Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Can a cheap Chinese tube amp convert me to tubing?

eponymous cowherd wrote:

I am not asking if these amps are good, I'm sure that there are armies
of ppl on the usenet waiting to lecture me as to the shortcomings of
inexpensive chinese products. I just want to know if these amps are good
enough to let me know if I was born a tuber or not. That's all.

There are better ways, and the danger from some of the Pacific Rim
products is that they are so badly made that they might discourage you
improperly.

So, if you are willing to spend what it takes to get (presumably new)
Chinese amps that are enough well-made to be reasonably good sounding
(or at least properly represent tubes), you are in the range of decent
vintage equipment with an established reputation that will enable you
to both make that determination _AND_ recover your money if you do not
ultimately like the medium.

Bret Ludwig will rise from his coffin, but here is a list of potential
amps in the $400-or-so range, and in NO particular order. All of which
are well-supported in the hobbyist groups.

Power Amps (30-40 wpc range):

Dynaco ST-70
Scott LK72 and variations
Eico ST-70 & variations
Various Heaths.

Integrated Amps (14-40 wpc range)

Dynaco SCA-35 (typically $200 or less, but very low power)
Various Scotts
A couple of Fishers

Receivers:

Fisher 500 series
Fisher 800 series
At least one Scott

And there are MANY others, but the above are common-as-dirt, usually
reasonably priced, and well-supported for schematics, repairs, most
parts and so forth. And all will recover nicely if you must sell them.
Chinese amps (at least 'new' ones) are like new cars. Drive them off
the lot and lose 30% of the purchase price.

Pay attention to the speakers you use as well. Tube amps tend to be
lower powered than most SS (TEND, not ALWAYS), and so well-made
reasonably efficient TRUE full-range speakers are helpful. Which, by
the way, are generally not cheap.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

eponymous cowherd wrote:

There isn't going to be any input on that labeled CD. How do I plug the
optical player in?

"AUX"

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA