Mark Steven Brooks

Default What's the CREEPIEST song ever?

Pink Floyd's first album..........the song, was, I think, called Various
Species of Small Furry Creatures Grooving In A Cave With A
Pict.

Not quite correct. Anyway-it's off their 4th album.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Mark Steven Brooks

Dozens of songs by 'Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel'
come to mind.

(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
knud

I just heard a tune by Ween called "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)"
that's a f*cking freak show. Worst of all, I cannot get the toy piano
riff they utilize (to great effect) out of my head...

LOL, my vote goes squarely on Zappa's "Help I'm a Rock" which I thought
said "help on the rock" when I was little and it scared the bejesus out of my
sister and I.

blahblah
ALL MUSIC IS ORIGINAL...
EVEN IF ONLY ONE NOTE IS CHANGED!
EVERYONE CREATES IN A VACUUM!
Tommy B

U right!
Written by Goffin & King
Inspired by a baby sitter (just kidding)
but "Little Eva" was their babysitter.
I met them both once, at different times.
Carol is a lovely and gracious person.
She totally blew my mind & made my day.
Tom

"georgeh" wrote in message
George writes:

In article .net,
"dt king" wrote:

"George" wrote in message

either Bloodrocks DOA or Go Away little Girl by????

You mean the one by Donnie Osmond?

yes but it was done by a older man before him
seems very "chester the molester"ish
kinda like "young girl" by gary puckett

Wasn't that Steve Lawrence?

ar3a

"Len Moskowitz" wrote in message

AweSpishus wrote:

I know this is a little late, our being 2+ weeks hence Hallowee'en's
influence, but I'm wondering aloud here what peoples' creepiest faves
are. You know the song or songs make the hair on your arms stand on
end.

Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were"

"Brap" by "Skinny Puppy".
Heck...just about anything from Skinny Puppy...
:-)

Tommy B

The creepiest song ever............hmm..........I hate to repeat myself but,
"Lookout", a song I wrote that was #1 in 4 countries in Europe, album sold a
mil, I singed away my publishing (Duh), and the creep up and dissapeared.
Pretty creepy, but that's not what you mean is it?
This was real creepy..............I was "watching" a porn tape, when all of
a sudden the music grabs my attention,
I'm thinking, I know this, what the **** is it?
Then I realized, of coarse you know it Einstien, you wrote it! Ouch!!! Talk
about spoiling the mood! Very creepy.
U can't make this **** up,
Tom

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In rec.audio.pro, (AweSpishus) wrote:

I know this is a little late, our being 2+ weeks hence Hallowee'en's
influence, but I'm wondering aloud here what peoples' creepiest faves
are. You know the song or songs make the hair on your arms stand on
end.

Most of the good ones, such as "Timothy" have already been
mentioned in this thread.
In a (AFAIK) toungue-in-cheek vein, there's Darryl Rhoades from
"Burgers From Heaven":
http://www.music-comedy.com/store/necrophilia.mp3
On this page http://www.music-comedy.com/store/burgers.htm the song
is titled "She's a morticians' [sic] dream come true" but I always
thought the title was just "Necrophillia."
In the unintended category, someone already mentioned "Cake out in
the Rain" and a few others. There's also "Tiptoe through the Tulips."

I just heard a tune by Ween called "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)"
that's a f*cking freak show. Worst of all, I cannot get the toy piano
riff they utilize (to great effect) out of my head...

Help!!!

I just thought, if we shared some of these musings we might be able
to exorcise the awful, awful sounds.

It seems like this thread is actually, um, resurrecting them. (!)

WoooOOooOooO.........!

: )

Awe

R Krizman

Randy Newman "In Germany Before the War" (from "Little Criminals"")

and of course,

"Butterfly Kisses"

-R
DJ

I stand correted. It was Ummagumma, etc.

;-(getting too old to remember my Floyd......now that's sad;-)

DJ

"Clive Backham" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:44:19 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

Pink Floyd's first album..........the song, was, I think, called Various
Species of Small Furry Creatures Grooving In A Cave With A
Pict.........

That was on Ummagumma, which was Floyd's 4th album. (And to
demonstrate my terminal sadness, I can even give the full correct
title: "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a
Cave and Grooving with a Pict").

also, another song by 'Floyd called One of These Days (the only
vocal line in the whole song says "One of these days I'm going to cut you
into little pieces".

