MarkZimmerman

Default Bose vs Cerwin Vega & Bang and Olafsen (sp) speakers

Right now I have a friend who wants to sell his speakers to get some Bose as
they are Tre Gay! Right now he has 2 pair of speakers, one pair of Cerwin Vega
CV-SE Series. And the other a pair of Bang and Olafsen (sp?) RL60.2 - Type
6513. Of the two pair that he has which is the better and what do you think he
could get for them if he wants to sell them? Also, how good are the Bose
compared to these? He thinks the ones he has now are too big for his condo,
but I've been there and he does have a large living room, it's just that he's
so into style. HELP!
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
Rakesh Vidyadharan

MarkZimmerman wrote:
Right now I have a friend who wants to sell his speakers to get some Bose as
they are Tre Gay! Right now he has 2 pair of speakers, one pair of Cerwin Vega
CV-SE Series. And the other a pair of Bang and Olafsen (sp?) RL60.2 - Type
6513. Of the two pair that he has which is the better and what do you think he
could get for them if he wants to sell them? Also, how good are the Bose
compared to these? He thinks the ones he has now are too big for his condo,
but I've been there and he does have a large living room, it's just that he's
so into style. HELP!
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

I have not listened to too many Bose's or B&O's. However, based on my
limited experience B&O is much better than Bose sound-wise (in fact, I
do not think it is fair to compare them), and B&O's have much better
styling IMHO.

Rakesh
Stewart Pinkerton

On 9 Nov 2004 00:51:18 GMT, Rakesh Vidyadharan
wrote:

MarkZimmerman wrote:
[...]

If it is a matter of style, then B&O are quite incomparable, whereas
Bose are flashy and trashy. Additionally, B&O make some of the finest
hi-fi components around, their 'Dalek' styled Lab 5 speakers being
remarkable devices even by the highest of high-end standards.

Joseph Oberlander

Nousaine wrote:

Of course, you jest. I've used and measured both of these manufacturers
products and the complaints you make about Bose are as well represented by the
alternate manufacturer you nominate.

Maybe a bit, afterall it is Nousaine (grin), but Compared to a nice
pair or KEF or Tannoy (higher-end)speakers, it's no comparison
which sounds better.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 11 Nov 2004 00:37:54 GMT, "John Matheson"
wrote:

About B&O Lab 5 speakers:

Are you sure you've listened to them? I have and I couldn't again thaey are
that bad. Really, they are BAD.

To have formed such an opinion, something must have been seriously
wrong with the setup. They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

UnionPac2004

(Nousaine) wrote:

Jeff (Jeff) wrote:

(MarkZimmerman) wrote in message
Right now I have a friend who wants to sell his speakers to get some Bose

as
they are Tre Gay! Right now he has 2 pair of speakers, one pair of Cerwin

Vega
CV-SE Series. And the other a pair of Bang and Olafsen (sp?) RL60.2 - Type
6513. Of the two pair that he has which is the better and what do you

think he
could get for them if he wants to sell them? Also, how good are the Bose
compared to these? He thinks the ones he has now are too big for his

condo,
but I've been there and he does have a large living room, it's just that

he's
so into style. HELP!
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Does this guy purposely hunt for cr*p? Have never heard that
particular model of B&O speakers, but they'd almost have to have a
more refined presentation than anything made by Cerwin-Vega (and I own
some), IMO. As for Bose, this newsgroup is rec.audio.high-end, NOT
rec.audio.hype, or rec.audio.high-priced.
If he wants something small and stylish, Gallo Acoustics might be a
good choice. As for the prices he could expect to get for either pair
of his current speakers, your best bet would be a "completed items"
search on ebay for each model.

Jeff

Of course, you jest. I've used and measured both of these manufacturers
products and the complaints you make about Bose are as well represented by
the
alternate manufacturer you nominate.

Hi Tom,

I never claimed they sounded great. : )
I merely pointed out that they were small and stylish, apparently a major
factor in the purchasing decision.

Jeff (1shado1)
Bob Marcus

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...
On 11 Nov 2004 00:37:54 GMT, "John Matheson"
wrote:

About B&O Lab 5 speakers:

Are you sure you've listened to them? I have and I couldn't again thaey are
that bad. Really, they are BAD.

To have formed such an opinion, something must have been seriously
wrong with the setup.

Or perhaps you two simply have different preferences. No one of us is
a reference standard.

bob
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 11 Nov 2004 00:37:54 GMT, "John Matheson"
wrote:

About B&O Lab 5 speakers:

Are you sure you've listened to them? I have and I couldn't again thaey
are
that bad. Really, they are BAD.

To have formed such an opinion, something must have been seriously
wrong with the setup. They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

And what are the other four? Just to put things in perspective. I might be
able to get a like new pair for about half that price or less. Those were
traded for MBL 111's which aren't all that great, especially in the bass.

Margaret

Stewart Pinkerton

On 20 Nov 2004 15:47:08 GMT, "Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 11 Nov 2004 00:37:54 GMT, "John Matheson"
wrote:

About B&O Lab 5 speakers:

Are you sure you've listened to them? I have and I couldn't again thaey
are
that bad. Really, they are BAD.

To have formed such an opinion, something must have been seriously
wrong with the setup. They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

And what are the other four? Just to put things in perspective. I might be
able to get a like new pair for about half that price or less. Those were
traded for MBL 111's which aren't all that great, especially in the bass.

JMLab Utopia, B&W N800, Apogee Diva and Avalon Eidolon. Of course,
there are lots of excellent speakers I have *not* heard..........

:-)

wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 11 Nov 2004 00:37:54 GMT, "John Matheson"
wrote:

About B&O Lab 5 speakers:

Are you sure you've listened to them? I have and I couldn't again thaey
are
that bad. Really, they are BAD.

