Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Encoding MP3s to "self destruct": Does such a technique exist?

On Monday, July 30, 2012 4:06:28 PM UTC-4, John On Friday, July 20, 2012 4:02:21 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:

--

Tciao for Now!

John.

_____________________

John:

Repl Monitor finally arrived! Below is transcript of attempt to run chkdsk /f:

# # #

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32net user administrator /active yes

The command completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32chkdisk /f

'chkdisk' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Hardly surprising when you typed the command wrongly. :-)

C:\Windows\system32chkdsk /f

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk needs to lock the HD while it's running, and can't do this if

Windows is also running.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

What happened when you typed in "Y" and rebooted?

--

Tciao for Now!

John.

____________________

John:

Right-clicked the C: drive and followed your instructions.

Some of the items returned:
"Some Problems Were Found And fixed"

"0 bad file records processed."

"0 EA records processed" (whatever EA means)

"61 reparse records processed"

"Windows found problems with the file system Run chkdsk with the /f fix option to correct these"

End of quotes from windows.

I wish it would tell me specifically what the errors were before I elected to use /f!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mark lewis[_2_] mark lewis[_2_] is offline

tg Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
tg process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
tg checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

did you answer Yes or No? Yes would be the proper answer followed by a reboot

--
| Remove .my.foot for email
| via Waldo's Place USA Fidonet-Internet Gateway Site
| Waldo's Place USA 919-774-5930 telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Frank is offline

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:24:06 -0700 (PDT), in 'rec.audio.pro',
in article Encoding MP3s to "self destruct": Does such a
technique exist?,
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, Chris, but it's always been that way.

Please run chkdsk /f again from a command prompt and this time reply Y
so that it will run on the next boot, which you can do right away as
long as you aren't in the middle of something important that needs to
be finished first.

It will not take long to run, perhaps a minute or two. When it's
complete, your system will automatically reboot.

You'll find the output from the chkdsk /f command in one of the system
log files (unless this has changed in Vista).

Please note that chkdsk /f will only check for (and fix) logical
errors on the partition. To check for physical errors requires running
chkdsk /r at a command prompt, which may take hours.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:19:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:

__________________
July 31:

Just a GENERAL UPDATE on the condition of my hard drive.

My HP Pavilion's Hardware diagnostics app deployed as it does every month and found zero problems with item including but not limited to:

"Hard Drive: Random Tests, funnel tests, surface scans, SMART tests

NVIDIA Video driver Network cable, TCP/IP

CMOS Checksum, Pattern test

Pentium Cache, register tests, CCU, multicore all ok"

So I honestly think we can rule out the hard-drive and hardware.

I'm beginning to feel that the focus is on two areas: Windows Media Player(I looked for updates and MS says mine is the latest and all updates installed), and "free" mp3 sites.

I no longer use limewire(ran it from late 2008 for about a year. BeeMP3 and such sites are drying up anyhow, so I no longer bother with them.

I've made CD-R backups of mp3s from on-line resources and have my CD collection as the ultimate backup of the rest of them.

So the best thing I can say to you folks is: STAY AWAY from "free" sites: you might also be downloading a major headache. Go Amazon, iTunes, be straight!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doug McDonald[_6_] Doug McDonald[_6_] is offline

Have you done a complete, full, scan with Malwarebytes?
That's probably the most important thing to do.

My prediction: it won't find the problem.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote in message
So the best thing I can say to you folks is: STAY AWAY from "free" sites:
you might also be downloading a major headache. Go Amazon, iTunes, be
straight!

In fact your less likely to have problems with mp3's from "free" sites than
ones that impose any sort of DRM.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor:

In fact your less likely to have problems with mp3's from "free" sites than
ones that impose any sort of DRM.

Trevor.

_____
Now that's something you'll NEVER get me on board! Maybe no drm, but God knows WHAT ELSE. No thanks! Besides, such sites will likely be extinct by mid-decade.

Rip your own CDs, record from cassettes & vinyl, or purchase from the major sites. That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it!

-ChrisCoaster

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
wrote in message
So the best thing I can say to you folks is: STAY AWAY from "free" sites:
you might also be downloading a major headache. Go Amazon, iTunes, be
straight!

In fact your less likely to have problems with mp3's from "free" sites than
ones that impose any sort of DRM.

What sort of DRM have you seen on mp3 files?

I ask because as far as I'm aware, it's a DRM free format at the moment,
and there's no provision for DRM in the specification.

I did get caught out by HMV selling me a couple of WMA files which I
couldn't play back after they closed down their licence server, but
that's a different kettle of fish. Still, some generous person had put
them up on Youtube, so I can still listen to them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Trevor wrote:
wrote in message
So the best thing I can say to you folks is: STAY AWAY from "free"
sites: you might also be downloading a major headache. Go Amazon,
iTunes, be straight!

In fact your less likely to have problems with mp3's from "free" sites
than ones that impose any sort of DRM.

