#1   Report Post  

Default Trying to make sense of things

Music has always been a passion of mine, so of course it's no surprise I got into hi-fi components. I grew up around my dads stereo, Kenwood KA-5700 integrated, Kenwood KT-413 tuner, Kenwood KX-500 cassette deck, Kenwood KD-3070 turntable, ADC Sound Shaper One EQ, and a pair of CV HED 3 way 15" woofer speakers (not sure of the exact model no.). It also had a Kenwood CD player connected for a while however when it died he replaced it with a cheap DVD player (must have been advice from the same person who told him lamp cord was just as good as speaker wire). When my uncle passed away I got my hands on his old Onkyo TX-2500 MKII and a JVC L-E3 linear tracking turntable (crap). I first hokked it up using a DVD player, cheap audio cables, and a pair of even cheaper Sony speakers (from one of those all in one units you can get at Wal-Mart for $200). However, I very quickly stepped up and by going to a series of pawn shops had an Integra CDC 3.4 (which I still use), and a Technics 7 band graphic EQ. I replaced the JVC with a Kenwood KD-42RB that I picked up at a garage sale, and was given a set of Advent Legacy and Prodigy II speakers plus a box for a 12" CV passive sub. I soon had replaced the Technics with an AudioControl Ten Series III ten band octave EQ, and my dad gave me an old school SAE 5000A Impulse Noise Reduction System (probably one of my coolest components). Now if only he'd finally give me those Henry Kloss Advents he's got stashed in the basement. Recently though I got real tired of all the problems I was constantly having to deal with due to the age of my equipment (i.e. always having to pull covers off to spray dirty switches, dirty connections on the output jacks that would randomly make one channel go out, etc.) so I upgraded. I went to the only place that still sells home stereo equipment in central Kansas, Del's Electronics, where they just happen to sell Onkyo/Integra products. I purchased an Integra DTM 5.9 two channel stereo receiver, Onkyo SKW-204 powered sub, and a pair of Klipsch RF-52 II tower speakers. I matched these components with a Gemini TT-01 MKII turntable and a NAD PP3i phono preamp which I ordered off the internet, and of course the CDC 3.4 which I already owned. In between the Onkyo that started it all and the Integra system I own now I had a NAD system (NAD 3125 amp, 4125 tuner, and 5330 CD player) nice sounding system, but I had more problems with every component in that system than any other used component I've ever aquired. However, just because of the name I still managed to sell it... NOT WORKING, and parts for said equipment no longer available according to NAD. What I'm trying to make sense of is why Onkyo/Integra isn't more respected in the audiophile community, I spent less on my entire stereo than I would have on ONE "high end" component (NAD, Parasound, Vincent, Rega, Bryston, etc.), I get sound quality that's just as good, if not better (on paper there's not enough difference in the specs to matter), I have more user options thanks to the integrated PC board, and through my past experiences it would seem as though Onkyo has better overall quality (I can pass mine down to my kids someday). It's got me confused*~*