Scott Dorsey

Tim S Kemp wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

See, I find the 02R really irritating. I haven't used any of the
newer big Yamaha digital consoles, but the control overloading on the
02R just drives me up the wall.

Also it is _very_ easy to screw yourself up with the signal routing
functions.

02R was never intended as a live desk, it's control flow is similar to that
of an inline 8 buss (even if its surface isn't). 01V / 01V96 / DM1000 /
DM200 / PM5 / PM1 are all UI optimised for live use, everything falls to
hand. Recently had another engineer using the setuo on a regular basis and
only took a few hours to get proficient.

Well, that's sort of the problem. In the truck, you don't want a live
desk, but you also don't want a recording desk either. It's a weird
mix of features.

Thankfully there's still a market for broadcast desks like this, but it's
not a huge one and there aren't too many out there any more that are
specifically designed for the job.

Scott Dorsey

Tim S Kemp wrote:
shannon wrote:
SSL

drool

Having had to use the SSL5000 broadcast desks before.... there is nothing
there to drool over. There is a lot more to bang your head on the desk
over.

Has SSL even made any broadcast consoles since then?

Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote
in
message

Tim S Kemp wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
Digital desk maybe with the dumb**** 'virtual channels'

?
Either that - proving that you should never *ever* use
'assignable' desks for demanding live use or that the
engineer responsible is utterly clueless. If there is

*one*
fader you should have your finger on at the commencement

of
a new set.......

Digital rocks. Engineers who are ignoring digital and are
lost at the sight of a PM1, PM5 or a Digico are fooling
themselves into history.

It's the 'virtual channels' !

I presume you mean the layering of the controls.

NO bloody damn good in a demanding live environment.

There's no need to operate a digital console with either
scenes or layers. I can operate my 02R96 as a straight-up 24
input mixer with 24 faders.

Tim mentioned the Yamaha PM1 which Tim mentioned has 48
faders, and if all you want to do is mix 48 inputs, then
there's no need for layers at all.

You need to be able to access the
right fader, knob, etc within 10s ? of milliseconds.

I think you need a little time with a stop watch. If you
have your hand on the right fader, you're still limited by
human reaction time. Human reaction time is limited by the
complexity of the actual function being tested with more
complex tasks taking longer. However, about 0.3 seconds
(300 milliseconds) is a common number for the simplist
tasks. You can't do *anything* in tens of milliseconds.
We're talking 100s of milliseconds at the minimum.

Digital control surfaces stops that being possible.

Not at all. For openers, you can just use your digital
control surface as a 1:1 device. For every operational
channel there is one fader and its on the active layer.

Secondly, one benefit of being a digital console's ability
to reassign faders is the abilty to create a single layer
that controls all channels that will be in use for a given
scene.

Thirdly, just because a fader is visible does not mean that
you can reach there instantly. Given the choice between 24
faders that are in a tight little row in front of me, and 48
faders that are scattered all over a monster desktop, I'd
probably take the tight little row of faders. I can hit a
layer button in about the same amount of time as it would
take me to reach over a bank of faders to operate some
faders that are some distance away.

Paul van der Heu

"Tim S Kemp" wrote :

Damn right she will have, as will Robbie, as will Floyd. Mariah Carey
sounded worse than normal though...

I would not be surprised if the 'big acts' roll in their own digico all
preset and ready to go with their own engineer doing the finetuning on
site, feeding maybe 16 subgroups to FOH where they 'just' paste it
together.. I'm sure the madonna choir was pre-mixed..

--
Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows,
how are you gonna guarantee my safety..
Ralph Staub

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip

Not at all. For openers, you can just use your digital
control surface as a 1:1 device. For every operational
channel there is one fader and its on the active layer.

Secondly, one benefit of being a digital console's ability
to reassign faders is the abilty to create a single layer
that controls all channels that will be in use for a given
scene.