To have formed such an opinion, something must have been seriously
wrong with the setup. They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

And what are the other four? Just to put things in perspective. I might be
able to get a like new pair for about half that price or less. Those were
traded for MBL 111's which aren't all that great, especially in the bass.

JMLab Utopia, B&W N800, Apogee Diva and Avalon Eidolon. Of course,
there are lots of excellent speakers I have *not* heard..........

:-)

That is a formidable group of loudspeakers. It kind of makes me sad Apogee
got there so long before the others. Well the Divas are big though. I know a
pair driven by a battery of Krell MDA-500's. If you haven't already done so,
you should make an effort to hear the Talon Firebirds and Rockport Antares.
I'm tempted to include the Avantgarde Trios with the Basshorns too, but I'm
hugely partial :-)

But I'll definitely try to swing a deal on those used B&O's. I have a weird
space in need of great music. Hopefully the Lab 5's DSP and overall design
will compensate for the anomalies I get with traditional speakers. I might
even get the one-in-all wall-hanging 6 disc source component to drive
them...

Cheers,

Margaret

Stewart Pinkerton

On 21 Nov 2004 16:05:30 GMT, "Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt"
wrote:

I'm tempted to include the Avantgarde Trios with the Basshorns too, but I'm
hugely partial :-)

I've heard the Duo, very dynamic but poor imaging IMHO.

But I'll definitely try to swing a deal on those used B&O's. I have a weird
space in need of great music. Hopefully the Lab 5's DSP and overall design
will compensate for the anomalies I get with traditional speakers. I might
even get the one-in-all wall-hanging 6 disc source component to drive
them...

Cool piece of kit, isn't it? :-)

Tat Chan

wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

And what are the other four? Just to put things in perspective. I might be
able to get a like new pair for about half that price or less. Those were
traded for MBL 111's which aren't all that great, especially in the bass.

JMLab Utopia, B&W N800, Apogee Diva and Avalon Eidolon. Of course,
there are lots of excellent speakers I have *not* heard..........

The Quad ESL-63/988/989 and Yamaha NS-1000M don't make your top 5?

wrote:

I'm tempted to include the Avantgarde Trios with the Basshorns too, but
I'm
hugely partial :-)

I've heard the Duo, very dynamic but poor imaging IMHO.

It is definitely the Achilles heel of the line. However, rather good imaging
is possible from this design with the following:

1. very large room with 12 foot ceilings (or more) that allows speaker
placement away from side and front walls, 5-6 feet, in my experience
2. addition of a good subwoofer, preferably the Avantgarde Subhorns, but
Martin-Logan and Talon work well too

Given the above placement and the size of the system the room needs to be
REALLY large. OTOH the Trios have absolutely no problem filling it with
music :-)
I don't know what subwoofer has to do with imaging, but in this case it is
at least as important as placement. There is a huge difference, IME.

Unfortunately most Avantgarde installations I've encountered have not met
the prerequisites above and have sounded less than thrilling. Most people
appear to think it is a corner horn :-(
In fact, based on two show demos, I thought these speakers were a joke until
I heard a properly installed pair in Germany. And bought them!

But all that said, they are still no Avalon Eidolons when it comes to
imaging!

--

Sometimes cool is exactly what the doctor, er, interior decorator ordered!

Cheers,

Margaret

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

They are among the best five speakers I have
*ever* heard, and pretty much a bargain at £10k.

And what are the other four? Just to put things in perspective. I might be
able to get a like new pair for about half that price or less. Those were
traded for MBL 111's which aren't all that great, especially in the bass.

JMLab Utopia, B&W N800, Apogee Diva and Avalon Eidolon. Of course,
there are lots of excellent speakers I have *not* heard..........

The Quad ESL-63/988/989 and Yamaha NS-1000M don't make your top 5?

No, and I've owned both of them. While classic speakers in their own
right, the ESL-63 has somewhat 'beamy' treble, and can't play at
realistic levels (although the 989 is better in this regard), while
the Yamaha is superbly dynamic and exciting, but a little ragged at
the top end - a sheet of Kleenex over the tweeter is quite effective,
but that and some noticeable 'boxiness' are enough to exclude it.
Neither of those compare to my current Apogee Duetta Signatures, and
the Diva is better than those.

Tat Chan

wrote:

The Quad ESL-63/988/989 and Yamaha NS-1000M don't make your top 5?

No, and I've owned both of them. While classic speakers in their own
right, the ESL-63 has somewhat 'beamy' treble, and can't play at
realistic levels (although the 989 is better in this regard),

well, not everyone wants the sound levels of a full blown orchestra in
their listening room (neighbours, spouse, etc)!

Having said that, my stereo setup is compromised at the moment, as I do
not have the space (and resources!) for a separate home theatre and
music setup. As such, my music system also serves as the audio equipment
for watching DVDs in 2 channel mode.

I don't think the Quads would do well as the front channels in a home
theatre setup (and it would be sacrilegious, wouldn't it?)

while
the Yamaha is superbly dynamic and exciting,

Sounds like it will fit well into my current setup. I take it the Yamaha
plays rock music well?

but a little ragged at the top end - a sheet of Kleenex over the
tweeter is quite effective,

it doesn't come with speaker grilles?

but that and some noticeable 'boxiness'
are enough to exclude it.

it is after all a box speaker!

Neither of those compare to my current Apogee Duetta Signatures, and
the Diva is better than those.

The Quad ESLs regularly get mentioned in "Hall of Fames" and as bits of
"Classic Audio Equipment". I haven't seen much press for Apogee (though
they have stopped making speakers).