Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default Another value knock down on studios

This might be old news to a lot of you but there is a dorky little
program that has really become quite good. The problem with it is that
it is going to really kill the small demo studio market. Has anyone
checked out the "real tracks" Band in a box? The samples I heard were
actually better then most people do in their well equipped home
studios and certainly more then most $300 demos offer.

I keep running across things that kill the value of recording studios
and musicianship which of course kills creative new music and the
value of the finished product. I'm pretty sure that a musician will
soon again be the low totem on the poll again like we were a few
centuries ago.

I bugged out a few years back when I had a residual check so small I
couldn't buy a burger with it. I've been a part time and for fun music
guy since but I feel like the art of music is near gone. What are the
deep in debt studios doing to stay afloat these days and is there
anything that can be done to bring back this dying industry?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in message
This might be old news to a lot of you but there is a dorky little
program that has really become quite good. The problem with it is that
it is going to really kill the small demo studio market. Has anyone
checked out the "real tracks" Band in a box? The samples I heard were
actually better then most people do in their well equipped home
studios and certainly more then most $300 demos offer.

I tend to look at this as more of a teaching tool than an alternate to
recording in a studio.
My cousin is one of the top teachers in my state and uses BIAB to make
students more comfortable playing in a band setting.
One woman is in her late 60's and has gotten pretty darn good at the
standards and some bebop and is now looking to gig out.

OTOH, If they start making 'hit' recordings with this, we're up sh*t's creek
without a paddle

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Apr 28, 10:12*am, "polymod" wrote:
"Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~" wrote in ...

[...]

I listened to a mess of their demos last night and I can tell you
that the real band stuff they have out now is really good. I think
that for the sake of a songwriter needing tracks, this would cover
them almost perfectly and with a little cut and paste, there is little
that a songwriter couldn't do with this.

As for releasing hit songs, I don't think that will happen but as for
the small studio/ demo producer, I think they are up $#^t creak now.
It's been hard for them to start with but now, with this, its bad.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.demos.htm
This is their link to a mess of demos they have up. The samples given
are coming internet compressed of course but they have full dose aiff
files on their best setup offer. Check out the smoothness of what you
get for a few bucks. If I were a songwriter and knew anything at all
about backing tracks, I'd go with this sucker and forego any cash
outlay for a studio. Vocalists are almost safe but with autotune and
all the tricks out for that, ... well, it sucks to be in the studio
biz these days to say the least.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

[...]

BiaB has been a heavy hitter in its own way for a long time. When I was
regularly recording other folks, instead of fearing it, I used it to
help them get their ideas together, to assemble backing bands for them
to play along with, and so forth. I didn't use anything from it for
finished recordings, but it was much easier for many folks to play along
with the faux ensemble than to try to sync with a click track.

It's also a really handy way for a writer/composer to outline
arranngements.

It's just another tool. These days the job is about skills and ideas.
One can take advantage of many fine tools for little money, and let
one's skills differentiate oneself from the rest of the crowd. Or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
[...]

BIAB has been around for decade(s) and has yet to kill of real musicians.
I'm sure it is getting better and better though.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Apr 28, 3:28*pm, "geoff" wrote:

[...]

yeah- check out the demos on that link post 3. I've known about them
for decades too but this is a major step and much different.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) wrote:

[...]

+1.

I didn't use anything from it for
finished recordings, but it was much easier for many folks to play along
with the faux ensemble than to try to sync with a click track.

It's also a really handy way for a writer/composer to outline
arranngements.

Yep. I still run into writers who need a lot of help
with arranging - they just don't know it.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
[...]

"Real" musicians stand to benefit most from BiaB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Apr 29, 1:48*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
geoff wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
[...]

When the local up and coming guys that would otherwise have taken
local demo sessions lose out to a software program, I think those real
musicians lose. But, I'd love to hear your take on how "real"
musicians benefit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
[...]

I write a song. I live next to the middle of nowhere. I hit BiaB and lay
out my idea pronto. Shortly I have a cogent arrangement that I can carry
in my head to share with pickers.

