Matt

Default internship at a studio

I'm really into the studio stuff, and after i take a class in audio
production and sequencing I would be interested in looking for an
internship at a nearby studio, or at least an assistant or something
like that so i could get an idea of the enviroment. Obviously it
differs from studio to studio, but do studios typically let you do
this? I'm 15 and a sophmore now, but probably wouldnt look around for
this kind of work for another year or two. Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

Roger W. Norman

It's a great way to learn the business, but the likelihood is extremely
small.

First, realize that interns don't get paid, do the dirty work, need to know
how to keep their mouths shut, and go fetch. If you're lucky enough,
perhaps in a year you'll be asked to carry mic stands into a studio. If
you're really good, perhaps you'll even be asked to mount mics, but at $2k
per mic, maybe not. Certainly it would take major impressiveness for you to
be able to take mic stands in, mount the mics and position them.

It's a pity. Internship is the best way to learn the business, and the
least likely avenue to become an engineer unless you've got the intestinal
fortitude to stick through some major bull**** to get to the good stuff.

Oh, and then there's the distinct possibility that no local studio would
have a spot open for you in the first place.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
I'm really into the studio stuff, and after i take a class in audio
production and sequencing I would be interested in looking for an
internship at a nearby studio, or at least an assistant or something
like that so i could get an idea of the enviroment. Obviously it
differs from studio to studio, but do studios typically let you do
this? I'm 15 and a sophmore now, but probably wouldnt look around for
this kind of work for another year or two. Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

David Grant

Do some networking... I found a relative who has a good friend who runs a
decent sized studio, and now I'm probably going to be helping out there this
summer. Roger's right, chances are slim otherwise.

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
[...]

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
I'm really into the studio stuff, and after i take a class in audio
production and sequencing I would be interested in looking for an
internship at a nearby studio, or at least an assistant or something
like that so i could get an idea of the enviroment. Obviously it
differs from studio to studio, but do studios typically let you do
this? I'm 15 and a sophmore now, but probably wouldnt look around for
this kind of work for another year or two. Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

Matt

Oops sorry, I'm in bethesda maryland right outside of DC.

Yeah i figurerd there'd be no chance, theres no way anyone would trust
me with much. I'm not that experienced with the technological part OR
the logistics anyway. After college........--MAtt

"David Grant" wrote in message e.rogers.com...
[...]

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
I'm really into the studio stuff, and after i take a class in audio
production and sequencing I would be interested in looking for an
internship at a nearby studio, or at least an assistant or something
like that so i could get an idea of the enviroment. Obviously it
differs from studio to studio, but do studios typically let you do
this? I'm 15 and a sophmore now, but probably wouldnt look around for
this kind of work for another year or two. Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

Scott Dorsey

Matt wrote:
Oops sorry, I'm in bethesda maryland right outside of DC.

Yeah i figurerd there'd be no chance, theres no way anyone would trust
me with much. I'm not that experienced with the technological part OR
the logistics anyway. After college........--MAtt

So, volunteer with the PA crew at the Washington Folk Festival, Potomac
Celtic festival, etc.

Find a local studio, radio station, or TV repair shop and start hanging
out there after school.
Roach

Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

It's a great idea to look for some college courses, or better yet an entire
college program. I'm currently in school for audio engineering and it's a
great experience. An internship is offered at the end of my program, and
better yet, there are invaluable networking opportunities within the
school -- both with peers, teachers, and speakers currently in the industry.
The downside is that it is a lot of money, but if you *research a school
that's right for you*, the money will be worth it.

Roach

David Grant

"Roach" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Is this a good way to be
educated in studio work, or should I just take courses in college? I
figure most studios would not really look too hard at a highschooler
with 1 class behind their belt, but its worth a try. Any opinions,
recommendations, etc.?--MAtt

It's a great idea to look for some college courses, or better yet an

entire
college program. I'm currently in school for audio engineering and it's a
great experience. An internship is offered at the end of my program, and
better yet, there are invaluable networking opportunities within the
school -- both with peers, teachers, and speakers currently in the

industry.
The downside is that it is a lot of money, but if you *research a school
that's right for you*, the money will be worth it.

Roach

Tell me, is the program *actually* called audio engineering? I thought there
were still pretty strict limitations on use of the term "engineering".

EganMedia

Find a local studio, radio station, or TV repair shop and start hanging
out there after school.
--scott BRBR

Good advice. Just don't spend too much time looking for a TV repair shop. Now
that TVs are disposable, there aren't many repair shops left.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com