www.HassanAnsari.com

Default How to get studio quality sound into my computer from a preamp?

Okay, I've spent soooo much money on improving my quality from an ADK
51 mic, Mackie 1202 mixer and m-audio audiophile 2496 soundcard and
still have gotten no results.

I bought a Blue Robbie preamp and nothing....

I bought a Rode K2 Tube mic and still nothing great...

I bought a Blue Baby Bottle and it's pretty good, maybe a little
better than my ADK 51... but nothing fantastic...

I bought a Presonus Eureka...it sounded great in the store with the
Baby Bottle but at home it was nothing special.

I bought a Mbox with Protools, hated the software....so I'm selling
that off on eBay right now...

I bought an M-audio FastTrack recording interface and it added hiss to
my sound, so waste of money there...

I went from my Eureka into my Mackie into and with the rca outs from
Mackie into my M-Audio audiophile soundcard...and no improvement...

So now, I want to buy a Manley VoxBox. I've tried the Avalon 737 SP at
the local guitar center and the Eureka quite frankly was just as good.
Is Manley VoxBox a good buy for hip hop / r&b vocals? I liked the Blue
Baby Bottle mic, should I stick with it?

How would I get the sound from my Manley VoxBox or even my Eureka into
my computer? I HATE PROTOOLS...so I'm not going with any Digidesign
crap. I'm using Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition for recording and
simply love it. Before I've been taking the RCA outs from my Mackie
1202 mixer and running it into my M-Audio audiophile soundcard and the
sound was pretty okay. Now I want to take the XLR outs from a preamp
and put them into my computer without losing any quality along the
way...what do I use? I've thought about running it into a ART CleanBox
and convert the XLR into RCA and put it into my M-Audio soundcard but
a $4,000 preamp (Manley Voxbox) going into a $40 equipment (ART
CleanBox) just doesn't seem right. Is there any other way? People told
me to bypass the Mackie eq and do it, but I don't know how and I'm not
even sure if it's possible with a Mackie 1202 VLZ Micro Series.

So how do I get XLR outs from my preamp to go into my computer without
any loss in quality?

What preamps / compressors / eqs / mics do you guys recommend for
vocals only? I want to record an album and I can go to a local studio
and pay $2,000 for a whole CD or buy my own equipment for about
$6,000. I want to buy my own. What do you guys recommend? The CD will
release about 10,000 copies, nothing huge.

Any comments? Any suggestions on how to get that sound that I can send
to a radio station without them throwing away the CD after listening
to the first 15 seconds of it?

I have a $6,000 budget. I can save up more money but I don't know if I
really want to spend all that money on studio equipment. My sound
quality is quite nice right now with a Mackie 1202 / ADK 51 and
M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's nothing like studio quality which you
hear on your everyday CDs though. So what do I need?

Oh, and I have Studiophile BX5 monitors, I personally dislike them
too. They aren't very helpful with bass...they actually suck at
expressing the bass of the actual track. I'm looking at Mackie
HR-824....good choice, good bang for the buck or should I calm down
and keep what I have as monitors?

Check me out at:

www.HassanAnsari.com