Thirdly, just because a fader is visible does not mean that
you can reach there instantly. Given the choice between 24
faders that are in a tight little row in front of me, and 48
faders that are scattered all over a monster desktop, I'd
probably take the tight little row of faders. I can hit a
layer button in about the same amount of time as it would
take me to reach over a bank of faders to operate some
faders that are some distance away.

I posted similar common sense earlier and Graham was afraid to respond
to me as well. Everything he says about digital consoles was true up to
several years ago. Sadly, his earlier experiences have left him tainted
and he's elected to be been left behind. More room for us, I suppose.

Tim Scott

Thirdly, just because a fader is visible does not mean that
you can reach there instantly. Given the choice between 24
faders that are in a tight little row in front of me, and 48
faders that are scattered all over a monster desktop, I'd
probably take the tight little row of faders. I can hit a
layer button in about the same amount of time as it would
take me to reach over a bank of faders to operate some
faders that are some distance away.

The PM1D has the advantage of being both of these if you want.

48 channels available in one layer, but split into 4 sets (or 96 channels
split into 8 sets)

At the flip of a button any of the sets of faders can be at hand, in the way
you program it.

So, for instance you could have a set of faders that are always at hand and
never more, while the other four do, or the faders moving from the right
side of the desk to the left, or the bottom layer to the top, or any
combination you can think of. You can have 6 (IIRC) of these 'bank jumps'
prgrammed in per show. If a smaller show you can have both left and right
sides of the desk set the same, ie both having channels 1-24.

Scott Dorsey

Paul van der Heu wrote:
"Tim S Kemp" wrote :

Damn right she will have, as will Robbie, as will Floyd. Mariah Carey
sounded worse than normal though...

I would not be surprised if the 'big acts' roll in their own digico all
preset and ready to go with their own engineer doing the finetuning on
site, feeding maybe 16 subgroups to FOH where they 'just' paste it
together.. I'm sure the madonna choir was pre-mixed..

Depends on the available time between setups. Everybody _wants_ to do
that, but often there isn't the time and ability to do the handover
effectively. It gets crazy when you have ten acts on the same stage in
a day.... not everyone can have their own FOB position, if only because
the power requirements and grounding issues would drive everyone insane.

Tim Scott

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Paul van der Heu wrote:
"Tim S Kemp" wrote :

Damn right she will have, as will Robbie, as will Floyd. Mariah Carey
sounded worse than normal though...

I would not be surprised if the 'big acts' roll in their own digico all
preset and ready to go with their own engineer doing the finetuning on
site, feeding maybe 16 subgroups to FOH where they 'just' paste it
together.. I'm sure the madonna choir was pre-mixed..

Depends on the available time between setups. Everybody _wants_ to do
that, but often there isn't the time and ability to do the handover
effectively. It gets crazy when you have ten acts on the same stage in
a day.... not everyone can have their own FOB position, if only because
the power requirements and grounding issues would drive everyone insane.
--scott

Though if the FOH desk is digital, then the band theoretically show up with
their show on disc, and just load it in. assuming they could get access to
the kind of desk they can do their rehearsal at 'home' and save everything
to disc and bring it along - all they would then have to do is repatch the
show to match the set up at the actual event - which can be done on the
engineers laptop back stage before the on site line check.

Ian Gregory

shannon wrote:
Perhaps it was the confusion of this classic analogue interface :-)

More details on Sound One at
http://www.bbcradioresources.com/ob/...sic/index.html

--
Ian Gregory
Replace "groups" with my first name to email

Simple Feedback Trainer: http://sft.sourceforge.net/
Bob Olhsson

"Jason Lavoie" wrote in message
.... the live tv feed is probably handled by whoever
was left

Even more likely it was handled by whoever mixed each artist's last album
which is a pretty common train wreck.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Joe Sensor

Why does every single discussion on this newsgroup become a bash fest?

Pathetic. (..)
Ron Capik

Arny Krueger wrote:

...snip..

Secondly, one benefit of being a digital console's ability
to reassign faders is the abilty to create a single layer
that controls all channels that will be in use for a given
scene.

