Steinberg UR-RT4 Audio Interface

Old June 4th 19, 11:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_]

Default Steinberg UR-RT4 Audio Interface

Does anyone have this unit?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinbe...o-Interface.gc

And if so, can you recommend it?

Thoughts?
Old June 6th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:12:29 PM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
> Does anyone have this unit?
>
> https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinbe...o-Interface.gc
>
> And if so, can you recommend it?
>
> Thoughts?

I have both the RT2 and RT4 units. They are well made and sound very good. The 1/4" I/O connectors on the back are unbalanced but for my use this is fine. You can configure the XLR/1/4" combo jack (x2 on RT4) to accept balanced TRS line input. I use them on Mac computers which I think Steinberg has integrated nicely. Note if you are using the Steinberg dspMixFx interface software for this device it will be disabled when running Cubase. I say this because I enjoyed the Rev-x reverberation software on the device and had to download and license the VST equivalent to run native in Cubase.

Nicely done and I've heard good comments from my friends on the Rupert transformer option. You can even call Steinberg to get tech support and the manual is quite well done as well.

Gary V
Old June 6th 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 6/4/19 3:12 PM, Paul wrote:
> Does anyone have this unit?
>
> https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinbe...o-Interface.gc
>
> And if so, can you recommend it?
>
> Thoughts?

I've had my eye on this guy: https://tinyurl.com/y6bpyfrk

It seems to have all the right stuff for half the price.
I can't speak to the preamp quality compared to the Steinberg.

Tobiah
Old June 6th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 6/6/2019 3:46 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I've had my eye on this guy: PreSonus Studio 1810

> It seems to have all the right stuff for half the price.
> I can't speak to the preamp quality compared to the Steinberg.

PreSonus gear is usually a good buy for the money, but that particular
Steinberg has some Rupert Neve mojo in the front end - transformers that
can be switched in or out. That's what doubles the price over a similar
model that has transformerless preamps.

I don't know if all of the current PreSonus USB interfaces do the odd
thing that a friend discovered with his Studio 192 Mobile when he was
setting levels to copy a batch of tapes to digital. When fed with a
steady low frequency sine wave, in this case a 100 Hz alignment tone on
the tape, the meters wander up and down. There's a "zero beat" frequency
where they're stable, and they move faster as you go to either side of
that frequency. This has no effect on the audio, it just looks weird.

I put up a YouTube video of it but can't seem to find it. It was
probably classified as hate speech and taken down.

Old June 7th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12:46:36 PM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
> On 6/4/19 3:12 PM, Paul wrote:
> > Does anyone have this unit?
> >
> > https://www.guitarcenter.com/Steinbe...o-Interface.gc
> >
> > And if so, can you recommend it?
> >
> > Thoughts?

> I've had my eye on this guy: https://tinyurl.com/y6bpyfrk
>
> It seems to have all the right stuff for half the price.
> I can't speak to the preamp quality compared to the Steinberg.
>

> Tobiah

Interesting last 2 reviews on the site: one is 5 stars the other wants to throw it in the trash. I guess as Fletcher used to say: "your mileage may vary".

Gary V
Old June 7th 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

On 6/6/2019 3:46 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I've had my eye on this guy: PreSonus Studio 1810

> It seems to have all the right stuff for half the price.
> I can't speak to the preamp quality compared to the Steinberg.

PreSonus gear is usually a good buy for the money, but that particular
Steinberg has some Rupert Neve mojo in the front end - transformers that
can be switched in or out. That's what doubles the price over a similar
model that has transformerless preamps.

I don't know if all of the current PreSonus USB interfaces do the odd
thing that a friend discovered with his Studio 192 Mobile when he was
setting levels to copy a batch of tapes to digital. When fed with a
steady low frequency sine wave, in this case a 100 Hz alignment tone on
the tape, the meters wander up and down. There's a "zero beat" frequency
where they're stable, and they move faster as you go to either side of
that frequency. This has no effect on the audio, it just looks weird.

I put up a YouTube video of it but can't seem to find it. It was
probably classified as hate speech and taken down.

This it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHG9lzQYxc

Poly

---

Old June 7th 19, 12:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 6/7/2019 6:32 AM, polymod wrote:
> This it?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHG9lzQYxc

That's it. Your searching is better than mine. I'll save the link in a
bookmark file here so I can lose it again.

I asked PreSonus about it and they gave me a "there's no problem, it's
only visual" and didn't seem to be concerned about it, or even
attempting to explain it. I suspect that it's some form of aliasing with
the scan rate of the meter LEDs.