Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Can a cheap Chinese tube amp convert me to tubing?

"eponymous cowherd" wrote in message

I am a non-tuber thinking about becoming a tuber.

**Why?

What intrigues me the
most is that tubes are described as being non-fatigueing.

**Depends on what topology is being used. Some tube amps (notably pentode
types) range frm pretty good to horrible.

I suspect that
my NAD 7225/KEF C30/cheap DVD player combination is fatigueing me,
though I have nothing to compare it to.

**Well, I see several problems right there. Cheap DVD players are terrible.
The NAD is nothing special and, well, the less said about the KEFs, the
better.

I just know that I love my +100
CD collection, keep buying new CDs and just can't listen to music for
very long. Its not the music, because I love it. So I am thinking about
buying a tube amp and seeing if that's less fatigueing.

**I'd suggest buying a decent CD player, FIRST. Then decent speakers, THEN
worry about amplification.

But I don't have
a lot of money to spend, as you might have guessed from the age of my
components, and I don't have a lot of money to spend on what might end
up being a failed experiment. So I am thinking about buying one of those
$200 chinese tube amps from ebay and giving it a go.

**They're crap. The output transformers are the biggest failing.

I am not asking if these amps are good, I'm sure that there are armies
of ppl on the usenet waiting to lecture me as to the shortcomings of
inexpensive chinese products. I just want to know if these amps are good
enough to let me know if I was born a tuber or not. That's all.

**Fix up the obvious problems, THEN worry about amplifiers.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

though I have nothing to compare it to.

**Well, I see several problems right there. Cheap DVD players are
terrible.
The NAD is nothing special and, well, the less said about the KEFs, the
better.

I've tried buying expensive CD players and they don't last long enough
to be worth the money and then a few years later everyone is talking
about how the new DACs are 10x better than the one in your expensive CD
player.

**Bull****. The technology of CD players is mature. Good CD players are not
hard to find and are quite reliable. Your DAC comment misses the fundamental
problem of cheap DVD players - Output OP amps. The OP amps used in cheap DVD
players dates back to the late 1970s. They're terrible and they sound
terrible. NOTHING you can do will improve the sound of a cheap DVD player,
short of major surgery.

I will not go down that road again. I think my Toshiba sd-3990
is good enough. I agree that the NAD is mediocre. I like the speakers,
they sounded better to me than any other speaker in the store when I
bought them and they always compare well to other speakers I hear. If I
get rid of something its going to be the amp.

**OK. It's your money. You waste anyway you want. Why ask for advice, if you
are going to ignore it though?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au