Thirdly, just because a fader is visible does not mean that
you can reach there instantly. Given the choice between 24
faders that are in a tight little row in front of me, and 48
faders that are scattered all over a monster desktop, I'd
probably take the tight little row of faders. I can hit a
layer button in about the same amount of time as it would
take me to reach over a bank of faders to operate some
faders that are some distance away.

But you will need to have a map of the various layers in your
head so you instantly know which layer to to call. Ergonomics
of the user interface are still being worked out for these digital
control surfaces. If those 48 faders are "scattered all over" that
monster desk have you mapped the desk well?
Are there any folks out there doing ergonomic studies of
sound boards in various live situations?
I do that all the time when designing GUI interfaces for software.
I'll make a prototype, watch someone use it, then make adjustments.
So, what knob(s), button(s), fader(s) are tweaked the most/least?
How much does it depend on the engineer's background?
How different is the [tweak] pattern for monitor, FOH,
broadcast applications, etc. ?
How about low end "pro-sumer) vs high end (real professional)
applications?

I would say digital control surfaces are still a work in progress.
Umm, are there any good books/chapters/articles on logical
mapping of control surfaces?

Later...

Ron Capik

Mike Rivers

What I'd like to know is where were the rec.audio.pro folks who are
high tech in real life? Why wasn't one of us sitting at a concert,
computer in lap, wirelessly connected to the Internet, giving us a
blow-by-blow commentary on the house mix and what was really happening
on stage? Maybe even recording some audio from the house with a pair
of decent mics and posting clips?

Instead, we're sitting at our computers in the comfort of our air
conditioned homes, with no crowds and no bugs, blaming digital
consoles for human errors.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Tim Scott

"Joe Sensor" wrote in message
Why does every single discussion on this newsgroup become a bash fest?

Pathetic. (..)

Dunno, it certainly didn't used to be this way. Used to be fairly friendlu
here.

Tim Scott

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message
news
"Jason Lavoie" wrote in message
... the live tv feed is probably handled by whoever
was left

Even more likely it was handled by whoever mixed each artist's last album
which is a pretty common train wreck.

The live tv feed would have been handled by a different company from the
live mixes, and so there shouldn't have been any problems with the live
sound getting all of one companies best guys, as the company doing the
broadcast feed will have different staff.

Scott Dorsey

Tim Scott wrote:

Thirdly, just because a fader is visible does not mean that
you can reach there instantly. Given the choice between 24
faders that are in a tight little row in front of me, and 48
faders that are scattered all over a monster desktop, I'd
probably take the tight little row of faders. I can hit a
layer button in about the same amount of time as it would
take me to reach over a bank of faders to operate some
faders that are some distance away.

The PM1D has the advantage of being both of these if you want.

48 channels available in one layer, but split into 4 sets (or 96 channels
split into 8 sets)

At the flip of a button any of the sets of faders can be at hand, in the way
you program it.

I find this really irritating. BUT, it doesn't do any harm because you
don't have to use it. You can just use only the first layer and be done
with it.

But what I find REALLY irritating is having to select the channel in order
to change the aux send levels or EQ.

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1120403663k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

What I'd like to know is where were the rec.audio.pro folks who are
high tech in real life? Why wasn't one of us sitting at a concert,
computer in lap, wirelessly connected to the Internet, giving us a
blow-by-blow commentary on the house mix and what was really happening
on stage? Maybe even recording some audio from the house with a pair
of decent mics and posting clips?

Hey, I do that every Tuesday night at the symphony. And since we broadcast
with two-hour tape delay, I can give you blow-by-blow commentary before
the fact. The band isn't bad either.

Instead, we're sitting at our computers in the comfort of our air
conditioned homes, with no crowds and no bugs, blaming digital
consoles for human errors.

Nahh, just trying to figure out what the error was and where it was.
Scott Dorsey

Tim Scott wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Depends on the available time between setups. Everybody _wants_ to do
that, but often there isn't the time and ability to do the handover
effectively. It gets crazy when you have ten acts on the same stage in
a day.... not everyone can have their own FOB position, if only because
the power requirements and grounding issues would drive everyone insane.

