"Monte McGuire" wrote in message

My biggest complaint is that as far as I can tell, there's nothing
automatic about AutoTune if you're doing it right. A really bad product
name, IMHO!!

Yeah, but "Manu-Tune" didn't pass the focus group test.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

knud

Actually I thought it was a lot worse in the 80's with all that sequenced
synth pop.

Much of that stuff was far more expressive and "human" than current "band"
recordings.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

knud

There are nice ways of saying that a take sucks without really saying it,
like "I think the song is progressing well! I'm thinking that we're a take
or two away from a keeper, what do you think? Wanna hear the playback
again?"

Naturally... lying is part of recording "rock" musicians. Even if you don't
lie in normal life, you have to hold your tounge and sugar coat statements
otherwise people get quite upset when they feel their fragile egos are being
challenged.
"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

knud

If they are so incredible have them sing it again I say. Or leave the
"pitchyness" in. People today have very messed up ideas about what

constitutes
acceptable intonation.

I'm recording a kid from Burkina Faso, a griot, who is
writing singing and accompanying himself on electric guitar
for a contemporary African audience and have learned a whole
lot about that. At first I thought, "poor kid", and then I
realized that his "off" intonation was identical on
different takes. The other day I heard him sing something
with perfect western intonation. I've gained a new
appreciation for his native form.
Bob
--

This happens even with native USA-ans. I've heard people who are
consistently flat or sharp in the exact same way every time, and it can sound

What can you do? Every song on the radio is painfully autotuned. I guess the
majority must be right, just like nazi germany.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message news:znr1089320391k@trad...

Now when someone goes into a studio with a band and cuts an album in a
couple of days, it rates a story in Mix.

So... you gonna' write a story about Tommy Morrell ??

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

ScotFraser

I agree with the original post. making records is a lie.

No it isn't. It's just a completely different art form from a live music
performance. Just as cinema is a very different art form from theatre, & dance
is a different art form from sculpture. Each art form has its relevant craft,
tools & technique. None of that makes any of it a lie.

Scott Fraser

Ricky W. Hunt

"knud" wrote in message
My poin is people seem to be railing against auto tune. They must be

working
with some really bad singers.

Its not that. Even good singers are being piped through auto-tune just
because its in vogue.

That's the one that really gets me. I just read an article the other day on
that exact thing. To the younger kids it only sounds "professional" if it
has that phased (that's how I hear it) sound of Autotune.

Bryson

knud wrote:

Why this trend towards expressionless, robotic performance? All the cheesy
predictions about "futuristic music" are coming true little by little. Pretty
soon people will be content with a computer generated song with physically
modeled vocalist. Slap a lip-syncing Mickey Mouse club graduate on stage and
there you go.

No, a computer generated hologram, "live" in every major city (or
living room) at the same time.

dt king

"Bryson" wrote in message
ink.net...

knud wrote:

Why this trend towards expressionless, robotic performance? All the

cheesy
predictions about "futuristic music" are coming true little by little.

Pretty
soon people will be content with a computer generated song with

physically
modeled vocalist. Slap a lip-syncing Mickey Mouse club graduate on stage

and
there you go.

No, a computer generated hologram, "live" in every major city (or
living room) at the same time.

Actually, this sounds kind of cool...

--
dt king
www.thoughtdog.com

georgeh

playon playonATcomcast.net writes:

Much of modern music isn't acoustic in origin. Things have changed.

Yes, I know that. Most people are listening to records and CDs spun by
DJs, and MP3s. I guess if you hear a band in a small club you are
still hearing the real thing.

Not necessarily. I'm amazed at how many "club" bands are augmenting
their sound these days. Sometimes it seems only the "dinosaurs"
setup and play "live" anymore.

normanstrong

"Danny Taddei" wrote in message

playon wrote:
On 8 Jul 2004

How many people today even listen to any musical sound that hasn't
been put thru a mic? Very few people even know what acoustic
instruments sound like in a room.

Al

try not to laugh (or cry) to hard but I was in a bar with a friend

and
said that the acoustic guitar that the player was on sounded nice

and he
ask "what's an acoustic guitar". How sad is that?

That's not as strange as you might think. When I was growing up there
were guitars and electric guitars. An electric guitar was a novelty.
That's why it had the additional modifier. Today most guitars are
electric, so when someone says "guitar" they are most likely referring
to an electric one. The modifier is thus attached to the "acoustic"
guitar.

The principle is that the most common realization of a noun does not
require the modifier. The less common should have a modifier to
distinguish it from the most common.

Norm Strong

Don Pearce

playon wrote:
[...]

So how come ice hockey is just called hockey in the states? Surely the
field sport is the most common there, as it is here.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

knud

Its not that. Even good singers are being piped through auto-tune just
because its in vogue.

That's the one that really gets me. I just read an article the other day on
that exact thing. To the younger kids it only sounds "professional" if it
has that phased (that's how I hear it) sound of Autotune.

I guess the late 80's had the ridiculous, bloated snare reverb and now we
have autotune.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

Danny Taddei

normanstrong wrote:

That's not as strange as you might think. When I was growing up there
were guitars and electric guitars. An electric guitar was a novelty.
That's why it had the additional modifier. Today most guitars are
electric, so when someone says "guitar" they are most likely referring
to an electric one. The modifier is thus attached to the "acoustic"
guitar.

The principle is that the most common realization of a noun does not
require the modifier. The less common should have a modifier to
distinguish it from the most common.

Norm Strong

Sugar coat it all you want but my friend deserves the ridicule :-)

Danny Taddei

Don Pearce wrote:

So how come ice hockey is just called hockey in the states? Surely the
field sport is the most common there, as it is here.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

I think that in the UK people use the term ice hockey to modify the more
common pocket hockey :-)

sorry, momentary urge to jab -

Don Pearce

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:57:41 -0600, Danny Taddei
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

So how come ice hockey is just called hockey in the states? Surely the
field sport is the most common there, as it is here.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

I think that in the UK people use the term ice hockey to modify the more
common pocket hockey :-)

sorry, momentary urge to jab -

Sorry - pocket billiards over here.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Logan Shaw

Don Pearce wrote:

So how come ice hockey is just called hockey in the states? Surely the
field sport is the most common there, as it is here.

I'm not a rabid fan of either, but I'm going to go out on a limb and
say that ice hockey actually is quite a bit more popular than field
hockey in the US. Neither of them is especially popular, and so there
are mostly enough ice rinks in shopping malls, etc. to cover the needs
of ice hockey players. Plus most of the popularity of any form of
hockey in the US comes from Canada's influence, and it would seem that
ice hockey is more popular in Canada than field hockey is there.

- Logan