George

Default Firewire, Hot Swappable or not?

I read much about firewire before deciding to move from USB to firewire
for my ourboard devices
Firewire was supposed to be hot patchable but my M-Audio 410 claims hot
patching thier firewire will damage and render inoperatable both my
ports and ext devices
connections MUST be made or unmade with the computer OFF
Is the hot swappable claim of firewire just ad copy ? what other
firewire devices forbid hot swapping?
thanks
George
Danny

On my mac, if unplug or turn off a Firewire unit I get a message that
something was turned off wrong and there might be damage to something...
If I eject the hard drive like I would a CD the message doesn't come on.
I think all the FW units are a little different.

George wrote:
I read much about firewire before deciding to move from USB to firewire
for my ourboard devices
Firewire was supposed to be hot patchable but my M-Audio 410 claims hot
patching thier firewire will damage and render inoperatable both my
ports and ext devices
connections MUST be made or unmade with the computer OFF
Is the hot swappable claim of firewire just ad copy ? what other
firewire devices forbid hot swapping?
thanks
George

Marc Heusser

In article , Danny
wrote:

On my mac, if unplug or turn off a Firewire unit I get a message that
something was turned off wrong and there might be damage to something...
If I eject the hard drive like I would a CD the message doesn't come on.
I think all the FW units are a little different.

IEEE1394 standard specifies that devices are to be hot pluggeable.
The errror message above says that the computer cannot guarantee that
all changed data has been written to the removeable device before you
unplugged it. This is software only, or data. There is no damage to
hardware.

HTH

Marc

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)
Danny

Marc Heusser wrote:

IEEE1394 standard specifies that devices are to be hot pluggeable.
The errror message above says that the computer cannot guarantee that
all changed data has been written to the removeable device before you
unplugged it. This is software only, or data. There is no damage to
hardware.

HTH

Marc

Thanks for that. I thought so but you know I always swallow a rock when
I unplug.

ScotFraser

I thought so but you know I always swallow a rock when
I unplug.

With Macs, you have to drag the icon of that drive to the trash so that the
FireWire bus will not expect it to be there anymore. After that, unplug at
will.

Scott Fraser
MacKerr

Mike rivers expressed:

I'd sure be afraid to do that (until someone told me otherwise). In my
imagination, that means "erase everything on the drive."
BRBR

The trash can icon turns into an eject icon if you get near it with a drive
icon. If that still worries you, just select the icon of the drive you need to
unmount and select eject from the file menu, or hit "command" E.

Mac

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:54:45 -0600, Danny wrote:

On my mac, if unplug or turn off a Firewire unit I get a message that
something was turned off wrong and there might be damage to something...
If I eject the hard drive like I would a CD the message doesn't come on.
I think all the FW units are a little different.

Does it say physical damage might be done? Or that data buffers might
be lost?

Danny

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:54:45 -0600, Danny wrote:

On my mac, if unplug or turn off a Firewire unit I get a message that
something was turned off wrong and there might be damage to something...
If I eject the hard drive like I would a CD the message doesn't come on.
I think all the FW units are a little different.

Does it say physical damage might be done? Or that data buffers might
be lost?

It says data might be lost... but it never is.

Raymond

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:54:45 -0600, Danny wrote:

On my mac, if unplug or turn off a Firewire unit I get a message that
something was turned off wrong and there might be damage to something...
If I eject the hard drive like I would a CD the message doesn't come on.
I think all the FW units are a little different.

I've not used the external Firewire interfaces on my Mac G4 (yet) but, I just
got an external DVD combo drive for my PC. The manual states, "you can unplug
without fear as long as your not writing to, or reading from the drive." Really
has no pressing to your question, I just wanted to throw in some PC info just
for the heck of it.
ScotFraser

With Macs, you have to drag the icon of that drive to the trash so that
the
FireWire bus will not expect it to be there anymore. After that, unplug at
will.

I'd sure be afraid to do that (until someone told me otherwise). In my
imagination, that means "erase everything on the drive."

It's a Mac thing. The way you unmount a drive or eject a disk is to drag its
icon to the trash. Also, any data item sitting in the trash can be retrieved up
until you intentionally empty the trash. It's a Mac thing.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

I am going from now on assume that the devices are not hot swappable
regardless of if I am warned or not

But they are. I do it all the time. Dragging to the trash is just the Mac
method of unmounting a drive.

