J-golf

Default Cool Edit Pro : recovery of temp file

Hi,

I was working with Cool Edit Pro 2.1 on a 33 min recording. The
program crashed several times, usually when I used "get noise level"
to reduce the noice or to eliminate the hiss. Until now CEP recovered
each time from the temp file except this last time.
I saved before a copy of the temp files and the recover00.dat file to
be able to restart from these files if a serious crash would happen.
The recording is very important to me, but because of wrong settings
the quality of the saved wave file is not acceptable.

Can someone tell me how I can make cool edit pro to recover from the
temp file?

Thanks a lot.

J-Golf
Brendan Thompson

For the "Get noise level" feature, you're supposed to select a part of the
file thats ONLY noise. Maybe a second or so. I assume you've been selecting
the whole 33 minutes?

Do you have the original source audio? I suggest you redo the whole job, the
RIGHT way.

"J-golf" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I was working with Cool Edit Pro 2.1 on a 33 min recording. The
program crashed several times, usually when I used "get noise level"
to reduce the noice or to eliminate the hiss. Until now CEP recovered
each time from the temp file except this last time.
I saved before a copy of the temp files and the recover00.dat file to
be able to restart from these files if a serious crash would happen.
The recording is very important to me, but because of wrong settings
the quality of the saved wave file is not acceptable.

Can someone tell me how I can make cool edit pro to recover from the
temp file?

Thanks a lot.

J-Golf

Norbert Hahn

"Brendan Thompson" wrote:

For the "Get noise level" feature, you're supposed to select a part of the
file thats ONLY noise. Maybe a second or so.

That's what is should be. Unfortunately CPE crashes when the amount of noise
selected is less than 4 seconds at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. More than 5 s
isn't good either. BTW, you may select as well a noise-free part of the
recording and use the option keep only noise.

Norbert

Steve King

"Norbert Hahn" wrote in message
news
"Brendan Thompson" wrote:

For the "Get noise level" feature, you're supposed to select a part of

the
file thats ONLY noise. Maybe a second or so.

That's what is should be. Unfortunately CPE crashes when the amount of

noise
selected is less than 4 seconds at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. More than 5 s
isn't good either.

SNIP

Are you saying that on your system and installation CEP crashes, when
anything other than 4 secs and 5secs is selected as a noise profile
region? That is not the case here.

Steve King

Norbert Hahn

"Brendan Thompson" wrote:

For the "Get noise level" feature, you're supposed to select a part of

the
file thats ONLY noise. Maybe a second or so.

That's what is should be. Unfortunately CPE crashes when the amount of

noise
selected is less than 4 seconds at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. More than 5 s
isn't good either.

SNIP

Are you saying that on your system and installation CEP crashes, when
anything other than 4 secs and 5secs is selected as a noise profile
region? That is not the case here.

Sorry that I was imprecise. My CEP 2.1 crashes (neither system nor installation)
when I select less than 4 seconds in HISS Reduction as noise sample. I've never
selected more than 5 seconds because I never had a need to do so.

CEP can always be restarted and I get always the last version of my file
reconstructed.

NOISE reduction is quite a different thing: I never had any problems with CEP
2.1 there.

This is what I experienced using Windows XP. I changed both CEP 1.2a to CEP 2.1
and Windows 98SE to Windows XP at the same time, same hardware though.

I hope this clarifies my previous text...

Norbert

Steve King

"Brendan Thompson" wrote:

[...]

Well, that must be irritating. I can't duplicate the problem with my
installation. Have you contacted Adobe? Did I hear that the old
Syntrillium crew are still affiliated?

Steve King

Bob Cain

Steve King wrote:

Well, that must be irritating. I can't duplicate the problem with my
installation. Have you contacted Adobe? Did I hear that the old
Syntrillium crew are still affiliated?

Yes, they are. The O.P. might want to try Adobe's user
newsgroup. The server is adobeforums.com and the group is
adobe.audition.windows.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Steven Myers

Norbert Hahn wrote:

"Brendan Thompson" wrote:

For the "Get noise level" feature, you're supposed to select a part of
the file thats ONLY noise. Maybe a second or so.

That's what is should be. Unfortunately CPE crashes when the amount of
noise selected is less than 4 seconds at 44.1 kHz sampling rate. More
than 5 s isn't good either. BTW, you may select as well a noise-free
part of the recording and use the option keep only noise.

If this were my situation, I would:
1. Report it to Adobe and plead for help.
2. Almost simultaneously, I would open a new file and copy the noise
sample to it. While in the new file window, copy the whole sample and
paste it after the first one. Check for pops or clicks where the samples
have been joined, and eliminate them if they exist.
Then I'd have a sample that was long enough to fill the window. Then I'd
get my noise profile(s) and solve the noise problem.
Arny Krueger

reply) wrote in message news:jB3Cb.22542$8y1.104487@attbi_s52

"Norbert Hahn" wrote in message

Sorry that I was imprecise. My CEP 2.1 crashes (neither system nor
installation) when I select less than 4 seconds in HISS Reduction as
noise sample. I've never selected more than 5 seconds because I
never had a need to do so.

This is what I experienced using Windows XP. I changed both CEP 1.2a
to CEP 2.1 and Windows 98SE to Windows XP at the same time, same
hardware though.

I hope this clarifies my previous text...

Well, that must be irritating. I can't duplicate the problem with my
installation.

Nor can I. Deinstallation and reinstallation might cure it.

ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ? IS Pro Audio 34 December 27th 04 07:05 PM
AUDIO FILE EDIT: HELP PLS! DL General 2 February 22nd 04 12:05 AM
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 doesn't see all of my inputs Lump Pro Audio 0 November 24th 03 09:32 PM
Alternative to Cool Edit 2000 Blaktop Pro Audio 12 September 3rd 03 08:16 PM
Adobe Audition - Cool Edit Pro / Cool Edit 2000 Randy Given Audio Opinions 1 July 17th 03 04:14 PM