I don't have to deal with local "up and coing guys". I don't have to
spend the time it'd take me to get them on my channel. I don't have time
to puposely get together with my good picking pals hereabouts. We get
together when we can, but this ain't a city.

A bunch of **** that used to happen is over now. That's the way it's
always been. The dinosaurs are mostly gone. Mammals took over, sort of.
Adapt or go extinct. Mammals will face that soon, too. If they blow it,
back to bacteria and stuff like that.

A new version of Final Cut Pro is about to hit. It has been rewritten
hugely. V. 1 shocked the world of video editing. The new version,
according to a friend who makea his living editing long form video, will
offer a greatly improved workflow, while dropping the price of almost a
grand to two hundred bucks. I asekd him if he felt threatened by this.

He replied that he'd been dealing with the democratization of his world
for a long time, and that it wasn't about the hammer. It was about the
carpenter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

geoff wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
[...]

shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...withDougHarman

Right - You agree with me, that it will wipe out some musicians but
don't think that is a bad thing. You are certainly entitled to that
thought and in some ways you're on spot with how I feel about many of
the musicians I meet too.

I see biab and some of these other things as subtracting from the
value of music and musicianship because. The end user will except low
end recordings as good enough so you know biab will be on the radio in
no time. The narcissistic musician might tell himself that there will
always be a market for good music but the realist sees the market as
diluted and shrinking. There is no substitute for competition but
there is no cure for lack of market.

Biab takes no skin off of my back and biab can only help me to do what
I do, same as you. The thing is, I'm thinking more universal then just
myself. I'm not hurting for next months rent or a new guitar with all
6 strings. I'm thinking of art down the line. I'm thinking about the
quality of music 20 years from now when this sort of tech has killed
of the middle levels of music and no one cares to hear good music
anymore. I know that somewhere around 1983, those keyboards came out
with memory and various auto play modes and within a few years, no new
piano players were being born. I hardly practice anymore and people
think I'm great these days because my fingers actually work on both
hands.

Midi came out and most horn players and string players lost their jobs
overnight. Biab is the same thing for the small studio owner. I'm not
avoiding the future and I like the toys. I don't think you can stop
development nor would I want to. My statement about biab is that it is
actually, truly amazing but there are going to be repercussions in
music that are going to be very negative to the art from.

As a supporter of music, I do suggest we all promote anyone with any
talent whenever we can.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

I see biab and some of these other things as subtracting from the
value of music and musicianship because. The end user will except low
end recordings as good enough so you know biab will be on the radio in
no time.

Danny, BiaB has been around for over a decade. It's a superb study and
learning and practice tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/30/2011 1:09 AM, Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

Right - You agree with me, that it [Band In a Box] will wipe out some musicians but
don't think that is a bad thing.

No, I don't think that Hand believes that it will wipe out
musicians. It will save him from spending time with
musicians who aren't good enough, or aren't easily enough
accessible, for him to work with while in the songwriting
and arranging process.

Well, I think the original message Danny made was saying this was going
to kill the demo studio market.

And.... the honest truth is.... Band In a Box has been out for about ten
years now. And, consequently or not, I haven't seen a demo studio for
about ten years now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Apr 30, 3:02*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

I see biab and some of these other things as subtracting from the
value of music and musicianship because. The end user will except low
end recordings as good enough so you know biab will be on the radio in
no time.

Danny, BiaB has been around for over a decade. It's a superb study and
learning and practice tool.

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://www.you...withDougHarman

Hank, I know it has been around a long time. I think I had a copy back
in about 98 or so and I know it is good for many things. My point is
that it is SO good now that it will put small studios and starting
session players out of business.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Me, too. How often do you go to a club or concert?

Point taken on all of what you said. I still think that it is the up
and coming guys that will miss that middle level training. I don't
know many guys that jumped up to being great studio guys overnight. It
takes time and a lot of work. If you don't have the work to support
that middle level of guys then they do something else for a living.

