Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default I need to find the end of a coax cable

Can someone offer an idea to me?

I moved into a new home and in the basement I have coax cable in
bunches. These are then run throughout the house. Of course they are
not labelled in any way.

How can I determine which cable goes to which room? Seems like if I
could put a load from one of the rooms on the coax I should be able to
go to the basement and put something on each wire to find the one that
runs to the room.

Makes sense to me but i do not know how to do this or what devices I
would need.

Anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mick

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:03:33 -0800, toadmanor wrote:

Can someone offer an idea to me?

I moved into a new home and in the basement I have coax cable in
bunches. These are then run throughout the house. Of course they are
not labelled in any way.

How can I determine which cable goes to which room? Seems like if I
could put a load from one of the rooms on the coax I should be able to
go to the basement and put something on each wire to find the one that
runs to the room.

Makes sense to me but i do not know how to do this or what devices I
would need.

Anyone?

Use a test meter on the OHMS range to detect cables. Put resistors across
each coax "room end". If you pick sensible resistors you will easily be
able to tell which is which. I would suggest something like 22R 47R 100R
220R 470R 1K etc. I don't know how many rooms you are dealing with or
whether your test meter is analogue or digital, but those values are easy
to get and easy to tell apart on most meters.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Remove blockage to use my email address

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

toadmanor wrote ...
Can someone offer an idea to me?

I moved into a new home and in the basement I have coax cable in
bunches. These are then run throughout the house. Of course they are
not labelled in any way.

How can I determine which cable goes to which room? Seems like if I
could put a load from one of the rooms on the coax I should be able to
go to the basement and put something on each wire to find the one that
runs to the room.

Makes sense to me but i do not know how to do this or what devices I
would need.

You can get a meter for $10US. It will be useful for many
things beyond this particular project.

First, use the meter to confirm that none of the cables are
shorted (as from a construction worker running a nail through
the cable, etc.).

Then short the end of the cable in the first room, and measure
all the cables in the basement until you find the one with the
shorted end. Identify each remaining cable in the same way.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jack

You can download a sound-card frequency synthesizer program from
www.trueaudio.com and inject a 1kHz signal into the cable -- just use a pair
of headphones connected to an F-connector to see where the signal comes out.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone offer an idea to me?

I moved into a new home and in the basement I have coax cable in
bunches. These are then run throughout the house. Of course they are
not labelled in any way.

How can I determine which cable goes to which room? Seems like if I
could put a load from one of the rooms on the coax I should be able to
go to the basement and put something on each wire to find the one that
runs to the room.

Makes sense to me but i do not know how to do this or what devices I
would need.

Anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mick

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:13:20 -0500, jack wrote:

You can download a sound-card frequency synthesizer program from
www.trueaudio.com and inject a 1kHz signal into the cable -- just use a pair
of headphones connected to an F-connector to see where the signal comes out.

Or just put a 9v battery with 680 ohms in series between core & screen of
a lead then go hunting the other ends with 2 LEDs connected in reverse
parallel (to allow connection of either polarity).

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Remove blockage to use my email address
Web: http://www.nascom.info & http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article .uk, mick wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:13:20 -0500, jack wrote:

You can download a sound-card frequency synthesizer program from
www.trueaudio.com and inject a 1kHz signal into the cable -- just use a pair
of headphones connected to an F-connector to see where the signal comes out.

Or just put a 9v battery with 680 ohms in series between core & screen of
a lead then go hunting the other ends with 2 LEDs connected in reverse
parallel (to allow connection of either polarity).

You could put a couple thousand volts across the plug, and the other side should be a sparkin.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
mick

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:07:54 +0000, GregS wrote:

In article .uk, mick wrote:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:13:20 -0500, jack wrote:

You can download a sound-card frequency synthesizer program from
www.trueaudio.com and inject a 1kHz signal into the cable -- just use a pair
of headphones connected to an F-connector to see where the signal comes out.

Or just put a 9v battery with 680 ohms in series between core & screen of
a lead then go hunting the other ends with 2 LEDs connected in reverse
parallel (to allow connection of either polarity).

You could put a couple thousand volts across the plug, and the other side should be a sparkin.

just tune for maximum smoke? grin