Though if the FOH desk is digital, then the band theoretically show up with
their show on disc, and just load it in. assuming they could get access to
the kind of desk they can do their rehearsal at 'home' and save everything
to disc and bring it along - all they would then have to do is repatch the
show to match the set up at the actual event - which can be done on the
engineers laptop back stage before the on site line check.

And that does happen, although of course the actual mix at the live event
turns out to be very different than the mix in rehearsal because the hall
is so different. That's less of an issue at a stadium concert where there
isn't so much spill from the main stage and all the sound is coming from
the PA, but it's still a little one.

The problem, though, is that you've got three mixes being made at the
monitor, FOB, and remote truck locations. Sometimes multiple remote
broadcast mixes are being cut, too. And there are only a limited number
of people that really know the band and the music to mix it. And there
is no time. And nobody ever tells the guy in the truck ANYTHING.

It's better than it was back in the days of expensive analogue tape,
when the guy in the truck would also be making a bunch of submixes to
go to tape. These days folks usually have enough tracks in the truck
just to record everything and straighten the record mixes out later,
which leaves them free to deal with the live broadcast mixes. Although
I'll say I did a festival gig to 1" 8-track not too long ago.

Ron Capik

shannon wrote:

...snip..

[ ... ] and light years faster to control dynamics and assign reverbs and
delays.

Nit pick of the moment: light years are a unit of distance not time...

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

Tim Scott

"Ron Capik" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

...snip..

[...]

Certainly on the PM1D, the users has the decision as to what feed are mapped
to which channel, all of the patching is software based, so channel one on
stage can be patched to any of the 96 channels. So if the input feeds are
indeed scattered all over then the engineer can only blame himself.
You only have two layers, 1-48 and 49-96.
The desk itself is split left and right and bottom and top, so you have four
banks of faders. At the touch of the "flip" button you can switch or cycle
through different configurations of how these are arranged, to bring the
desired set of 12 faders to your fingers instantly, whether that set of
channels be to your right, or underneath. You can have up to 8 of these
patterns programmed, and the "flip"will cycle through them. If you only
have two programmed then it will just flip between the two. If you have
some channels you want all the time, whatever page you are on, then you can
have, say channels 1-12 in the same position on each of these patterns.

These desks are highly versitile, and to someone experienced, and who knows
what they are doing they are much more useful for a show. It is all down to
how thought through the programming and set up of the features are. If the
useful and important channels are scattered all over, or the important
channel is buried in the bottom layer, then it is down to bad programming
and not bad control surface design.

Once you have gotten your head into the idea of the soft patch, and having
faders anywhere, and sets of channels flying around, it is so much more
useable than an analog desk.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

But you will need to have a map of the various layers in your
head so you instantly know which layer to to call. Ergonomics
of the user interface are still being worked out for these digital
control surfaces. If those 48 faders are "scattered all over" that
monster desk have you mapped the desk well?
Are there any folks out there doing ergonomic studies of
sound boards in various live situations?

I think that engineers have their own preferences. When I'm working a
festival, I figure out the maximum number of vocal mics I'll need at
any time during the day and set aside that many channels plus a couple
more for they guests, clueless, and liars. I put those as the first
(usualy) 8 inputs on the console. If there's a drum kit, I'll reserve
a section of the console for that, as many channels as I think I'll
need, usually near the right end of the console, but not all the way
to the right, because the last fader is always the MC's mic. I'll put
the kick on the left end of that drum group so that two or three
channels for the bass (acoustic, amp, direct) can be just to the left
of it. Everything else fills up the middle. This can mean needing a
24-channel console for a day that's more than half solos or duos with
instruments. But PA rentals don't usualy go by the number of channels
on the console.

