Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default Who has more than they need??

Here is a general question/survey for the people in the RAT community

Is it me alone, or is there a connection between being a tube audio
enthusiast, and being a bit of a pack-rat?

For me, it all started with one tube radio, about 15 years ago, and now I
have enough tubes, test equipment, amplifiers, etc to stock a 1960s repair
shop. My main stereo is quite good, but a lot of the other stuff could
easily be categorized as 'junk' by someone not in the hobby (and maybe some
people in it too!)

For example - how many unused pairs of speakers do you all have?? I have at
least 5 pairs which under the stairs, in the furnace room, which I have no
intention to use in the forseable future, but don't know how to, and don't
really want to get rid of them. Same with amplifiers.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

maxhifi wrote:

Here is a general question/survey for the people in the RAT community

Is it me alone, or is there a connection between being a tube audio
enthusiast, and being a bit of a pack-rat?

Probably none.

Try 'enthusiast' combined with packrat. I have very little tube gear ( one
piece ? ) yet have quite a collection.

For me, it all started with one tube radio, about 15 years ago, and now I
have enough tubes, test equipment, amplifiers, etc to stock a 1960s repair
shop. My main stereo is quite good, but a lot of the other stuff could
easily be categorized as 'junk' by someone not in the hobby (and maybe some
people in it too!)

For example - how many unused pairs of speakers do you all have?? I have at
least 5 pairs which under the stairs, in the furnace room, which I have no
intention to use in the forseable future, but don't know how to, and don't
really want to get rid of them. Same with amplifiers.

I have several amps ( solid state - bipolar and mosfet ) kicking around - most
of my own design as it happens - that simply need a bit of TLC to 'refurb'
them.

I also have a pair of EV Sentry IVs kicking around. Few ppl know them but
they're *interesting*.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

For me, it all started with one tube radio, about 15 years ago, and now I
have enough tubes, test equipment, amplifiers, etc to stock a 1960s repair
shop.
For example - how many unused pairs of speakers do you all have?? I have at
least 5 pairs which under the stairs, in the furnace room, which I have no
intention to use in the forseable future, but don't know how to, and don't
really want to get rid of them. Same with amplifiers.

That's me. Started with table radios, now have a room of "stuff I may
use someday".
I just got rid of my 80's Jensen 400's. My nephew needed stuff, so I
quickly replaced the surrounds, and out the door they went. Whohoo!
Now they go to someone who'll use them, and not to an auction for $25,
or worse. I also managed to get rid of my old Dual TT, and an old cd
player to him, as well. Only three pairs of floorstanders left to go.

Bob H.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

I have several amps ( solid state - bipolar and mosfet ) kicking around -
most
of my own design as it happens - that simply need a bit of TLC to 'refurb'
them.

I have a similar situation - the funny thing, is usually when I build an
amplifier, it's more for proving a concept to myself, and having fun, than
actual need.

I also have a pair of EV Sentry IVs kicking around. Few ppl know them but
they're *interesting*.

So are my Goodmans triaxioms - but I haven't used them at all since 1997's,
when I got my Magneplanars, which haven't been used since 2003

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

That's me. Started with table radios, now have a room of "stuff I may
use someday".
I just got rid of my 80's Jensen 400's. My nephew needed stuff, so I
quickly replaced the surrounds, and out the door they went. Whohoo!
Now they go to someone who'll use them, and not to an auction for $25,
or worse. I also managed to get rid of my old Dual TT, and an old cd
player to him, as well. Only three pairs of floorstanders left to go.

Bob H.

I know for sure that if I was still a teenager, I would be tempted to hook
up *everything* and play some Guns n Roses, or something really loud...