody should
wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of their hearing
at any frequency!

I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without knowing
anything about hearing aids.

Old April 24th 17, 08:51 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 23/04/2017 7:07 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 23/04/2017 2:09 PM, Trevor wrote:
>> What a load of crap, most hearing aids don't go past 8kHz. The damage is
>> already done by loud rock bands and perhaps using MP3 players at
>> excessive levels. Still I agree for people like yourself who are
>> apparently unable to do the job properly, better leave it to a
>> professional. I guess you have an audiologist adjust you HiFi volume and
>> TV volume control as well! :-)

> If you adjust your hifi to your own hearing response, I'd hate to live
> in the same house.

I'd hate you to live in my house too!!!
Reading does not seem to be your forte.

Trevor.

Old April 24th 17, 08:58 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 24/04/2017 4:16 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:48:19 +1200, geoff > wrote:

>>> Seeing your comment about Bose in this thread, and the
>>> complaint about Bose phoning home, I wonder what you think about
>>> Billyware phoning home? You know it does don't you.
>>>
>>> That's the bearing on the quality of the OS.

>> No. That's the bearing of OS-snob elitists who feel the need to attemp
>> tomake their own candle burn brighter by (attempting to) blowing out the
>> candles of others.
>>
>> My reference to Bose was WRT their bull**** marketing and hype.

> Yet the commebt was about their software phoning home.
> Something that Billyware does. Something that does nothing to
> improve the the working of the product, but is part of the
> bull**** marketing and hype.

Fortunately many of those who actually use Windows know you can easily
stop this. Apple does far more objectionable things IMO, but neither is
in the same league as Google and Facebook, or our own governments for
that matter. :-(

Old April 24th 17, 11:40 AM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet geoff wrote:
> On 22/04/2017 1:15 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Once upon a time on usenet Trevor wrote:

>>> government pension scheme give up, throw them in the draw and never
>>> use them. I know a few like that, a complete waste of taxpayer money
>>> to subsidise audiologists pension funds. :-(

>> What's a "draw"?

> They raffle them off ?!!!

Heh, maybe. The OP seems far too busy listening to the sound of his own
typing to be bothered to check if it makes sense.

He sure *appears* to know a lot about aids. Google is great.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old April 24th 17, 01:08 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech

On 24/04/2017 7:45 PM, Trevor wrote:

> Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody should
> wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of their hearing
> at any frequency!
>
> I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without knowing
> anything about hearing aids.

And despite me making no claim to know anything about audiology , it
would still vastly surprise me that the simple remedy for a loss at a
particular band is solely to boost the **** out of that band. 14k, 8k,
3k, or whatever.

Old April 24th 17, 03:33 PM posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Julian Macassey

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:58:03 +1000, Trevor > wrote:
> On 24/04/2017 4:16 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>>
>> Yet the commebt was about their software phoning home.
>> Something that Billyware does. Something that does nothing to
>> improve the the working of the product, but is part of the
>> bull**** marketing and hype.

> Fortunately many of those who actually use Windows know you can easily
> stop this. Apple does far more objectionable things IMO, but neither is
> in the same league as Google and Facebook, or our own governments for
> that matter. :-(

Apple have much to answer for. A Windows adminisrator
recently told me that the latest version of Microsoft's OS can
not be prevented from phoning home if it has a net connection. I
assume that it could with an agressively programmed router.

As for Google and Facebook, their behaviour is an
excellent reason to avoid them - Even if you do think you have
nothing to hide. Governments have never been restrained by the
privacy laws they want other citizens and governments to follow.
`

--
"He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me
and the industry." Gary Kildall speaking of Bill Gates

Headphones? Ger High End Audio 4 June 11th 08 12:10 AM
USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
[eBay] FS: Headphones AKAI ASE 22, nice headphones vintage ... very low starting price ... 2 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meadow_61 Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 09:00 PM
Seeking Recommendations for Open Headphones and Closed Headphones Mike Audio Opinions 1 September 1st 06 01:51 AM
What are these headphones? [email protected] General 0 June 22nd 06 01:31 AM