That's the way I do it, but then I get some dingbat up on stage who
plugs the instrument on the far left into Channel 1, that
instrumentalist's vocal mic into Channel 2, a couple of guitars and
vocals alternating 3 through 6 and said "I always hook it up this
way."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Thomas Bishop

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
But what I find REALLY irritating is having to select the channel in order
to change the aux send levels or EQ.

You'd get used to it, Scott, I promise. I have made that mistake before, as
well as no switching layers and moving the fader for the wrong channel. But
I have also made some stupid mistakes on analog consoles too, and have
learned from it all.

Arny Krueger

Tim Scott wrote:

[...]

What is even more irritating is using an analog console
where what you get is rigidly limited to what you see.

BUT, it doesn't do any harm
because you don't have to use it. You can just use only

the
first layer and be done with it.

Agreed.

But what I find REALLY irritating is having to select the
channel in order to change the aux send levels or EQ.

I don't know how *every* digital console handles this, but
for the 02r96, a channel becomes selected whenever you touch
any of the exposed controls for it, including the fader
knob, the the mute button, the select button, etc. So
selecting a channel is as simple as tapping the top of its
fader knob - quite painless and intuitive.

Arny Krueger

"Ron Capik" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

...snip..

[...]

There aren't *that* many layers.

Ergonomics
of the user interface are still being worked out for these
digital control surfaces.

Ideally, the entire surface would be a display, and the
nomenclature for everying visible would reflect all
important parameters of its current state. I'd be happier if
the channel strips would display the friendly name of the
channel.

If those 48 faders are "scattered
all over" that monster desk have you mapped the desk well?

The same applies to digital desks. If the available faders
are hard to remember, have you organized the desk well?

Are there any folks out there doing ergonomic studies of
sound boards in various live situations?

Searching google suggests that most such *reasearch* is
being done by marketing types. ;-)

I do that all the time when designing GUI interfaces for
software. I'll make a prototype, watch someone use it,

then
make adjustments. So, what knob(s), button(s), fader(s)

are
tweaked the most/least? How much does it depend on the
engineer's background?

Most ergonomic studies seem to show that the most-used part
of a mixing desks is the faders.

How different is the [tweak] pattern for monitor, FOH,
broadcast applications, etc. ?
How about low end "pro-sumer) vs high end (real

professional)
applications?

I would say digital control surfaces are still a work in
progress.

As is everything in a healthy technology.

Umm, are there any good books/chapters/articles on
logical mapping of control surfaces?

Let me get back with your after I get a few more weeks
experience with my first mapping design for my new 02R96.
;-)

The two layers are called praise and worship, and spoken
word and special music.

Ralph Staub

Arny Krueger wrote:

I don't know how *every* digital console handles this, but
for the 02r96, a channel becomes selected whenever you touch
any of the exposed controls for it, including the fader
knob, the the mute button, the select button, etc. So
selecting a channel is as simple as tapping the top of its
fader knob - quite painless and intuitive.

I don't much care the touch faders or the auto channel selection, so I
just turn it off. that way the selected channel is always the last
channel I selected... And there enlies another beauty of digital;
Flexibility. You like it one way, I like it the other. We BOTH get our
choice with the same console.

Ralph
Phildo

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'll never be able to mention Brit Row in future without caveats, if they
are
indeed the contractor,

Same goes for Clair Bros.

Those two companies were responsible for two of the three worst sounding
gigs I have heard. I used to work at Brit Row and had a lot of respect for
them but it seems they have been going downhill rapidly in the last few
years.

Phildo

Scott Dorsey

Thomas Bishop wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
But what I find REALLY irritating is having to select the channel in order
to change the aux send levels or EQ.

You'd get used to it, Scott, I promise. I have made that mistake before, as
well as no switching layers and moving the fader for the wrong channel. But
I have also made some stupid mistakes on analog consoles too, and have
learned from it all.

Yeah, I would get used to it. But the way I look at this stuff, people are
supposed to adapt machines to do what they want, rather than adapt themselves
to the machines.

Neve did a pretty good job of this with the Capricorn, not such a good
job with their digital mastering desk.

