Phil Anderson

Default Ampzilla Hums! - Troubleshooting advice, please.

Between replacing a cooling fan and moving into a place that
demanded a whole lot of other work, my audio system has been MIA
for many months. Thanks to the storm, between yesterday and today
I finally found the time to track down all the pieces and wire all
the pieces (amp, preamp, tuner, turntable and CD player) together.

I turned on Ampzilla first and promptly heard what I presume was a
ground hum. I turned Ampzilla off. My first thought was to rule
out any connection to any other link in the chain as the culprit.
I disconnected the preamp (Thaedra) from the amp, unplugged
everything else, and plugged 'zilla straight into the wall, then
turned it on again. The hum returned, accompanied by a couple of
fairly loud pops from the left channel speaker.

The system worked fine in the previous apartment, but for an
annoyance with the old cooling fan. After seeking some newsgroup
advice, I found a Papst fan to replace it, but did not find the
time to try the system with the new fan in the old location.

In short, it worked, I replaced the fan, I moved, and now it hums.

At the risk of sounding like some sort of electronics school exam:
How many possible hum sources are there in the above scenario, and
what can I do to troubleshoot them and/or rule some out?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

John A. Weeks III

In article , Phil Anderson
wrote:

In short, it worked, I replaced the fan, I moved, and now it hums.

At the risk of sounding like some sort of electronics school exam:
How many possible hum sources are there in the above scenario, and
what can I do to troubleshoot them and/or rule some out?

It would be nice to rule the fan in or out right away. You can
probably run the amp for a short period of time without it. How
about disconnecting the fan, both wires, and see what happens.
If it still hums, then it wasn't the fan, and you likely have a
power or grounding issue.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Mark D. Zacharias

Occasionally wire routing might induce hum, but this doesn't explain the
pops. I'm thinking the amp has an actual problem, such as a intermediate
level dc offset on that left channel.

Mark Z.

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

Phil Anderson

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article , Phil Anderson
wrote:

In short, it worked, I replaced the fan, I moved, and now it

hums.

At the risk of sounding like some sort of electronics school

exam:
How many possible hum sources are there in the above scenario,

and
what can I do to troubleshoot them and/or rule some out?

It would be nice to rule the fan in or out right away. You can
probably run the amp for a short period of time without it. How
about disconnecting the fan, both wires, and see what happens.
If it still hums, then it wasn't the fan, and you likely have a
power or grounding issue.

-john-

The amp will run for quite a while without the fan. I will try to
open it up tomorrow night and report back to the group. Thanks
for an excellent suggestion.

Phil

Phil Anderson

This turns out to be a little weirder than I thought. When I
heard the hum last night, it never occurred to me it might be from
one channel only. I figured this was a ground hum, and such
things always occur in both channels, do they not? The pop came
from the left channel, that I was sure of, but nothing more.

So, I turned it on again tonight, with a listener staged by the
right channel. She heard nothing. I heard another pop from the
left channel. I moved over to that speaker, and heard only a very
slight hiss. The hum is coming from the amp itself!

I am far from expert in any of this, but I've got to admit this
worries me a lot more than did the thought I had a ground hum to
diagnose. Also, my power meter lights no longer work. I am
certain that they worked in the old apartment, all those months
ago. I do not recall if they worked last night or not. I turned
it off pretty quick and do not recall noticing.

What is my next step?

Phil

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
P.S.

Does it hum on both channels?

mz

--
Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses

and spam

[...]

Phil Anderson

wrote:

In short, it worked, I replaced the fan, I moved, and now it

hums.

At the risk of sounding like some sort of electronics school

exam:
How many possible hum sources are there in the above scenario,

and
what can I do to troubleshoot them and/or rule some out?

It would be nice to rule the fan in or out right away. You can
probably run the amp for a short period of time without it. How
about disconnecting the fan, both wires, and see what happens.
If it still hums, then it wasn't the fan, and you likely have a
power or grounding issue.

Some followup before I disconnect the fan tomorrow night. Mark
Zacharias asked if the hum was in one or both channels. After
turning it back on to check, I wrote the following to him, and
wonder if it changes your fan suggestion at all:
quote:
[...]

end quote

Phil

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Phil Anderson" wrote:

[...]

The pops could be a bad electrolytic capacitor or solder joint. As for
the hum, you probably caused that during repairs. Find the vibrating
panel and crease it, or check that the fan is mounted the right way.

Mark D. Zacharias

Hi, Phil.

I'm still not sure from your response whether the hum is coming from one or
both speakers, or a mechanical noise from the amp chassis itself.
If it's a mechanical noise, one can use a listening instrument such as a
medium length screwdriver, and physically touch it to a part of the chassis
while holding the handle to your ear. Works like a stethoscope, and I find
this useful to help isolate mech noises.

To be truthful I'm not very familiar with the larger 'Zilla, but I'm pretty
sure I have a schematic somewhere.

It's not uncommon for lamps to fail after a piece is moved from one location
to another. The old filament is often very weak from age and the slightest
vibration is all it takes for it to die.

wrote:

[...]

Phil Anderson

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Hi, Phil.

I'm still not sure from your response whether the hum is coming

from one or
both speakers, or a mechanical noise from the amp chassis

itself.
If it's a mechanical noise, one can use a listening instrument

such as a
medium length screwdriver, and physically touch it to a part of

the chassis
while holding the handle to your ear. Works like a stethoscope,

and I find
this useful to help isolate mech noises.

I am sorry if I was unclear. The hum is from the amp itself.
Also, the meter lamps have stopped working.

Arny Krueger

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

Hi, Phil.

I'm still not sure from your response whether the hum is coming from
one or both speakers, or a mechanical noise from the amp chassis
itself. If it's a mechanical noise, one can use a listening
instrument such as a medium length screwdriver, and physically touch
it to a part of the chassis while holding the handle to your ear.
Works like a stethoscope, and I find this useful to help isolate
mech noises.

I am sorry if I was unclear. The hum is from the amp itself.
Also, the meter lamps have stopped working.

You moved your abode, which means that the amp was shipped. Both of these
symptoms could be the result of severe shock, which is of course common when
things are shipped.

The hum could be due to something getting a little loose, mechanically. The
bulbs may have failed because their filaments were damaged by extreme shock.