From the album Meddle.

Creepiest song I can think of right now is "Drugs" by Talking Heads.

DJ

..........and obviously, too old to spell.

"DJ" wrote in message
news.com...
I stand correted. It was Ummagumma, etc.

;-(getting too old to remember my Floyd......now that's sad;-)

DJ

"Clive Backham" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:44:19 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

Pink Floyd's first album..........the song, was, I think, called

Various
Species of Small Furry Creatures Grooving In A Cave With A
Pict.........

That was on Ummagumma, which was Floyd's 4th album. (And to
demonstrate my terminal sadness, I can even give the full correct
title: "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a
Cave and Grooving with a Pict").

also, another song by 'Floyd called One of These Days (the only
vocal line in the whole song says "One of these days I'm going to cut

you
into little pieces".

From the album Meddle.

Creepiest song I can think of right now is "Drugs" by Talking Heads.

DJ

Strange Fruit, sung by Billie Holliday (don't remember if she wrote it).
Pretty creepy visual in that song.

DJ

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
georgeh wrote:
Dylan Smith writes:

The creepiest would definitely be Johnny Cash's cover of Nick Cave's The
Mercy Seat....
drs

Wrong. It would be Cab Calloway's cover of "St. James Infirmary"

That IS creepy.
The Artie Shaw version is also kind of creepy, but in a different way.
It also takes two sides.

Dave Martin

"callowaykid" wrote in message
om...
Well actually when it comes to my grandfather, though "St. James" is

right up there with up there, with "Kickin' the Gong Around" I think
his creepiest has got to be "The Ghost of Smokey Joe".

Oddly enough, I was talking to a singer yesterday about doing "Kickin' The
Gong Around" on R&B dates.. I think as long as I don't tell her what the
slang means, I may get her to do it... I won't sound like Cab, but it ought
to be fun...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

steve

You forgot to mention "careful with that axe, eugene" And If I remember
correctly ".. grooving with a pict" was on umma-gumma studio lp, after
Sid left with a mangled brain. There were several earlier albums.

DJ wrote:

Pink Floyd's first album..........the song, was, I think, called Various
Species of Small Furry Creatures Grooving In A Cave With A
Pict.........also, another song by 'Floyd called One of These Days (the only
vocal line in the whole song says "One of these days I'm going to cut you
into little pieces". Coolest use of delays I had ever heard up to that time
and a rather powerful slide guitar too. Also, there was a song back in the
early 80's called Lunatic Fringe which was rather disturbing. Some of the
"gangsta' rap" lyrics are pretty creepy too.

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO

john muir

Barbra Streisand's "The Way We Were"

That's funny!!!

How 'bout "Sniper" by Harry Chapin?????
Kurt Riemann

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:59:34 -0600, Rob Adelman
wrote:

JWelsh3374 wrote:

DOA by Bloodrock!

Yes, thats the one.

Followed closely by "Timothy"

"My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around to finding Timothy"

Kurt Riemann
John L Rice

"Gsquared" wrote in message

"AweSpishus" wrote in message
om...
I know this is a little late, our being 2+ weeks hence Hallowee'en's
influence, but I'm wondering aloud here what peoples' creepiest faves
are. You know the song or songs make the hair on your arms stand on
end.

I just heard a tune by Ween called "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)"
that's a f*cking freak show. Worst of all, I cannot get the toy piano
riff they utilize (to great effect) out of my head...

Help!!!

I just thought, if we shared some of these musings we might be able
to exorcise the awful, awful sounds.

WoooOOooOooO.........!

: )

Awe

Tubular Bells from The Exorcist. Who was that? Mike Oldham?

Michael Oldfield. Good stuff.

John L Rice

Justin Ulysses Morse

initialsBB wrote:

Ah, but you must hear the flip side to that single, "Put the Bone In."
Even creepier.

Is that the same "put the bone in" covered by Soul Asylum as a bonus
track on the CD release of Hang Time?

"Put the bone in, she yelled at the store
Cuz my doggy's been hit by a car
And I do wanna bring him home somethin
Put the bone in she yelled out once more"
?

ulysses
Justin Ulysses Morse

How about "Art Lover" by the Kinks?

