Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Tim Tim is offline

Default SACD & DVD-Audio - Dead?

Now that it looks like Bluray has won the next generation video format
war. I was now wondering about the format war no one cared about
DVD-Audio and SACD. Are both these formats near death? Is there any
new content or hardware for these formats? It would appear that the
mp3 has been chosen as the next generation audio format.

It would appear that this is just one more nail in the coffin for
high-end audio as well. Right now I use a PC to play DVDs, Bluray
DVDs, CDs, and DVR. I also have about 2,500 CDs that I paid a kid to
rip using EAC to a couple of 750GB hard drives. The covers were
scanned and the files were encoded using a lossless format. They were
then burned to double sided dvds and stored in slim jewel cases. On
avg I was able to get about 30 CDs on one disc so with the slim jewel
cases about 60 CDs now take up the space of 1 CD.

However this was just for backup storage. I basically now have a PC
that makes no noise in my living room hooked up to the TV. Using two
hard drives I have instant access to over 2500 CDs using winamp to
manage the media library of over 100 days of music. The media library
makes it very easy to find things in seconds. Expensive audio cables?
Well since I am using a digital audio cable and they are all the same
the answer would be no. Basically I have spent money on a nice Amp
and speakers, the rest of the high-end industry will be replaced by
computers.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] charlesppeterson@yahoo.com is offline

It would appear that this is just one more nail in the coffin for
high-end audio as well.

It's "high end" if you use high end DAC's (Benchmark, Lavry, etc.), or
at least a high end soundcard (Lynx, Emu 1616m, ESI Juli@, etc.) It's
not "high end" if you use a $15 soundcard or built-in chip with 70dB
dynamic range. And its high end if it feeds a "high end" speaker
system or headphones.

It's high end if you use 24/96 sources and transmission. Or at least
WAV or AIFF. It's not high end if you use MP3, obviously, or any
lossy compressed format.

I now feed SACD into my digital preamp, EQ and crossover with a 24/96
ADC. That way, FWIW, I'm preserving the greater midrange dynamic
range and frequency response. But most often, I just listed to the
hybrid PCM layer, when available, because it's much more convenient.
Haven't checked if I can feed 24bit PCM from DVD-Audio (or 2496 DVD-
Videos like those from Classic Records) from any of my players. That
would beat using the ADC.

*Right now I use a PC to play DVDs, Bluray
DVDs, CDs, and DVR. *I also have about 2,500 CDs that I paid a kid to
rip using EAC to a couple of 750GB hard drives. *The covers were
scanned and the files were encoded using a lossless format. *They were
then burned to double sided dvds and stored in slim jewel cases. *On
avg I was able to get about 30 CDs on one disc so with the slim jewel
cases about 60 CDs now take up the space of 1 CD.

It's high end if you use EAC or take other measures for exact copying.

What kind of lossless format gives you 30-1 (or even 15-1?)
compression?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

Now that it looks like Bluray has won the next generation
video format war. I was now wondering about the format
war no one cared about DVD-Audio and SACD. Are both
these formats near death?

You just said that this was the format war that nobody cared about. Hold
that thought and fill in the blanks!

Is there any new content or hardware for these formats?

There is a pipeline of products that have been in development for some time.
Ask this question say, 3 years in the future when the current pipeline
contents run out.

It would appear that the mp3
has been chosen as the next generation audio format.

For what?

It would appear that this is just one more nail in the
coffin for high-end audio as well.

If high end audio were really healthy, its cash flow would have floated the
DVD and SACD boats up into the mainstream.

Right now I use a PC
to play DVDs, Bluray DVDs, CDs, and DVR.

You have a BluRay drive in your PC?

I also have
about 2,500 CDs that I paid a kid to rip using EAC to a
couple of 750GB hard drives. The covers were scanned and
the files were encoded using a lossless format. They
were then burned to double sided dvds and stored in slim
jewel cases. On avg I was able to get about 30 CDs on
one disc so with the slim jewel cases about 60 CDs now
take up the space of 1 CD.

Cool!

However this was just for backup storage. I basically
now have a PC that makes no noise in my living room
hooked up to the TV. Using two hard drives I have
instant access to over 2500 CDs using winamp to manage
the media library of over 100 days of music. The media
library makes it very easy to find things in seconds.
Expensive audio cables? Well since I am using a digital
audio cable and they are all the same the answer would be
no. Basically I have spent money on a nice Amp and
speakers, the rest of the high-end industry will be
replaced by computers.

Good for you! You are probably the future of high end audio, such as it
will be after all the boomers retire.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
Bret Ludwig wrote:

On Jan 27, 2:04 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

NBL.

Arny has been ****ting on high end audio for a decade-plus and then
he wails about the poor performance of high end audio.

Some people will be spending big money on audio because of the male
compulsion to measure dicks

And you would certainly know about that...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Good for you! You are probably the future of high end audio, such as it
will be after all the boomers retire.

