John Cafarella

Default m49 distortion

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote in message
x-no archive: yes

John Cafarella wrote:

but that's ok, we're used to mentally translating the crap we see on
TV from your quaint country:-).

So we export you a life. What's the bitch? g

--
ha

John Cafarella

John Cafarella wrote:

but that's ok, we're used to mentally translating the crap we see on
TV from your quaint country:-).

So we export you a life. What's the bitch? g

--
ha

I guess I asked for that, after all we DID give y'all the worst crap we
could think of....The Crocodile Hunter.......

BTW, sorry about the previous dupe post, I hit send accidentally.

Dean Dydekl

Signal chain Neumann m49 - RNP - DAW input.

Towards the end of a vocal session last weekend I started noticing a little
distortion on peaks.
Nothing had changed from previous takes, the singer was at the same distance
off the mic, same gain setting on the RNP, still hitting the DAW at around
the same peak levels (aroung -6,-8 dBfs)

The only thing I can think of that varied over time was that the temperature
had dropped, as I had the heating turned off whilst actually recording. It
got a little chilly in the room, about 16 deg C, any chance that
condensation may have had anything to do with this?

Any clues?

I would check the PSU and voltage to your M49, I frequently check the
PSU and voltage to my M269,...my N52t recently crapped out probably
due to the fact that last session I used it the studio was overly warm
and probably heated up the components, fortunately I found out before
anything else went bad affecting the AC701. On the AC701 should be
date code, discovered that from the Neumann pinboard and might give
you an idea how old the tube is and even if its the original. The 4v
and 120v to the tube is critical I've been told and should always be
checked every 6 months to a year. I dont think distorted peaks would
be caused temp change, if it were condensation it would be apparent at
all levels, but I would also check cables through signal path, but I
suspect the PSU or a weak tube.
Hope that helps,
-Dean
tony espinoza

you actually don't have to leave the mic on to dry it out... just find
a warm place to store it. if you have a closet with your amplifiers
that stays warm and dry, that could be a good place to store the mics.

-tE

SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS

415.503.1110 vox
--------------------------
www.sfsoundworks.com

"John Cafarella" wrote in message ...
"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message

Towards the end of a vocal session last weekend I started noticing a

little
distortion on peaks.

snip
Any clues?
--
John Cafarella

Probably condensation.

It doesn't take much to make these old mics crap out if the diaphragm

isn't
absolutely clean.

The tube or other component parts could be going south also.(Perhaps in

Ozyou
say going north?)

Richard H. Kuschel

Hmmm, interesting point, that particular saying just doesn't really get used
here. but that's ok, we're used to mentally translating the crap we see on
TV from your quaint country:-).

Thanks for the info, I was hoping that it was condensation related. This
mic often does suffer from crackling and popping if it's not warmed up for a
good long time, but I'd never heard peak distortion out of it before.
Usually I leave it on overnight, but due to too much red wine, this time it
only got a couple of hours.

The last time it was serviced the local Neumann dealer recommended a new
tube, but that hasn't happened as yet. I wouldn't expect a tube to "go
south :-)" during the course of a session though.

John Cafarella

"Dean Dydekl" wrote in message I would check the
PSU and voltage to your M49, I frequently check the
PSU and voltage to my M269,...my N52t recently crapped out probably
due to the fact that last session I used it the studio was overly warm
and probably heated up the components, fortunately I found out before
anything else went bad affecting the AC701. On the AC701 should be
date code, discovered that from the Neumann pinboard and might give
you an idea how old the tube is and even if its the original. The 4v
and 120v to the tube is critical I've been told and should always be
checked every 6 months to a year. I dont think distorted peaks would
be caused temp change, if it were condensation it would be apparent at
all levels, but I would also check cables through signal path, but I
suspect the PSU or a weak tube.
Hope that helps,
-Dean

Thanks Dean, will check this before the next session.
--
John Cafarella
End Of the Road Studio

John Cafarella

"tony espinoza" wrote in message
om...
you actually don't have to leave the mic on to dry it out... just find
a warm place to store it. if you have a closet with your amplifiers
that stays warm and dry, that could be a good place to store the mics.

Yeah, but it also serves the purpose of stabilising everything too. And its
convenient. Don;t get me wrong, its not stored in an icebox or anything,
just in a domestic situation with the normal winter temp variations of 8 -
20 deg C.
--
John Cafarella
End Of the Road Studio

Digital high frequency distortion maxdm High End Audio 80 July 28th 04 07:25 AM
Distortion with Crystal components?? Wild Weasel Car Audio 1 June 17th 04 08:53 PM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
Pioneer Clipping and Distortion was:DEH-P840MP, infinity kappa 693.5i and kappa 50.5cs component. Soundfreak03 Car Audio 0 August 29th 03 04:05 AM
About power amp distortion. Gaetan Mailloux High End Audio 2 August 11th 03 06:56 AM