Carey Carlan

Default First use of BLUE Lollipop B7 capsule

Had a chance to really audition the BLUE Lollipop capsules I bought on sale
a while back.

They passed.

Excellent pianist on a brand new Bösendorfer that cost more than my house.
The piano is bright and the mics are bright, but the combination didn't
hurt. I recorded low--about 3 feet off the ground, even with the side of
the piano--to tame some of that brightness, and about 8 feet out from the
curve of the side. I caught more pedal sounds than I would have liked, but
the Bosendorfer ended up sounding more like a typical Steinway, as I hoped.

The B7's (BLUE's answer to the AKG C12) made a fine compliment to solo
piano. Detail was excellent both in the clarity of the percussive note
strikes and in the gentle fade of the strings into silence.

Recording piano is hard. The dynamic range is intense and you have to
leave headroom well beyond what your meters show. A quiet room is a
necessity. This time I was lucky in recording on a miserably rainy, cold
November day. The audience was tiny. The AC was off. All was quiet.
This recording is going to stress most playback systems.

Would anyone care to hear a high bitrate MP3 sample?