Anyone have a Schematic for an Alesis QuadraSynth?

Old June 16th 19, 04:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anyone have a Schematic for an Alesis QuadraSynth?

On 16/06/2019 7:53 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 6/15/2019 5:12 AM, geoff wrote:

>>> ******** Also, the both modulation wheel, and the pitch wheel on the
>>> left, are both made of this soft rubber, and for some dumb reason,
>>> the engineers made them side-by-side, such they they rub each other!
>>>
>>> ******** So as I turn one wheel, the other wheel follows it!
>>>
>>> ******** ****-poor design.* I might have to sand down one, or both
>>> of the wheels, so they don't touch anymore.

>> Nothing a sharp blade can't fix !
>>

> *** Here's a pic:
>

> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3-13.58.35.jpg
>

> *** You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.
>
> *** Really lousy design.* Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.

Yeah that rubberised finished that turns to goop after a decade or so.
Suggest disassemble the wheels, trim of the excess that is squidging
over the edges or the hard plastic wheel, and bevel it back a bit. All
with a sharp blade of some sort.

Old June 16th 19, 05:30 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

On 6/15/2019 8:52 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 16/06/2019 7:53 AM, Paul wrote:

>>> Nothing a sharp blade can't fix !
>>>

>> **** Here's a pic:
>>

>> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3-13.58.35.jpg
>>

>> **** You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.
>>
>> **** Really lousy design.* Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.
>>

> Yeah that rubberised finished that turns to goop after a decade or so.
> Suggest disassemble the wheels, trim of the excess that is squidging
> over the edges or the hard plastic wheel, and bevel it back a bit. All
> with a sharp blade of some sort.

Yeah, it appears the rubber has expanded a bit, or perhaps the
axis of one of the wheels, has been knocked off alignment, hence
the touching and rubbing. Will probably cut some of the wheels.

Good news: 91% isopropyl alcohol has cleaned all the keys, so
they all work now! Funny thing: someone (Probably the same genius
that put only half of the header in!) put the rubber velocity
strips in backwards for about 1/3rd of the keys. One of the two
contacts is closer to the board for a reason! But kinda interesting
that most of the keys worked anyways, even with the rubber strip
in the wrong way!

Ok, next is the pitch and modulation pots. It looks like someone
spilled a drink in this part of the board, which would explain
a lot!

:/

Old June 17th 19, 06:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

On 6/15/2019 9:30 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 6/15/2019 8:52 PM, geoff wrote:

>>> **** Here's a pic:
>>>

>>> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3-13.58.35.jpg
>>>

>>> **** You can see that the pitch and modulation wheels are touching.
>>>
>>> **** Really lousy design.* Yes, I might have to take a blade to it.
>>>

>> Yeah that rubberised finished that turns to goop after a decade or so.
>> Suggest disassemble the wheels, trim of the excess that is squidging
>> over the edges or the hard plastic wheel, and bevel it back a bit. All
>> with a sharp blade of some sort.
>>

> *** Yeah, it appears the rubber has expanded a bit, or perhaps the
> axis of one of the wheels, has been knocked off alignment, hence
> the touching and rubbing. Will probably cut some of the wheels.
>
> *** Good news:* 91% isopropyl alcohol has cleaned all the keys, so
> *they all work now!* Funny thing:* someone (Probably the same genius
> that put only half of the header in!) put the rubber velocity
> strips in backwards for about 1/3rd of the keys.* One of the two
> contacts is closer to the board for a reason!* But kinda interesting
> that most of the keys worked anyways, even with the rubber strip
> in the wrong way!
>
> *** Ok, next is the pitch and modulation pots.* It looks like someone
> spilled a drink in this part of the board, which would explain
> a lot!

Ok, another issue: The Bb just before middle C is often too
loud sounding, while the B natural right next to it is too quiet
and soft sounding. This is true for most of the velocity sensitive
patches, except for the ones that are constant amplitude, like the
organ voices, in which case there is no problem.

The problem happens either with a mono output, or with
headphones.

Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note? I know
there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
can tweak individual notes?

Old June 17th 19, 11:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:

> ****** Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
> that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
> there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
> can tweak individual notes?

Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in lieu
of an unpaid debt !

Old June 17th 19, 09:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_]

On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:

> ***** But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.* I must
> say I don't really like it.* It's like you press a key, and there is yet
> another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder.* Very
> strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And listening
> to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
> a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.* Doesn't seem too useful,
> musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
> to create.
>
> ***** I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!
>
> ***** :/

Actually, having aftertouch is an indication of a more advanced synth
keyboard.

In classical electronic music the keyboard is simply a trigger. In the
earliest versions, the key only submitted a single on/off trigger, and
all sound options were controlled by synth module settings. As a result,
it was difficult to make complex sound events such as emphasis based on
how hard one strikes the key, how long it's held down, etc. It was also
quite limiting in live performances (remember all those wires folks were
plugging and unplugging?).

Later generations of keyboards provided touch sensitivity (velocity) and
aspects such as duration that were previously only available via the
Envelope Generator and as a result limited to the number of EVs in a synth.

Aftertouch is another trigger that allowed the programmer to add more
voicings to the sound event, and as a result the musician had a lot of
expressive capability in when playing live than ever before.

So, explore a little and perhaps learn a lot! ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil
Old June 17th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

On 6/17/2019 3:40 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:
>

>> ******* Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
>> that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
>> there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
>> can tweak individual notes?
>>

> Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

I have the owners manual, and I believe it mentions an overall
velocity sensitivity, but not individual note adjustments. I will
look at it again in more detail.

> FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in lieu
> of an unpaid debt !