In article
, George
wrote:

In article .net,
"dt king" wrote:

"George" wrote in message

either Bloodrocks DOA or Go Away little Girl by????

You mean the one by Donnie Osmond?

dtk

yes but it was done by a older man before him
seems very "chester the molester"ish
kinda like "young girl" by gary puckett
george

Justin Ulysses Morse

S O'Neill wrote:

McArthur Park is melting in the dark.

That was my favorite song when I was 4. It's brilliant if you ask me.
Of course, I grew up on the Waylon Jennings version (his 2nd version,
actually) and didn't ever hear the Richard Harris or Donna Summer
version til many years later.

ulysses
S O'Neill

"Death Cab for Cutie", the Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band.

Kurt Riemann

Randy Newmans first album. "Lucinda". About a guy who falls in love with
dead body he finds on the beach. Another one more cool than creepy on the
same LP is "Burn Down The Cornfeild".

Patric

Lyle Lovett "Pontiac," with that ****ed up cello.

Also - the first song on Black Sabbath's first album, called,
coincidentally, Black Sabbath. I really wasn't ready for that. I heard
it again last year and have to admit it is the ****tiest recording on
the planet. but still creepy.

Kurt Riemann
Kurt Riemann

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:24:18 GMT, steve
wrote:

You forgot to mention "careful with that axe, eugene" And If I remember
correctly ".. grooving with a pict" was on umma-gumma studio lp, after
Sid left with a mangled brain. There were several earlier albums.

and the delightful "One Of These Days (I'm going to cut you into
little pieces" from Echoes.

Kurt Riemann

wrote:

You forgot to mention "careful with that axe, eugene" And If I remember
correctly ".. grooving with a pict" was on umma-gumma studio lp, after
Sid left with a mangled brain. There were several earlier albums.

Not only did I repost something already referred to, I got the album
wrong.

That alone PROVES I listed to too much Pink Floyd under the right
circumstances.

Kurt Riemann

Kurt Riemann

On 19 Nov 2003 11:38:15 -0500, "nmm" wrote:

Another one with a high creep factor is "Love Rollercoaster" by the "Ohio
Players".. because during the recording some girl got murdered in the next
room and there is one scream on the song that is supposedly her last (
Legend has it)

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.htm

John L Rice

"AweSpishus" wrote in message
om...
I know this is a little late, our being 2+ weeks hence Hallowee'en's
influence, but I'm wondering aloud here what peoples' creepiest faves
are. You know the song or songs make the hair on your arms stand on
end.

I just heard a tune by Ween called "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)"
that's a f*cking freak show. Worst of all, I cannot get the toy piano
riff they utilize (to great effect) out of my head...

Help!!!

I just thought, if we shared some of these musings we might be able
to exorcise the awful, awful sounds.

WoooOOooOooO.........!

: )

Awe

Warm Leatherette by The Normal is pretty creepy, or at least sick. I've
thought before that if I wasn't worried about the potential consequences it
would be a hoot to pick up hitch hikers while playing a loop of this song.
Don't say anything to them for a while and then start increasing the
vehicle's speed as you rock back and forth harder and harder to the beat.

Lyrics & copy; 1978 Daniel Miller and Mute Records

See the breaking glass
In the underpass
See the breaking glass
In the underpass

Warm leatherette

Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel
Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel

Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette

Warm leatherette
Melts on your burning flesh
You can see your reflection
In the luminescent dash

Warm leatherette

A tear of petrol
Is in your eye
The hand brake
Penetrates your thigh
Quick -- Let's make love
Before you die
On warm leatherette

Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette

Join the car crash set

And here's a tidbit from Ghosts by the Strawbs I've always thought was quite
creepy. Really great imagery.

THE LIFE AUCTION
(Cousins/Hawken/Lambert)
Part a) Impressions Of Southall From The Train

Row upon row
Of drab colourless houses
Bowing low
Before high rise blocks

Varicosed housewives
With sweaty armpits
Scrimping and scrubbing
Their husbands' socks

A limp polluted flag
Flutters sadly in its death throes
While crippled trees in leg irons
Wearily haul themselves
Through another diluted acid day.

Here's a mp3 I'll put up for a short time. This is just the one minute
introduction to the whole song. ( 2.32 megs )
http://www.imjohn.com/sounds/Strawbs...ifeAuction.mp3

John L Rice

Mark Steven Brooks

anything by Jandek

I second that.