Actually, probably the future of home audio in general.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 27, 6:33*pm, Jenn wrote:

*Bret Ludwig wrote:

*Some people will be spending big money on audio because of the male
compulsion to measure dicks

And you would certainly know about that...

I, for one, am unaware of any other poster who has posted the alleged
measurements of his dick on RAO.

I would also assume that anybody who would do so is embellishing those
measurements, probably by a factor of two or more.

LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message

On Jan 27, 2:04 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Read what you just wrote Bret. My complaint with high end audio has been
with its poor performance. The poor performance caused the complaints. You
can't blame me for the poor performance, since poor performance preceeded my
complaints.

Some people will be spending big money on audio because
of the male compulsion to measure dicks, so to speak.

Since high end audio is rife with poor performance, you don't get better
sound from it, all you get is bragging rights associated with blowing a lot
of cash.

Instead of making sure the inevitable high dollar
equipment reflects its price in build cost, driving
excellence, Arny just ****s on the industry in general.

You've completely missed the point as usual, Bret. This discussion is not
about build cost but perforamance. Contrary to your apparent beliefs, build
cost is no guarantee of improved performance.

MP3 or any compressed lossy format is inherently no good.

Why do you blame MP3 on me? Where have I advocated it?

Highbit is what we want,

No, improved actual performance is what we want.

and SACD and DVD-A are the best
things going-despite their flaws.

I don't you're following the bouncing ball, Bret. SACD and DVD-A are dead as
mainstream products, and are on life support as niche products. If you blame
that on me, then you're saying that I have a heck of a lot power over the
marketplace. Do you want to say that?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Bratzi's wet dream

Shhhh! said:

I, for one, am unaware of any other poster who has posted the alleged
measurements of his dick on RAO.

Actually, there was such an exchange some years ago. Several RAOers
contributed. I think the tenor was jocular.

I would also assume that anybody who would do so is embellishing those
measurements, probably by a factor of two or more.

Well, of course. This ain't a locker room.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Tim Tim is offline

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:17:30 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Monkey's Audio at "Insane" compression level. It really depends on
the type of music. The majority of my collection (70%) is classical
which compresses better especially piano music and other chamber
music.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Tim wrote:
Monkey's Audio at "Insane" compression level. *It really depends on
the type of music. *The majority of my collection (70%) is classical
which compresses better especially piano music and other chamber
music.

Thanks for that.

BTW, "high end" digital interconnect would not be toslink optical or
ordinary stranded audio interconnects. AES/EBU on balanced 110ohm
cables (I use Canare) or, for spdif, 75 ohm RG6 (solid core) with
"true" (well, nearly) 75 ohm RCA's (once again, Canare, who figured
out how to make an RCA connector closest to 75 ohm) crimped with
Canare tools, not soldered, to preserve the 75 ohm impedance. A
better protocol was out there for awhile but never stuck. Most "high
end" or good pro gear has the balanced AES/EBU, which is preferable to
spdif, or uses master clocks, which is better yet for a complicated
system.

But even optical works surprisingly well, actually. I use up to 30
foot ADAT (rated for 16 channel pro audio) opticals for toslink, and
they seem to work fine, even if not "high end". Even powered from PC,
such a connection can give nearly jitterless audio with a good jitter
immune DAC like Benchmark. There is some evidence to suggest that
using a USB connection from PC doesn't meet high end standards
(Stereophile January 2008) or is at least problematic (though it may
sound fine for casual listening if not more). Dedicated firewire
connections (Emu 1616m, Lynx, and Digidesign are built on that) seem
to work better than USB for realtime audio.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message

BTW, "high end" digital interconnect would not be toslink
optical or ordinary stranded audio interconnects.

Modern consumer audio interconnect would be something like audio transmitted
over HDMI.

AES/EBU on balanced 110ohm cables (I use Canare) or, for
spdif, 75 ohm RG6 (solid core) with "true" (well, nearly)
75 ohm RCA's (once again, Canare, who figured out how to
make an RCA connector closest to 75 ohm) crimped with
Canare tools, not soldered, to preserve the 75 ohm
impedance. A better protocol was out there for awhile
but never stuck. Most "high end" or good pro gear has
the balanced AES/EBU, which is preferable to spdif, or
uses master clocks, which is better yet for a complicated
system.

While concern over preserving impedance of digital cables over the length of
a connector is commendable on the grounds of hygiene, in fact there is no
AES-3 line that has a high enough data rate for it to matter one tiny bit.

But even optical works surprisingly well, actually. I
use up to 30 foot ADAT (rated for 16 channel pro audio)
opticals for toslink, and they seem to work fine, even if
not "high end".

The purpose of the equipment that is at the receiving end of a TOSLINK cable
is to make the signal sonically perfect, no matter what happens to it in the
plastic optics.

