Help! JL Audio AMP cutting out.

Old September 30th 04, 12:43 AM
Paul

Default Help! JL Audio AMP cutting out.

Hi,
I have a JL audio 400/4 and a 500/1 amp with 4 jl speakers hooked
into the 400/4 and
my sub in the 500/1. Kenwood head unit and kenwood changer. I have had
this system in my car for a year and it has worked flawlessly. I can
crank it as loud as I want with no thermal shut offs or anything.

Recently however my 400/4 amp has been shutting off and on randomly
with higher volumes making it worse. I have observed the following
with the components playing:

1) Green power light goes off on 400/4
2) No thermal or OHM lights go on.
3) 500/1 amp Does not shut off but stays on. 400/4 is the only one
that powers off and on.
4) When music does come back it sounds very distorted sometimes.
5) Even though lower volumes seem to help it, it still cuts off with
the volume very low.
6) Why is it suddenly doing this after 1 year of great listening.

Any suggestions please. Thanks,
Paul
Old September 30th 04, 03:43 AM
Sm704

Could there be a damaged power cable or bad ground? If not, then it
sounds like the amp is on its way out...

Old September 30th 04, 02:00 PM
Paul

"Sm704" > wrote in message roups.com>...
> Could there be a damaged power cable or bad ground? If not, then it
> sounds like the amp is on its way out...

Already? The Amp is only 1 year old. I heard JL was supposed to be
very good.
Guess not. What should I do next? What else is there to check? Will JL
replace it? The power cables look fine.
Paul
Old September 30th 04, 02:01 PM
Chad Wahls

"Paul" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I have a JL audio 400/4 and a 500/1 amp with 4 jl speakers hooked
> into the 400/4 and
> my sub in the 500/1. Kenwood head unit and kenwood changer. I have had
> this system in my car for a year and it has worked flawlessly. I can
> crank it as loud as I want with no thermal shut offs or anything.
>
> Recently however my 400/4 amp has been shutting off and on randomly
> with higher volumes making it worse. I have observed the following
> with the components playing:
>
> 1) Green power light goes off on 400/4
> 2) No thermal or OHM lights go on.
> 3) 500/1 amp Does not shut off but stays on. 400/4 is the only one
> that powers off and on.
> 4) When music does come back it sounds very distorted sometimes.
> 5) Even though lower volumes seem to help it, it still cuts off with
> the volume very low.
> 6) Why is it suddenly doing this after 1 year of great listening.
>
> Any suggestions please. Thanks,
> Paul

(6) Sounds like a cold solder joint, if all the channels distort you could
be losing one leg of the low or high power supply causing one half of the
waveform to diaasppear. If one channel distorts you could have an
intermittent connection on a driver transistor just before the final section
doing the same thing to just one channel.

Chad