Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

Old February 11th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.

The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary V
Old February 12th 20, 01:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 12:08:19 PM UTC-8, Don Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 10:02:49 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
> >I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.
> >
> >The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Gary V

> Find something of the right mechanical size here. Digikey are a good
> supplier

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/e...=1&pageSize=25

Thanks Don. I've been playing with the various filtering options and perhaps narrowed it down somewhat. Although I'm not that familiar with the various mounting techniques. How would I narrow the selection to 2 wires that you solder and clip? Mostly I see these snap on type capacitors. Thanks.
Old February 12th 20, 04:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

>>> I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>>>
>>> The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Gary V

>> Find something of the right mechanical size here. Digikey are a good
>> supplier

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/e...=1&pageSize=25

> Thanks Don. I've been playing with the various filtering options and perhaps narrowed it down somewhat. Although I'm not that familiar with the various mounting techniques. How would I narrow the selection to 2 wires that you solder and clip? Mostly I see these snap on type capacitors. Thanks.

You won't get 'wires' for this size cap. Select "Snap-on" and your other
criteria (capacitance, voltage, and size) and Bob's your uncle.

Old February 12th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which start=
>ed making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed o=
>ne of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on=
> a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice fro=
>m this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>
>The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is =
>for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type whic=
>h would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locat=
>e a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Digikey filters are great. Use the pin spacing, and look for something
rated for 105C from Panasonic. Make sure the outside diameter and length
aren't so much larger that it doesn't fit, but nobody can do that for you
without seeing the board. Always specify "in stock" in the search as well.

Initially when Digikey opened up, Panasonic was the only capacitor
manufacturer that they carried, so I just got in the habit of using them
from Digi-Key. Other vendors are fine but I tend to buy Panasonic all other
things being equal.

Old February 12th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On 12 Feb 2020 12:01:53 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> > wrote:
>>I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which start=
>>ed making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed o=
>>ne of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on=
>> a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice fro=
>>m this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>>
>>The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is =
>>for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type whic=
>>h would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locat=
>>e a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Digikey filters are great. Use the pin spacing, and look for something
>rated for 105C from Panasonic. Make sure the outside diameter and length
>aren't so much larger that it doesn't fit, but nobody can do that for you
>without seeing the board. Always specify "in stock" in the search as well.
>
>Initially when Digikey opened up, Panasonic was the only capacitor
>manufacturer that they carried, so I just got in the habit of using them
>from Digi-Key. Other vendors are fine but I tend to buy Panasonic all other
>things being equal.
>--scott

I did a long-life stress test on electrolytics a few years back.
Panasonic, Rubycon and Nichicon were the top of the heap, with not
much to choose between them. The 105C rating is a good idea.

Old February 12th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/02/2020 6:03 am, Don Pearce wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2020 12:01:53 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> > wrote:
>>> I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which start=
>>> ed making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed o=
>>> ne of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on=
>>> a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice fro=
>>> m this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>>>
>>> The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is =
>>> for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type whic=
>>> h would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locat=
>>> e a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> Digikey filters are great. Use the pin spacing, and look for something
>> rated for 105C from Panasonic. Make sure the outside diameter and length
>> aren't so much larger that it doesn't fit, but nobody can do that for you
>> without seeing the board. Always specify "in stock" in the search as well.
>>
>> Initially when Digikey opened up, Panasonic was the only capacitor
>> manufacturer that they carried, so I just got in the habit of using them
>>from Digi-Key. Other vendors are fine but I tend to buy Panasonic all other
>> things being equal.
>> --scott

> I did a long-life stress test on electrolytics a few years back.
> Panasonic, Rubycon and Nichicon were the top of the heap, with not
> much to choose between them. The 105C rating is a good idea.

I only use 105°C in active speakers, or pretty much anywhere else come
to think of it. Have seen so many 85°C dead in places where you would
expect them to be OK.

Old February 13th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:53:59 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:

> >> Digikey filters are great. Use the pin spacing, and look for something
> >> rated for 105C from Panasonic. Make sure the outside diameter and length
> >> aren't so much larger that it doesn't fit, but nobody can do that for you
> >> without seeing the board. Always specify "in stock" in the search as well.
> >>
> >> Initially when Digikey opened up, Panasonic was the only capacitor
> >> manufacturer that they carried, so I just got in the habit of using them
> >>from Digi-Key. Other vendors are fine but I tend to buy Panasonic all other
> >> things being equal.
> >> --scott

> > I did a long-life stress test on electrolytics a few years back.
> > Panasonic, Rubycon and Nichicon were the top of the heap, with not
> > much to choose between them. The 105C rating is a good idea.

> I only use 105°C in active speakers, or pretty much anywhere else come
> to think of it. Have seen so many 85°C dead in places where you would
> expect them to be OK.
>
> geoff

The Rubicon is 85°C. Perhaps this is timely upgrade. These Event speakers aren't my main monitors but I use them often enough. I like the convenience of a self-powered speaker. My main monitors are older still...
Old February 14th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 5:34:26 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:53:59 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:

> > > I did a long-life stress test on electrolytics a few years back.
> > > Panasonic, Rubycon and Nichicon were the top of the heap, with not
> > > much to choose between them. The 105C rating is a good idea.

> > I only use 105°C in active speakers, or pretty much anywhere else come
> > to think of it. Have seen so many 85°C dead in places where you would
> > expect them to be OK.
> >
> > geoff

> The Rubicon is 85°C. Perhaps this is timely upgrade. These Event speakers aren't my main monitors but I use them often enough. I like the convenience of a self-powered speaker. My main monitors are older still...

Scott's right about the 'in-stock' search keyword. I wasn't paying attention to this initially, but it certainly made it simpler for somebody looking for merely 4 capacitors. Here is what I ordered:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...s=493-13365-ND

Thanks as always. Great group.
Old February 14th 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hardy

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>> I only use 105°C in active speakers, or pretty much anywhere else come
>>> to think of it. Have seen so many 85°C dead in places where you would
>>> expect them to be OK.
>>>
>>> geoff

>> The Rubicon is 85°C. Perhaps this is timely upgrade. These Event speakers aren't my main monitors but I use them often enough. I like the convenience of a self-powered speaker. My main monitors are older still...

> Scott's right about the 'in-stock' search keyword. I wasn't paying attention to this initially, but it certainly made it simpler for somebody looking for merely 4 capacitors. Here is what I ordered:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...s=493-13365-ND

> Thanks as always. Great group.

"Lifetime @ Temp.: 1000 Hrs @ 85°C"

That is the shortest life rating at the lowest temperature I've ever seen!

John Hardy