Also anything by Charles Manson (he has 4 albums out I believe).

Actually, one of the creepiest songs ever is 'Mind Flowers' off the 2nd
Ultimate Spinach album. The original vinyl version especially.

"...I am falling into the quicksand of my troubled mind..."
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
initialsBB

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote in message om...
Is that the same "put the bone in" covered by Soul Asylum as a bonus
track on the CD release of Hang Time?

"Put the bone in, she yelled at the store
Cuz my doggy's been hit by a car
And I do wanna bring him home somethin
Put the bone in she yelled out once more"

I'm not sure but that sounds similar. I was looking for the Terry
Jacks lyrics on the web to link to but couldn't find them. The
creepiness is largely in the delivery but also the fact that the song
is presumably about bringing home a bone for a dog but has the
repeated line "Put the bone in....She begged him...once more." Oh,
also the line "oh the meat....on the bone....is sweet."

Another creepy classic is the 1st White Noise album "An Electric
Storm" with the very creepy tracks "The Visitation" about a lover
killed in a car crash and "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm in Hell"
which is pretty much what it sounds like.

Delia Derbyshire, one of the masterminds behind White Noise and the
BBC Radiophonic Workshop (Dr. Who theme, etc.) also did the music for
a very creepy hit song that was sung/narrated by an old guy standing
on the street corner ogling the girls. But for the life of me I can't
think of the name of the song or the singer. Any ideas?
Neil Henderson

Also, there was a song back in the
early 80's called Lunatic Fringe which was rather disturbing.

OK, Deej, you've had enough... time to turn off the tap & cut you off if you
think 'Lunatic Fringe' was disturbing! LOL That song was kinda mellow, IMO.

As a sidebar, I'd like to point out that that song was done by "Red Rider"
featuring Tom Cochrane, and if you remember "Life is a Highway" in like '92 or
thereabouts, you'll realize it's (melodically, anyway) damn near the SAME EXACT
****ING SONG but just 20 years later (which is, admittedly, a pretty good
trick, if you can pull it off). So... not really "creepy", per se', but maybe
disturbing that the same damn song can be reworked with different lyrics two
decades later by the same artist and, BAM!

Mega-hit #2 and a condo in Toronto.

Sing both songs with me now... a-one and a-two:
"Lunatic Friiinge... we all know you're out there"
"Life is a Higway... I wanna ride it all night long"

See what I mean?

NeilH
nmm

wrote:

Another one with a high creep factor is "Love

Rollercoaster" by the "Ohio
Players".. because during the recording some girl got

murdered in the next
room and there is one scream on the song that is

supposedly her last (
Legend has it)

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.htm

Damm debunking the urban legends... OH well when you hear it it's "Creepy"

nmm

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 1:24 AM, Mark Steven Brooks
wrote:
anything by Jandek

I second that.

Also anything by Charles Manson (he has 4 albums out I
believe).

Actually, one of the creepiest songs ever is 'Mind Flowers'
off the 2nd
Ultimate Spinach album. The original vinyl version
especially.

Wow .. I didn't know people knew about the Ultimate Spinach outside of
Boston.

Are the four Manson albums available anywhere these days?

Justin Ulysses Morse

initialsBB wrote:

I'm not sure but that sounds similar. I was looking for the Terry
Jacks lyrics on the web to link to but couldn't find them. The
creepiness is largely in the delivery but also the fact that the song
is presumably about bringing home a bone for a dog but has the
repeated line "Put the bone in....She begged him...once more." Oh,
also the line "oh the meat....on the bone....is sweet."

Yeah, that's the same song but I don't see anything creepy about it.
Certainly lascivious and a bit off-color, but there's nothing wrong
with that.

ulysses
Slim

That's on Ummagumma I think. Right Pink Floyd did some creepy ones. I was
thinking of "Sheep" from Animals, especially the moment whent the high
pitched voice says the prayer/psalm.
Slim

"DJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news.com...
[...]

Johnston West

"John L Rice" wrote in message

Warm Leatherette by The Normal is pretty creepy, or at least sick.

Yeah that one always creeped me out.

'The End' by the Doors is pretty haunting too...... with or without Martin Sheen.