Even powered from PC, such a connection
can give nearly jitterless audio with a good jitter
immune DAC like Benchmark.

....or just about any competent surround-sound decoder, whether the signal is
surround or just stereo.

There is some evidence to
suggest that using a USB connection from PC doesn't meet
high end standards (Stereophile January 2008)

IME Atkinson's ideas about jitter amount to pseudo science and magic,
illustrated in color on log graph paper. I'm sure he found some, but he will
probably die before he shows that it is audible based on any reasonable
listening test.

or is at
least problematic (though it may sound fine for casual
listening if not more). Dedicated firewire connections
(Emu 1616m, Lynx, and Digidesign are built on that) seem
to work better than USB for realtime audio.

On balance, no. Firewire's biggest advantage is that it is far older
technology than USB. At this point, USB is getting mature enough that it is
starting to catch up, or is caught up in its most recent implementations.
USB-2 audio probably owes its greatest debt to USB flash drives.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson[_2_] John Atkinson[_2_] is offline

On Jan 28, 7:45*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

There is some evidence to suggest that using a USB
connection from PC doesn't meet high end standards
(Stereophile January 2008)

IME Atkinson's ideas about jitter amount to pseudo
science and magic, illustrated in color on log graph paper.

Thank you, Mr. Krueger. Coming from you, this is
praise indeed (vide Dr. Glen Zelniker's public views on
your knowledge of digital theory). But as always, you
would do better actually reading what I write before
criticizing it. Yes, some USB implementations suffer
from surprisingly high amounts of word-clock jitter -- as
high as 10s of nanoseconds -- but my primary concern
of late has been the fact that it is all too easy for
consumers _not_ to get bit-transparent transmission
of audio data via USB in both PC and Mac worlds.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"John Atkinson" wrote in
message

On Jan 28, 7:45 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

There is some evidence to suggest that using a USB
connection from PC doesn't meet high end standards
(Stereophile January 2008)

IME Atkinson's ideas about jitter amount to pseudo
science and magic, illustrated in color on log graph
paper.

Thank you, Mr. Krueger. Coming from you, this is
praise indeed (vide Dr. Glen Zelniker's public views on
your knowledge of digital theory).

Well you know, I don't have Glen to kick around any more, John. I guess he
lacks what you might call staying power. Sort of like your other supporters,
what was his name - that guy who helped a lot of old-time RAO regulars lose
big bucks on some investments?

But as always, you
would do better actually reading what I write before
criticizing it.

Aren't you still using that test that has no known relaible correlation with
proper listening tests?

Yes, some USB implementations suffer
from surprisingly high amounts of word-clock jitter -- as
high as 10s of nanoseconds

Just numbers.

but my primary concern
of late has been the fact that it is all too easy for
consumers _not_ to get bit-transparent transmission
of audio data via USB in both PC and Mac worlds.

Trust you John to make a big fuss about problems that are 90 dB down, in a
world where just about every recording has a noise floor that is less than
75 dB down. For a guy who makes a big fuss about subjectivity, you seem to
be long on numbers and short on reliable listening tests to back up your
concerns.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 28 Ian, 15:36, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Well you know, I don't have Glen to kick around any more, John. I guess he
lacks what you might call staying power.

Since you miss him so much, gonna round him up and deputize him, and
stick him in my get Arny posse. All I want to do is make you happy.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Clyde Slick said:

Well you know, I don't have Glen[sic] to kick[sic] around any more, John.

Since you miss him so much, gonna round him up and deputize him, and
stick him in my get Arny posse. All I want to do is make you happy.

I heard from Dr. Z recently. He asked about RAO, and I gave him a link to
a thread in which Krooger and Witless were having one of their pointless
arguments on a subject they know nothing about. He said he was nauseated
by the thought of trying to talk sense into either of them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Yapper yapped:

I heard from Dr. Z recently. He asked about RAO, and I gave him a link to
a thread in which Krooger and Witless were having one of their pointless
arguments on a subject they know nothing about. He said he was nauseated
by the thought of trying to talk sense into either of them.

You're lying.

Does that thought really bother you, Scooter? Zelniker doesn't consider
you a peer in any sense, you know. His opinion of you isn't as harsh as
mine, but it's a long way from "somebody I'd be glad to talk engineering
with".

Sorry to bring you down, but it's absolutely true. It's also good to know
that when you accuse somebody of "lying", it's likely to be a purely
emotional outburst on your part, unconnected to any facts.

Is SACD dead? Henk Boonsma Tech 2 October 18th 04 10:32 PM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 3 May 30th 04 02:22 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM
Is Locksmithing as dead as Linux? Or is it as dead as recording studios? Aegis Pro Audio 0 May 30th 04 02:18 AM
McCarty is DEAD WRONG about audio.net... Ken Drescher Marketplace 2 March 18th 04 06:11 AM