What sort of DRM have you seen on mp3 files?

I ask because as far as I'm aware, it's a DRM free format at the moment,
and there's no provision for DRM in the specification.

I did get caught out by HMV selling me a couple of WMA files which I
couldn't play back after they closed down their licence server, but that's
a different kettle of fish. Still, some generous person had put them up on
Youtube, so I can still listen to them.

Yes, I wasn't thinking of mp3 only since iTunes was mentioned. Beware what
YouTube does to sound quality however.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote:-
I did get caught out by HMV selling me a couple of WMA files which I
couldn't play back after they closed down their licence server, but that's
a different kettle of fish. Still, some generous person had put them up on
Youtube, so I can still listen to them.

Yes, I wasn't thinking of mp3 only since iTunes was mentioned. Beware what
YouTube does to sound quality however.

Ah, right you are. No DRM on mp3, then. As for YouBend, I know what it
does to audio quality, but as these are recordings of singing with a
piano from the 1940s, I'm not too worried about the quality.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Reply to John Williamson:

You have to be really really really naive to believe that MP3 cannot be DRMd:

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic41322-0-asc-10.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_MP3

By implication that it sells drm free it means that drm mp3 exists!

That's why I'm staying away from free sites because you don't know what CRAP is being packaged with those mp3s! **

My problem is solved - It's a combination of free mp3s and my Windows media player. *I've already posted my solution; I'm staying safe!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

wrote in message
Reply to John Williamson:

You have to be really really really naive to believe that MP3 cannot be
DRMd:

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic41322-0-asc-10.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_MP3

By implication that it sells drm free it means that drm mp3 exists!

That's why I'm staying away from free sites because you don't know what
CRAP is being packaged with those mp3s!

My problem is solved - It's a combination of free mp3s and my Windows
media player. I've already posted my solution; I'm staying safe!

So you don't really know what actually caused the problem, you
don't really understand how it was solved, and you haven't a clue
how to prevent it from happening in the future. An exercise in
blissful ignorance.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W[_3_] Phil W[_3_] is offline

"None":
wrote in message

That's why I'm staying away from free sites because you don't know what
CRAP is being packaged with those mp3s!

My problem is solved - It's a combination of free mp3s and my Windows
media player. I've already posted my solution; I'm staying safe!

Just stay away from everything, that you obviously have no clue about.
Thatīs safer for everybody - even those, who are not involved.
My "collection" of MP3s is mainly from free legal sources, such as band
websites and similar sources. Since 2000 I have not once experienced any of
the problems, that you tried to describe - using various versions of Windows
and WMP (thatīs Windows Media Player).

So you don't really know what actually caused the problem, you
don't really understand how it was solved, and you haven't a clue
how to prevent it from happening in the future. An exercise in
blissful ignorance.

Just one more evidence, that brain usage and simple logic is too complicated
for certain people...
Nothing more, nothing less.

So, PLEASE stop spamming this group!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:49:14 AM UTC-4, Phil W wrote:

Just one more evidence, that brain usage and simple logic is too complicated

for certain people...

Nothing more, nothing less.

So, thekmanmail.com PLEASE stop spamming this group!

_____________

I PRAY, I sincerely do, that YOU have a unique problem that no one has ever heard of and someone says the exact words, above, that you wrote to me. Just so you know how it feels.

You wouldn't know Spam if it fell off a truck and brained you!

Amen!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

UPDATE:

Well a week has gone by and the amount of "truncations" has decreased.

One thing I still notice occasionally is that *something*(iTunes? Windows?) is changing the 'Year' tag on some of my songs! Year is a tag accessible by about any PC or Mac-based player, so I don't know at what point its being changed. I E: A song that came out in 1980 is suddenly 1979.

Gen Formerly "Classic Rock" Now "Unknown"(as: empty field!)

Hopefully these are just minor hauntings of those free mp3s.

Otherwise, my collection seems relatively solid.

Thanks to all who provided thoughtful tips and helpful advice - on here and in private!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Was listening to a Tech Guys podcast this morning about
types of audio files.

And they mentioned DRM and how it could be applied to *au
and *m4a formats, among others. *

In those cases, the DRM tag allowed the file to be played
only so many times before it disappeared from the device.

Then I got to thinking: *That some of the "mp3"s in my music
collection(the ones that either became truncated or went missing)
might not have been mp3s in the first place! * All someone likely
did before uploading the file to Beemp3 or whatever free site was
to save the file name with the filetype .mp3 on the end, even
though it was NOT actually a mp3 format sound file. *It sure
must have fooled my system!

It's too late now to sort my collection by filetype(everything's
either been run through mp3Val or the truncated files have
been replaced), and I actually havent had a mp3 truncate or
go mia since my last update to this thread.

Incidentally: My harddrive and registry are in fine shape, and
there is no malware on my PC. *So if anyone still wants to
insist it is something wrong with the PC they are more than
welcome to - but they might as well be talking to themselves
in a mirror. *