I basically wound up building a custom console to do exactly what I wanted,
exactly the way I wanted it, because there aren't too many good broadcast
consoles out there today.

The great thing about digital systems is that it _should_ be possible to
build your own custom systems based on standard control surfaces and router
modules, with a lot less effort than building analogue gear custom. There
are some folks like Klotz and Graham-Patten systems who have been doing this
in the broadcast console world, basically providing a kit to build yourself
a console. Much the way modular analogue consoles used to be.
Ian Gregory

Tim S Kemp wrote:
Anyone got a kit list for this gig? I notice Turbo monitors in the stage
front but not had clear view of stacks and FOH...

Some more info on the Blue Room (a theatre tech forum) from Mark
Isbister - see
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.ph...ndpost&p=68878

To quote:

"Hello All

I'm fresh back from Hyde Park where I was working for Brit Row. I can
therefore supply some concrete facts regarding the Sound side of the event.

The band sound was run from 4 digico D5 desks 2 on monitors and 2 at
FOH. Some of the bands had rehearsed in around london during the week
running up-to the event using TFM450 wedges and a pair of digico desks.
The sessions from these rehearsals where then brought to site on a
digico USB watch (nice swag). At each end of the multicore there was
also a spare D5 desk which was used for checking these session files and
building new ones for the engineers who hadn't had any pre programing
time. As for the feedback the many of the bands came with their own
monitor and foh engineers many of whom had very little time on the
boards before there artists took to the stage. The monitor system
sounded great and it was quite possible to get a very in your face vocal
sound on stage. Quite a few of the enginners didn't go out on stage to
have a listen during the turnaround those who did had a feedback feed show.

The line system was based on a A/B idea with 56 channels of bss splits
for each system. As one band was performing the next act was being
set-up on the back of the revole. A large back stage area (nicknamed
stage 2) was used to prep the following bands gear on rolling risers.
Sennheiser sponsored the event with serveral hundred microphones from
there catalogue available as well as the standard fare from Brit Rows
hire stock.The TV and radio sound was mixed in two BBC SSL Equiped
mobile trucks one for each line system. These are the same trucks that
did the broadcast mix at glasto with the same team opeating them so the
earlier comments regarding the glasto mix are a little hard to justify
maybe something to do with the mud done there. Anyway Live8 has been the
most intense 48 hours in my life to-date lets hope that the G8 sit-up
and take notice of public pressure and Make Poverty History.

If anyone has any questions regarding the gig please post and I will try
to answer the best I can.

Mark"

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.ph...ndpost&p=68878

--
Ian Gregory
Replace "groups" with my first name to email

Simple Feedback Trainer: http://sft.sourceforge.net/
John Deans

When I have been involved with an event that the BBC or other broadcaster
covered they normally take a mike split and have their own people mix,
sometime their mixes are awful and their attitude can be awfully high
handed.

"Tim Scott" wrote in message

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message
news
"Jason Lavoie" wrote in message
... the live tv feed is probably handled by whoever
was left

Even more likely it was handled by whoever mixed each artist's last

album
which is a pretty common train wreck.

The live tv feed would have been handled by a different company from the
live mixes, and so there shouldn't have been any problems with the live
sound getting all of one companies best guys, as the company doing the
broadcast feed will have different staff.

Phildo

Anyway Live8 has been the
most intense 48 hours in my life to-date lets hope that the G8 sit-up and
take notice of public pressure and Make Poverty History.

They can throw as much money as they want at Africa and nothing will get
done until they sort out the corruption in the government there. The west
has given $5,000 aid PER PERSON to Africa since the 50s.

Nice sentiment but until people realise nothing will change in Africa unless
the politics change there then the powerful rich will simply take the money
for themselves while the poor people starve and die.

Phildo

Joe Sensor

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:57:34 -0500, Joe Sensor

Who cares? It wasn't a musical event, was it? :-)
Tim Scott

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Ron Capik" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

...snip..

[...]

