Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Dave O'Heare Dave O'Heare is offline

Default Portable DVD player for audio output?

I'm looking for a portable DVD player, specifically so that I can burn a
bunch of MP3s onto DVD and set them up to play unattended.

Does anyone make one of these that will *shuffle* or *random* play, or even
allow me to program cuts to play? Or would I simply be better off to go
with a used laptop and WinAmp or something?

Thanks

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message

I'm looking for a portable DVD player, specifically so
that I can burn a bunch of MP3s onto DVD and set them up
to play unattended.

Portable DVD player means something with a display. That almost completely
precludes it being portable in the same sense as a typical portable CD or
digital music player.

Does anyone make one of these that will *shuffle* or
*random* play, or even allow me to program cuts to play? Or would I simply
be better off to go with a used laptop
and WinAmp or something?

The generally accepted tool for the purpose is a portable digital music
player. A 4 GB model has about the same capacity as a DVD.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message
I'm looking for a portable DVD player, specifically so that I can burn a
bunch of MP3s onto DVD and set them up to play unattended.

Does it have to run off a battery?

Not necessary, no.

Dave O'H

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message

I'm looking for a portable DVD player

Portable DVD player means something with a display. That almost completely
precludes it being portable in the same sense as a typical portable CD or
digital music player.

The portable DD players I'm seeing have displays in the 7-inch-ish range,
much smaller than a laptop but bigger than a minidisc player.

The generally accepted tool for the purpose is a portable digital music
player. A 4 GB model has about the same capacity as a DVD.

I'm thinking that I can burn a bunch of themed DVDs, and pick from them for
the event -- celtic, smooth jazz, swing, whatever -- instead of having to
remember to reload the music player with appropriate stuff.

Dave O'H

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"Dave O'Heare" wrote:

I'm looking for a portable DVD player, specifically so that I can burn a
bunch of MP3s onto DVD and set them up to play unattended.

Is there a reason you don't want a flash or hard drive player?

I think Philips and Sony have DVD players that can do mp3, but I don't
have any experience with them.

Thanks, Stephen. I'm thinking that I want to create a bunch of sort of
themed DVDs, with say celtic music, or swing, or bluegrass, and just put one
of those in, instead of having to remember to reload the music player
appropriately.

Dave O'H

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Dave O'Heare Dave O'Heare is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
news

"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Dave O'Heare" wrote in message
I'm looking for a portable DVD player, specifically so that I can burn
a bunch of MP3s onto DVD and set them up to play unattended.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4090176

This page,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...VD_Player.html ,

specifies mp3 compatibility. Historically, Chinese players such as these
have actually supported a wider range of formats than Japanese players.

Thanks, Bob. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for, but it does,
however, specify that it will play "MP3 files recorded on to CD-Rs or
CD-RWs", and doesn't mention MP3s on DVD at all. I suspect that I'm going
to have to gather my courage in both hands and brave the big box store armed
with a DVD full of MP3s and see what happens.

What I'm trying to do is stick some sort of low-priced media into a
moderately-priced player, press Random or Shuffle Play or something, and
walk away for a few hours.

Have I ever mentioned how much it irks me to look for a specific feature on
a gadget, and have the manufacturers' specs dance all around what I want to
know. Does it do A with B? "Our gadget does A, and has compatibility with
B." Sheesh!

Not griping at you, Bob, just whining in general. Complain, complain,
complain, oh my life is so hard, etc., etc., etc.. :-)

Dave O'H

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Dave O'Heare Dave O'Heare is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote...

Okay I found one, the Sony MPD-AP20U, and have seen a manual that
confirms its ability to play mp3s from dvd.

Stephen, thank you very much. Dare I ask HOW you found this? I searched
for various combinations of DVD, MP3, player, portable, etc., and never came
up with anything close.

Dave O'H

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

On Mar 23, 7:38 am, "Dave O'Heare" wrote:
"MiNe 109" wrote...

Okay I found one, the Sony MPD-AP20U, and have seen a manual that
confirms its ability to play mp3s from dvd.

Stephen, thank you very much. Dare I ask HOW you found this? I searched
for various combinations of DVD, MP3, player, portable, etc., and never came
up with anything close.

Dave O'H

Dave,

why not to buy 80G iPod?

You will have all your music in mp3, no mess with DVD's (they can be
scratched, you know), much more compact then DVD player, longer
battery life, etc. etc.

So, why this obsession with DVD format? It is an obsolete format
anyway. Downloads and huge flush/HD memories is the way of the future.

just my $0.02

vlad