Scott Fraser

R. Foote

Maybe so, but there are apparently some bus-powered Firewire drives that
can damage the Mac's hardware if you hot-plug them, despite the fact
that FireWire was designed for that to work. There are signs everywhere
at Berklee forbidding hot-plugging drives because of that.

There have been lots of documented cases of blown FW controllers on
Mac G4's when "Hot Plugging". Some were probably ESD though.

\Granma\ Dave Schein II, CSO

c'mon, guys,

Windows took a cue from Mac years ago and created the Eco-Friendly Recycle
Bin. Now, we have the same basic thing as the MacTrashcan. Adding Norton
SystemWorks gives another layer of protection, as NSW can 'protect' the
RecycleBin so even after you empty the RB, NSW holds on to it for a
user-specified period of time before actually deleting it- kinda like taking
the recycling to the curb, you need to wait for the trash men to come pick
it up.

As far as the 1394 thing with PCs, it's all HotSwap, too. Some devices,
like harddrives, use Delayed Write or write buffering, which can give an
error if you unplug while it's still waiting to dump to the disk, but other
than that, it's all good.

and, yes, i have had to read through grinds- it's lame and I hate it.

Be well

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article writes:

With Macs, you have to drag the icon of that drive to the trash

I'd sure be afraid to do that (until someone told me otherwise). In my
imagination, that means "erase everything on the drive."

That's windoze. Macs aren't that stupid.

Or maybe Mac users have a better imagination. When I want to get rid
of something physical, I put it in the trash. I have (more often than
I'd like to admit) occasionally rooted through the trash can to
retrieve something, usually a piece of paper. But I can't count on
anything being there or being retrievable. Ever try to read through a
cup full of coffee grounds?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

hank alrich

Jay Levitt wrote:

Maybe so, but there are apparently some bus-powered Firewire drives that
can damage the Mac's hardware if you hot-plug them, despite the fact
that FireWire was designed for that to work. There are signs everywhere
at Berklee forbidding hot-plugging drives because of that.

There was a string of Mac laptops, including TiBooks like mine, that
suffered from a FW defect, and that was the source of the blown busses.
It wasn't th fault of the drive, it was Apple's fault. Beyond a certain
date of manufacture one needn't worry about this, as eventually the
bitching got to Apple's brain, even as the warranty fixes impacted
Apple's bottom line, and action was taken to fix the buss. I waited to
buy my TiBook until the last "still boots OS9" 'books were near their
end-of-(sales)-life.

--
ha
ScotFraser

Ever try to read through a
cup full of coffee grounds?

I can attest that magnetic tape is playable through a large qualtity of coffee
grounds & old stale milk.

Scott Fraser

so what

Mike Rivers wrote:

But I can't count on anything being there or being retrievable. Ever
try to read through a cup full of coffee grounds?

Heck, haven't you ever retrieved the grounds *and* the newspaper because
you were out of coffee?

-- I'm really Mike Rivers ) However, until the
spam goes away or Hell freezes over, lots of IP addresses are blocked
from this system. If you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret
decoder ring and reach me he double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo

MacKerr

Analogeezer posited:

Sort of like Volkswagens, right?

My keyboard player has this theory that there is a high rate of
corollation between people that buy Macs and Volkswagen Jettas and
GTi's.

Analogeezer BRBR

As the owner at various times of 3 VW's and 2 Audi's and 6 Macs I can't
disagree.

Mac Kerr
ScotFraser

Oh, so you've eaten breakfast over an open box of tape, too?

"What do mean where's the reel? Those were out takes, weren't they? Oh ****..."

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

If the latter, then you need to have the guts to let go of the
mouse button the first time and gain confidence that it unmonuts the
drive and doesn't delete its contents.

It's not guts, it's just familiarity with Mac commands. To delete the contents
of a drive on a Mac you drag the files out of the drive into the trash, & then
it still asks you if you are sure you want to delete the items when you go to
empty the trash. It's designed so that you have to be pretty determined to
delete stuff.

Scott Fraser