Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
geoff geoff is offline

Default LAME conversion to MP3

On 22/02/2020 8:38 am, lid wrote:
On 21 Feb 2020 12:33:06 -0500,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I would keep the oriiginal WAV file, but web browsers can't play this
particular type of WAV file.

Have you considered retracking this with proper encoding and microphone
placement?
--scott

The recording device only produces WAV files with sample rate 48 KHz
and bit rate 192 kb/s. The WAV files it produces cannot be read by MS
Edge and other web browsers.

Can you download and unzip the file

http://c-compiler.com/myfiles/a-mp3.zip

and listen to the files x.wav and x.mp3 ? Are they similar?

Yes they are similar, almost if not totally indistinguishable, not
helped by of the overall clutter or extraneous sounds.

The audio files are 4 seconds each, and to my untrained ear they sound
much the same.

What do you think, is the encoding scheme I chose for conversion from
WAV to MP3 fit for purpose?

Kind of depends what your purpose is. The only unsatisfactory part is
the incredibly poor recording.

geoff