As for going to clubs and concerts, I do it all the time. That is what
Lafayette LA is all about. In fact, I started my own venue using a
church fellowship hall and sponsor acoustic musicians playing
unplugged and make sure they are well promoted and well compensated.
We make nothing for ourselves at all. Every penny goes towards the
musician. We bring in local non profit organizations to help us
promote and they grovel for dollars too but the tickets sales of $10
and any sales of merch are 100% for the artist. We've usually put
money out of our own pockets if the tickets don't bring in at least
$300.

That really sounded boastful but it wasn't meant to be. Its more of a
heart felt thing for me and the few that help me out. As for the
working model, I think more churches should do this sort of thing. It
helps put the church on the map to those that had no idea it was
there, helps the artist and its fun.

BTW, I didn't realize I was logging onto your bbs all those years
back. I'm feeling old.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On Apr 30, 9:43*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

On 4/30/2011 1:09 AM, Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

Right - You agree with me, that it [Band In a Box] will wipe out some musicians but
don't think that is a bad thing.

No, I don't think that Hand believes that it will wipe out
musicians. It will save him from spending time with
musicians who aren't good enough, or aren't easily enough
accessible, for him to work with while in the songwriting
and arranging process.

Well, I think the original message Danny made was saying this was going
to kill the demo studio market.

And.... the honest truth is.... Band In a Box has been out for about ten
years now. *And, consequently or not, I haven't seen a demo studio for
about ten years now.

Thank you for the validation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/30/2011 10:43 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

And.... the honest truth is.... Band In a Box has been out for about ten
years now. And, consequently or not, I haven't seen a demo studio for
about ten years now.

Actually, BIAB has been out for closer to 20 years, and
every musician's home studio is a demo studio. The good ones
take outside clients, but usually only advertise locally if
at all.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/30/2011 11:59 AM, Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

Hank, I know it has been around a long time. I think I had a copy back
in about 98 or so and I know it is good for many things. My point is
that it is SO good now that it will put small studios and starting
session players out of business.

There are so many things that are putting commercial (small)
studios and musicians-for-hire out of business. The two
biggest contributors are home recording equipment and people
who are happy buying (or freeloading) home-made and
home-recorded music. It's not all crap, but there's so much
crap that there's little incentive for anyone wanting to to
produce musical product to pay for better quality than what
he can do for himself at home.

The upside is that some of those home musicians might use
Band in a Box to good advantage and at least keep Peter
Gannon in business a little longer.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/30/2011 12:10 PM, Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

I still think that it is the up
and coming guys that will miss that middle level training.

Most of them will, but they'll only come so far and then
they'll set music aside and get a day job. They won't jump
from up-and-coming to star.

If you don't have the work to support
that middle level of guys then they do something else for a living.

Nearly all of what I think you mean by "middle level" guys
do something else for a living. Some get back to music later
in life, or after they retire.

As for going to clubs and concerts, I do it all the time. That is what
Lafayette LA is all about.

Well, you happen to live in a community that's very proud of
its musical heritage and is very supportive of it. It's also
not a high cost-of-living area so it doesn't cost $45 to go
to a club or $100 to go to a concert. By the way, I moved
and re-installed the sound system for the Liberty Theater in
Eunice when they renovated it in 1990 or thereabouts.

I started my own venue using a
church fellowship hall and sponsor acoustic musicians playing
unplugged and make sure they are well promoted and well compensated.
We make nothing for ourselves at all. Every penny goes towards the
musician.

That's nice. There are coffee houses in the DC area where I
live that do that sort of thing but there aren't as many
gigs as there are musicians.

I think more churches should do this sort of thing. It
helps put the church on the map to those that had no idea it was
there, helps the artist and its fun.

Churches can do that sort of thing because they have lots of
volunteers, non-profit status, and often a pretty good
income. What you're saying, though, is that without some
non-profit organization backing the venue, there isn't
enough money to support the music. And that's the way it is
all over.

BTW, I didn't realize I was logging onto your bbs all those years
back. I'm feeling old.

