Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Merits of 2496

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:34:56 -0500, "Steve King"
wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
Unfortunately 'common usage" (or misusage) blurs the definition of
'engineer'. Like the man who fisxes your phone get called the telephone
engineer !!!

Not here, he usually gets called a telephone tech, whether he's an
engineer, technician, technical officer, or linesman.

Sound engineering s almost universally done by people who are not
actually engineers, but use the term loosely to describe their functi0on.
And some ractually believe that they are in fact engineers.

Probably because some actually are. In the past some started as electronic
engineers, but now we have degrees in audio engineering. Unfortunately
they nearly always get paid less than an apprentice electrician here,
which doesn't make the degree course too attractive. And if they are
really unlucky they end up teaching the subject for even less money :-(

Trevor.

The title of engineer has long been used for persons doing jobs that do not
require the scope of knowledge taught in traditional university degree
courses. Since the days of steam engines, train drivers have been
engineers. Stationary engineers (as opposed to those moving on trains, I
guess) take care of boilers that heat buildings. I'm sure there are more.
The term, engineer, needs an adjective to be meaningful.

Steve King

An adjective - good, I like that. How about "real"? If I lived in
Germany, my colleagues would call me "Herr Doktor". On the whole, I
prefer England.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Steve King wrote:
"Trevor" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

There were engineers long before there were university degrees in
engineering.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Trevor writes:

Probably because some actually are. In the past some started as electronic
engineers, but now we have degrees in audio engineering. Unfortunately they
nearly always get paid less than an apprentice electrician here, which
doesn't make the degree course too attractive. And if they are really
unlucky they end up teaching the subject for even less money :-(

Engineering is the type of work one does, not the credential one holds,
despite attempts to enforce the latter.

DA-2496 Julien Bernier Pro Audio 6 September 7th 06 04:51 PM
FA: AUDIOPHILE 2496 David Pro Audio 0 April 8th 05 07:14 PM
FS: Aardvark Pro 2496 like new $299 Kelly Dueck Pro Audio 0 September 14th 04 09:39 PM
Samplitude 6 2496 and the 01X Cedric Pro Audio 0 March 6th 04 01:18 PM
types of sub boxes- merits of? SmilingSinner Car Audio 4 July 18th 03 12:07 AM