Carey Carlan

Default Matching the sound

I recorded the dress rehearsal Saturday for purely selfish reasons. I had
missed two of the four rehearsals and needed something to practice to. I
set up close so I could hear everything in great detail.

During the concert on Sunday, the soloist badly flubbed a section that he
performed perfectly in the rehearsal and I have to match one to the other.
Of course the mics are in a different location, the piano has been moved to
a different location on the stage, and we have an audience, so...

Hear are (roughly) the steps I performed.
1) match levels
2) reposition the piano by (a) swapping channels and (b) mixing some -R
with +L to shift it farther to the right.
3) match levels
4) EQ to match greater distance to mics
5) match levels
6) add reverb to match the greater distance
7) match levels
8) add some noise to match the HVAC and general room noise
9) match levels

and WHY doesn't it even begin to sound the same? Oh yes, I forgot.
10) apply the same NR and high pass filter to the rehearsal that I did to
the concert.
11) match levels.

This is turd polishing to the extreme, but it can be modestly successful if
you're willing to be patient and do all the trial and error tests to get
everything matched (or be really good at it and get it right the first
time, which I didn't).

Here's a web page with the before and after:
http://ccarlan.home.mindspring.com/MatchSound.htm
unitron

Carey Carlan wrote in message .203...
I recorded the dress rehearsal Saturday for purely selfish reasons. I had
missed two of the four rehearsals and needed something to practice to. I
set up close so I could hear everything in great detail.

During the concert on Sunday, the soloist badly flubbed a section that he
performed perfectly in the rehearsal and I have to match one to the other.
Of course the mics are in a different location, the piano has been moved to
a different location on the stage, and we have an audience, so...

Between dress rehearsal and performance the mics and the piano were
moved? Sounds as though someone needs to explain the meaning of
"dress rehearsal" to them.

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
(unitron) wrote in
. com:

Between dress rehearsal and performance the mics and the piano were
moved? Sounds as though someone needs to explain the meaning of
"dress rehearsal" to them.

That's easy. This is a heavily used hall. Between our dress and the
concert there was another rehearsal and a concert, so moving the piano to a
different spot (a matter of a few feet) isn't a surprise.

Make gaffer tape marks on the floor for the piano. Always mikes life much,
much easier. Chorus risers are worth marking too because they also have a
tendency to shift a few inches when nobody is looking.

As for the microphones, that was my choice. I wasn't planning to use the
recording of the rehearsal to fix the concert--merely to practice by it
between times. The conductor talks incessantly during the dress rehearsal
making that tape (usually) useless for patching things.

Can you patch notes from some other section of the piece?