I AM old.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

I see biab and some of these other things as subtracting from the
value of music and musicianship because. The end user will except low
end recordings as good enough so you know biab will be on the radio in
no time.

Danny, BiaB has been around for over a decade. It's a superb study and
learning and practice tool.

Hank, I know it has been around a long time. I think I had a copy back
in about 98 or so and I know it is good for many things. My point is
that it is SO good now that it will put small studios and starting
session players out of business.

Nowadays everybody has a small studio right at home, and nearly everyone
is a starting session player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/30/2011 1:09 AM, Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

Right - You agree with me, that it [Band In a Box] will wipe out some
musicians but don't think that is a bad thing.

No, I don't think that Hand believes that it will wipe out
musicians. It will save him from spending time with
musicians who aren't good enough, or aren't easily enough
accessible, for him to work with while in the songwriting
and arranging process.

Well, I think the original message Danny made was saying this was going
to kill the demo studio market.

And.... the honest truth is.... Band In a Box has been out for about ten
years now. And, consequently or not, I haven't seen a demo studio for
about ten years now.
--scott

Yeah, but it ain't becasue of BiaB, IMO, it's because for the cost of a
coffee pot and a toaster anybody can have a studio at their own house.
That's where demo work is happening, mostly, and in fact, where a whole
lot of product is beign recorded. Quality of material, performance, and
production is all over the map, but I've heard some fine work that folks
did at home. Of course, we've all heard drivel that was done in a good
studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

Me, too. How often do you go to a club or concert?

Point taken on all of what you said. I still think that it is the up
and coming guys that will miss that middle level training. I don't
know many guys that jumped up to being great studio guys overnight. It
takes time and a lot of work. If you don't have the work to support
that middle level of guys then they do something else for a living.

Today more than in the past there is much more availalbe in the way fo
formal training. Hell, I know kids coming out of high school who are
chops, taste, and studio saavy way beyond that of the previous
generation of mid-level pros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Les Cargill put forth the notion in...news:ipi3n6
:

hank alrich wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) wrote:

Me, too. How often do you go to a club or concert?

Point taken on all of what you said. I still think that it is the up
and coming guys that will miss that middle level training. I don't
know many guys that jumped up to being great studio guys overnight. It
takes time and a lot of work. If you don't have the work to support
that middle level of guys then they do something else for a living.

Today more than in the past there is much more availalbe in the way fo
formal training. Hell, I know kids coming out of high school who are
chops, taste, and studio saavy way beyond that of the previous
generation of mid-level pros.

There are some folks who show up on videos from NTSU ( Denton, Tx)
who are just about jaw-dropping. But they' ve probably been in a
lab band setting since Jr. high - and no telling what
before that.

--
Les Cargill

That's a great school - my nephew is finishing a master's program there.
He's really phenomenal on pipe organ. He's been in a few of their
online video performances as well.

david

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

The thing about Garage Band is that it comes free with every
Mac (and iPhone, too? I dunno) so anyone can play around
with it and at least get a start at making their song
listenable. BIAB isn't very expensive, but songwriters have
to eat, too.

Not anymore. You have to pay for iLife now. Not very much, though.
--scott

You can buy it separately if it didn't come with the machine, but
Apple's site this morning shows it shipping installed on the lowliest
MacBook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Reading the 1969 Playboy interview with McLuhan has severely altered my
thinking about what is happening. I never paid much attention to "the
medium is the message" or " the global village", but I think I'm
starting to catch on.

I'm impressed! You actually *read* playboy ;-)

Nationalists Knock Out Reds in Hamburg BretLudwig Audio Opinions 0 May 4th 08 11:43 PM
Studios [email protected] Pro Audio 6 December 31st 07 04:38 AM
Shure Knock Off..... Steve[_3_] Pro Audio 2 August 26th 07 05:16 AM
How many Pro studios use a PC? James Scott Pro Audio 60 January 24th 06 02:29 PM
Help Please!: -- Studios in a Box AweSpishus Pro Audio 3 September 26th 03 03:17 PM