Certainly the PM1D displays the name of the channel, as to what you, the
operator named at (albiet confined to 4 charaters of ascii) but it does away
with whit LX tape!

Tim Scott

"Phildo" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'll never be able to mention Brit Row in future without caveats, if they
are
indeed the contractor,

Same goes for Clair Bros.

Those two companies were responsible for two of the three worst sounding
gigs I have heard. I used to work at Brit Row and had a lot of respect for
them but it seems they have been going downhill rapidly in the last few
years.

There was a time years ago, that Wig were in a position and certainly
considered buying Brit, but as Wig has a Christian/Church background/ethos
they decided against it, as they didn't see what Brit was doing, whee it was
going to be inline with that.

Lorin David Schultz

"Pooh Bear" wrote:

And it's been such a piece of wank that I forget the addy of the site
I'm suppossed to log into to add my name.

http://www.live8live.com

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Lorin David Schultz

"Tim S Kemp" wrote:

I would expect there to be the usual split for the broadcast

I think the broadcast guys got bitten by mic splits with Shakira. The
chorus of her big tune has some kind of vocoder/pitch manager effect on
it, which was not there in the broadcast mix. At first her voice just
kind of dropped out during the effect parts, then we got more of the
ambient mics (apparently the FOH mix had the effect intact), and by the
end of the song we just got the unprocessed vocal.

Note to self: always check if any special effects/processing are part of
the signature sound when taking mic splits rather than board feed.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Lorin David Schultz

"Pooh Bear" wrote:

Give me an 'unknown' concert scenario and I'll use a classic
analogue desk any day, simply for it's lovely simple control
surface.

"Thomas Bishop" wrote:

And your "old fart" ways of thinking.

Oh come ON Thomas, you can't really be serious, are you? Suggesting
that current digital consoles are anywhere CLOSE to mature enough to
compete with a decent analog desk for impromptu live mixes? That's
absurd.

When the control surface is a-knob-for-every-function like an analog
desk, the comparisons can begin. If there's even ONE menu between me
and the adjustment, it's too late by the time the change is made.

Admittedly some of the better units now have the I/O managed better
thanks to decent resampling on the inputs, but anything less than
top-of-the line desks still present I/O challenges that could be ulcer
makers in an emergency.

Then there's the issue of throughput delay. 9ms from input to output
can really mess up a cue mix.

I'm not yet an old fart and I really love the advantages of digital, but
in the case of live, seat-of-the-pants mixing, I don't see digital as
HAVING many advantages yet. Maybe someday, but not today.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Lorin David Schultz

"Tim Scott" wrote:

Certainly on the PM1D, the users has the decision as to what feed are
mapped to which channel, all of the patching is software based, so
channel one on stage can be patched to any of the 96 channels.

"I can't hear the kick mic! What's going on?"

"It's going into input nine on the snake."

"Great, where the **** does that show up on the board? For that matter,
where the **** are the inputs? Whaddaya mean 'in the other rack?!'"

I don't begrudge anyone else their preferred working method, but *at
this point in the development of digital consoles* I'll stick with
peering over the edge of the board and looking for the XLR with a 9 on
it, seeing which channel it's plugged into on a clearly labelled panel,
then going to the strip that I *know* is associated with that connector,
and that I *know* is showing me all the parameters for that channel.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Lorin David Schultz

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Most ergonomic studies seem to show that the most-used part
of a mixing desks is the faders.

Is that why designers ****ing BURY everything else? g

We have some Yomama digital desk in our supersuite. Someone screwed
around with it and messed up the output routing. I spent half-an-hour
trying to figure out how to get input "A" to output "B" and finally gave
up. I called one of the other audio guys to have a look, and he
couldn't figure it out either. He eventually got it after an hour with
the manual.

Sure, neither one of us had either so much as touched that mixer before,
but we're not exactly newbies to either audio or digital (ours was the
first all-digital station in Canada). The point is that problem solving
is easy with an analog mixer, and unnecessarily difficult with many
(most?) digital desks.