Microphones and the TSA

Old January 22nd 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns

Default Microphones and the TSA

Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
carry-on baggage?

What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)

"Sir, we'll have to confiscate that M940. Looks dangerous." What's actually being
thought: "Kewl! That'll sound GREAT on my acoustic guitar."

Thanks,
Frank
Mobile Audio
Old January 23rd 13, 01:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

On Jan 22, 6:44*pm, Frank Stearns >
wrote:
> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
> carry-on baggage?
>
> What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
> general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
> tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)
>
> "Sir, we'll have to confiscate that M940. Looks dangerous." What's actually being
> thought: "Kewl! That'll sound GREAT on my acoustic guitar."
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
> Mobile Audio
> --
> *.

you could bring a self addressed shipping box with you, if security
hassles you, you have the option to mail it to yourself.
Mark
Old January 23rd 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Frank Stearns > wrote:

> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
> carry-on baggage?
>
> What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
> general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
> tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)

I often travel between Reno NV and Austin TX and I'm always carrying
mics and sometimes other kit, particularly the MIO.

I often have the Schoeps, some AKG C460's, maybe a couple dynamic vocal
mics. Only once have I been pulled aside so that the TSA guy could do
his thing all over my mic case. I could tell this resulted from the
baggage screener having no idea what was being shown on the screen.

> "Sir, we'll have to confiscate that M940. Looks dangerous." What's
> actually being thought: "Kewl! That'll sound GREAT on my acoustic guitar."

Heh. Acoustic guitar? What is that, anyway?? <g>

I'd never check a bag with the mics in it unless it was secured with
those TSA-approved padlocks.

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
Old January 23rd 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

"Frank Stearns" > wrote in message
> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
> carry-on baggage?
>
> What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
> general?)

"Is that a microphone in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me ?
"

======o

Old January 23rd 13, 06:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On 1/22/2013 6:44 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
> carry-on baggage?

I travel with a mini maglite that probably x-rays about the same as a
KM-84 (which I've never flown with). I remember hearing a story about a
crew of NPR engineers flying home from a gig in Central Amer9ica. They
had checked a case of microphones which the TSA thought could be
dynamite, and they had to do a lot of talking to keep them from blowing
up the whole case. It shut down the entire DFW airport for a couple of
hours.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Old January 23rd 13, 08:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:44:36 -0800, Frank Stearns wrote
(in article >):

> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
> carry-on baggage?
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

Whatever you do, don't call a boom pole "a boom pole." Call it "a microphone
stand."

In foreign countries, don't call a wireless microphone a "wireless
microphone." Call it a "lavalier microphone system."

And if you're going overseas, get a Carnet:

http://www.uscib.org/index.asp?documentID=1843

--MFW

Old January 23rd 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns > wrote:
>Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
>carry-on baggage?
>
>What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
>general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
>tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)

I have had them ask me what these things are (mostly 441s and Schoeps mikes
which are what I tend to travel with), but never had any problems.

I've had drum keys confiscated, had them spend a lot of time inspecting
hand-wired cards, had an allen wrench taken, spent three days in immigration
detention for having a suspicious passport, and generally been harassed for
having long hair and a beard. But microphones have been no problem.

I have given up even trying to travel with unprocessed film, though.

Old January 23rd 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:44:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
> Anyone routinely travel within the USA carrying microphones in their
>
> carry-on baggage?
>

> What kind of issues (weird looks?) do you get? Any hassles in
>
> general? (These would be smaller-body Neumanns and Gefells - no big
>
> tube mics with their equally large power supplies.)
>

> "Sir, we'll have to confiscate that M940. Looks dangerous." What's actually being
>
> thought: "Kewl! That'll sound GREAT on my acoustic guitar."
>

> Thanks,
>
> Frank
>
> Mobile Audio
>
> --
>
> .

I routinely travel with a pair of schoeps and some dpa lavs in my carryon and have not ever received comment.

Old January 23rd 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould

hank alrich wrote:
[...]
> I'd never check a bag with the mics in it unless it was secured with
> those TSA-approved padlocks.

You do know that the baggage handlers have the master keys to those
padlocks, right?
--
best regards,

Neil

Microphones Kat Pro Audio 25 November 24th 06 09:42 AM
Red microphones, my my my Jim Kollens Pro Audio 4 January 20th 05 06:26 AM
T.H.E. Microphones Hugh Conway Pro Audio 0 June 24th 04 07:25 PM
T.H.E. Microphones Ty Ford Pro Audio 34 June 24th 04 02:48 PM
microphones Greg M Silverman Pro Audio 5 February 29th 04 10:09 PM