Ken Bouchard

Default Grado cartridges

Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Grado cartridges? I'm
considering their DJ-100 because it has five various sized styli that will
fit it and these cost less than the Stanton ones.

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message
Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Grado cartridges? I'm
considering their DJ-100 because it has five various sized styli that

will
fit it and these cost less than the Stanton ones.

While I have no personal experience with them apart from hearing a few
things played back on them (which sounded plenty fine to me) A cousin of
mine, who is a pretty level-headed audiophile (IOW, he doesn't spend $450
for an A/C power cable, thinking it will improve his sound) has raved about
them. I don't know which model he's got, though, but I'm pretty sure he's
used at least a couple of theirs over the years and really seems to like
them. FWIW, YMV, ETC.
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

William Sommerwerck

In my experience, they have been smooth, clean, and very listenable.

William Sommerwerck

In my experience, they have been smooth, clean, and very listenable.
William Sommerwerck

In my experience, they have been smooth, clean, and very listenable.
William Sommerwerck

In my experience, they have been smooth, clean, and very listenable.
Scott Dorsey

Ken Bouchard wrote:
Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Grado cartridges? I'm
considering their DJ-100 because it has five various sized styli that will
fit it and these cost less than the Stanton ones.

They require radically different arm configurations, but the DJ-100 is
more apt to track properly on a heavy arm than most of the other Grados.
They have a very lush lower midrange.

They actually have separation and top end, unlike the Stanton stuff.

1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

Are you talking about working with 78s? Who has 78 styli for the Grados,
other than the normal 2.7 mil one?

The Stanton 681 really is a better choice for 78s, because the lack of top
end detail and separation are a non-issue, and the extreme ruggedness of the
681 is a big deal.

William Sommerwerck

I just remembered something "bad."

They tend to have low damping. This can cause problems in some arms --
especially high-mass designs -- with wobbling and other LF effects.

William Sommerwerck

I just remembered something "bad."

They tend to have low damping. This can cause problems in some arms --
especially high-mass designs -- with wobbling and other LF effects.

William Sommerwerck

I just remembered something "bad."

They tend to have low damping. This can cause problems in some arms --
especially high-mass designs -- with wobbling and other LF effects.

William Sommerwerck

I just remembered something "bad."

They tend to have low damping. This can cause problems in some arms --
especially high-mass designs -- with wobbling and other LF effects.

Arny Krueger

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I just remembered something "bad."

They tend to have low damping. This can cause problems in some arms --
especially high-mass designs -- with wobbling and other LF effects.

Agreed, they are not as well-damped as Shures.

People also sometimes complain about hum pickup from turntables with
poorly-shielded motors.

dansteel

"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message ...
Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Grado cartridges? I'm
considering their DJ-100 because it has five various sized styli that will
fit it and these cost less than the Stanton ones.

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

I'd agree with Mr. Kruegers comments, and would add that over the
decades Ortofon has marketed solid, budget range cartridges like the
old FF15E Mk II which sold for $40 and (if remember the designation
right) the VMS models which went bewteen $65-120. The competitiveness
of these, and the good customer response, was repeated in fairly
regular fashion as the models changed over time. Maybe someone here
has some experience with Ortofon's current afforable products and can
offer input.

TonyP

I have used Grado's over several years (from the Sig 8). Right now,
using the Platinum wood body. They sound very good. I know that with
direct drive tables, they 'might' hum, but that had to do with the
shielding of the tt motor. Medium mass arms are good for them.

Ken Bouchard wrote:
Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Grado cartridges? I'm
considering their DJ-100 because it has five various sized styli that will
fit it and these cost less than the Stanton ones.

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

Paul Stamler

I've used Grados a lot, and the more expensive ones, particularly, sound
very nice. They have a slightly warm coloration which tends to offset the
too-bright coloration of far too many records, especially from the later LP
eras.

Down sides: There can be a tendency to wobble on warped records,
particularly "dish" warps, which have a higher frequency. This gets worse as
the cartridge gets older, and can be alleviated by replacing the stylus. The
ideal arm for a Grado is a medium mass one which isn't super-low-friction; a
tiny bit of frictional damping isn't a bad thing in a Grado's case.

Also, as mentioned, they do pick up hum from synchronous motors, such as
those found in the AR turntables and some Linns. They have no problems with
direct-drive tables, in my experience.

Up sides: They are quite uncritical about capacitative loading.

And they can be *very* nice for playing 78s, again as long as the 78 isn't
warped. Keep a Stanton 500 around for those discs.

The "DJ" Grado is, I think, a version of the least expensive one. You'd
probably get better results from one of the more expensive units; they're
still pretty reasonable for the first few steps. And the "selection of 5
styli" -- are you sure that's not just a 5-pack of the same stylus? That
would seem like a reasonable package for DJing.

Peace,
Paul

Thomas A

(dansteel) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I'm using the Shure V15VxMR myself but the Ortofon OM40 is a high
class cartridge. The OM20 cart + OM40 replacement stylus can be bought
today. The OM40 is the recommended choice after tests made by Swedish
Audio-Technical Society. I've been using the FF15 MkII, VMS30, OM30 in
the past, and been happy with these.

Grado cartridges Ken Bouchard General 28 May 2nd 04 09:01 PM
Grado cartridges Ken Bouchard Audio Opinions 31 May 2nd 04 09:01 PM
Grado cartridges Marc Phillips Audio Opinions 0 May 1st 04 11:36 PM
Grado cartridges Marc Phillips Audio Opinions 0 May 1st 04 06:14 PM
Grado cartridges S888Wheel Audio Opinions 1 May 1st 04 03:01 AM