So you got this:

https://ranum.dk/wp-content/uploads/...ks80-mpg80.jpg

Do you prefer rackmounted synths?

Old June 17th 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

On 6/17/2019 1:03 PM, Neil wrote:
> On 6/15/2019 2:30 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>> ****** But I've never had a keyboard with an after-touch strip.* I must
>> say I don't really like it.* It's like you press a key, and there is yet
>> another 2nd level that you can push the key, when you push harder.
>> Very strange, and something I'm not sure I could get used to. And
>> listening
>> to how the aftertouch affects the voices, in some cases, it either adds
>> a vibrato, or makes the note louder, or both.* Doesn't seem too useful,
>> musically, but then again, it would depend of the kind of music you want
>> to create.
>>
>> ****** I hope there is an easy way to turn the aftertouch off!
>>
>> ****** :/
>>

> Actually, having aftertouch is an indication of a more advanced synth
> keyboard.
>
> In classical electronic music the keyboard is simply a trigger. In the
> earliest versions, the key only submitted a single on/off trigger, and
> all sound options were controlled by synth module settings. As a result,
> it was difficult to make complex sound events such as emphasis based on
> how hard one strikes the key, how long it's held down, etc. It was also
> quite limiting in live performances (remember all those wires folks were
> plugging and unplugging?).
>
> Later generations of keyboards provided touch sensitivity (velocity) and
> aspects such as duration that were previously only available via the
> Envelope Generator and as a result limited to the number of EVs in a synth.
>
> Aftertouch is another trigger that allowed the programmer to add more
> voicings to the sound event, and as a result the musician had a lot of
> expressive capability in when playing live than ever before.
>
> So, explore a little and perhaps learn a lot!* ;-)

Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!

I'm getting used to the aftertouch. It's pretty good
in some patches.

But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.
Old June 18th 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/06/2019 10:42 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 6/17/2019 3:40 AM, geoff wrote:
>> On 17/06/2019 5:48 PM, Paul wrote:
>>

>>> ******* Maybe there is some way to tweak a global parameter, such
>>> that I can adjust the velocity sensitivity of each note?* I know
>>> there is an overall velocity sensitivity, but I'm not sure if I
>>> can tweak individual notes?
>>>

>> Sound like you need the Owners Manual rather rather the schematic ;- )

> **** I have the owners manual, and I believe it mentions an overall
> velocity sensitivity, but not individual note adjustments.* I will
> look at it again in more detail.
>

>> FWIW I just scored a Roland Super Jupiter MKS-80 and programmer in
>> lieu of an unpaid debt !
>>

> *** So you got this:
>
> ******* https://ranum.dk/wp-content/uploads/...ks80-mpg80.jpg
>
> *** Do you prefer rackmounted synths?

That's wot I got.

"Prefer' ? No but it was that or nothing. And I've got a KX-88 and
M-Audio something-or-other that need modules in order to make a sound !

Old June 18th 19, 06:05 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/06/2019 10:46 AM, Paul wrote:

> **** Oh, this board has been a HUGE learning experience!
>
> **** I'm getting used to the aftertouch.* It's pretty good
> in some patches.
>
> **** But again, I'd like to turn it off when need be.

From a quick scan through the manual :

" Aftertouch. The action of pressing a key down after playing it is
called “aftertouch” (it is also sometimes referred to as “Pressure”
since it corresponds to the amount of pressure being applied to the
keyboard). Pitch, tone and volume (among other things) can be changed
using aftertouch."

..... so what parameter it affects the amount of it is programmable on a
per patch basis, and is a part of that patch. There doesn't seem to be a
global 'off' for it, so you'll need to edit the patches that have it
that you don't want it on, or adapt your playing technique to avoid post
keystroke pressure.

Old June 18th 19, 06:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

On 6/15/2019 5:11 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 15/06/2019 11:53 PM, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> It's an easy mistake to make if the connector is in a tough-to-see
>>> spot, as many of them are. I've seen socketed DIP ICs installed with
>>> one row of pins all on the outside of the socket.

>>> I don't know if there's a way to globally turn off aftertouch (you
>>> could disconnect the strip, I suppose), but it's almost certainly a
>>> parameter in the patch that creates the voice. Factory presets are
>>> usually created to show off as many features of the instrument as
>>> possible. Get into the patch editor and you'll probably find how to
>>> change what it modulates, or turn it off in that patch.
>>>
>>> Or just don't press the keys so hard.**
>>>

>> ***** Yes, I have the manual.* Just haven't looked into it in
>> detail yet.* I would imagine I would have to turn the aftertouch
>> off for each patch.
>>
>> ***** Now that I've played with it a bit, it seems to be a fairly
>> useful function for voices like violins, where you sometimes want
>> heavy vibrato at the end of a note.
>>
>> ***** But I have another problem:* The pitch wheel doesn't work, or only
>> works intermittently.* Could be a bad potentiometer that needs to be
>> replaced.
>>

> Or a tarnished, fractured, or mis-connected header plug ! If
> intermittant most likely the pot. Try some Caig Faderlube.

It was two bad B10K pots, which looked like they had
beer, or some other liquid, spilled on them. They were
totally toast.

So I got two new ones, with shafts that were too long,
so I had quite a dremel tool night, after I hacksawed them
to the proper length.

But BEWARE! The flat part of the "D" shafts on potentiometers,
are NOT standardized! The flat part might be 180 degrees different
than your new pots, so look carefully!

But the pitch shift works perfectly now. And I took
60 grit sandpaper to both wheels, so I should now have space
between them.

To be continued!