Posted to rec.audio.pro
BJ Walthers BJ Walthers is offline

Default recommendations for mix monitoring headphones?

I need to accurately monitor a mix I have been making. I am wondering what
good headphones are recommended? Currently, I am using a pair of Sony
MDR-V6's, but these seem to miss some of the spectrum.

Thanks,
AJ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

I need to accurately monitor a mix I have been making.

Headphones are not ideal for mixing for many reasons. One big reason is
things sound too up-front and clear, so you tend to mix those too soft and
they get lost when heard on loudspeakers.

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

BJ Walthers wrote:
I need to accurately monitor a mix I have been making. I am wondering what
good headphones are recommended? Currently, I am using a pair of Sony
MDR-V6's, but these seem to miss some of the spectrum.

You cannot accurately monitor a mix under any circumstances. You can only
approximate it.

What do you want headphones for? If you need them because you are monitoring
in loud live conditions, I recommend the Etymotic in-ear sets.

If you need them to listen for detail, it's hard to beat the MDR-V6. They
have a very tipped-up high end which exaggerates small details and makes
them a good choice for editing.

If you're trying to make decisions about image and about soundfield, don't
bother. You can't do that on headphones, it just doesn't work.

If you're trying to make tonal decisions, your choice is going to depend
a lot on your ears; the low end of the headphones depends a lot on the
volume of your ear canals and everybody is a little different. You will
hear more of an issue in that regard with closed and open phones. I rather
like the Grados for broad sweeping tonal stuff, but they have a tendency
to make everything sound good and not to show up mix problems well.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] glennerd1@cox.net is offline

On Nov 11, 10:58*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
BJ Walthers wrote:
[...]

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Sony v6 is the duller version of the 7406. Sony 7406 are bright. When
I used to use 7406 clients would listen to the control room monitors
for a second or two let say during vocal dubs. Sometimes they would go
back and put the sony headphones back on. I think because the
headphones made things sound better. Unreal.
Sennheiser makes good headphones. I have some big sennheiseer
headphones that sound nice. Forget the number 535 or so. If you ever
want to try some new headphones, you might try sennheiser H280. You
might have to go thru withdrawals from that bright Sony sound. I did.
Glenn
Glenn.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"BJ Walthers" wrote:

I need to accurately monitor a mix I have been making. I am wondering what
good headphones are recommended? Currently, I am using a pair of Sony
MDR-V6's, but these seem to miss some of the spectrum.

Thanks,
AJ

Not that I would ever mix something using just a headphone, but the new
Audio Technica ATHM50 is the best headphone I know for checking out
mixes.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com